“Great Bargain - Very Cute Hotel Rooms”

Worldmark San Francisco
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 February 2004

We stayed at the Julianna over Valentine's Day weekend and got a great bargain on aifare and hotel package on Expedia. The hotel is centrally located about 2 blocks away from the Chinatown gates, but is in a fairly safe neighborhood, about 3 blocks from Union Square, close to major bus lines, restaurants, etc.

Very clean rooms, fairly spacious for a 3 star hotel. Nice modern European inspired color scheme and decor. Rooms were pleasant with A/C & heating unit. Pretty quiet considering it is so close to busy areas.
Loved the Aveda products, good water pressure, clean and modern bathrooms. The service was great, nice staff with a helpful attitude.
Fair continental breakfast, small store bought pastries, decent coffee and OJ. Did not partake in the wine reception, noticed the wine quality isn't excellent (but did not expect it to be) - mostly Charles Shaw wines from Trader Joe's.

Discovered a cool little bar called Tunnel Top cross corner from the hotel. Late 20's early 30's crowd, cool loft, DJ, cheap beer, relaxed atmosphere.

I later found out that this hotel also offers a 15% discount to dine at Roxanne's nearby (which once was my favorite SF breakfast place, but has become less reliable in terms of service and food).

All in all, the Juliana is better than one might expect, very comfortable, great bargain overall. Would definitely recommend it!

1  Thank SoCalHappyTravels
There are newer reviews for Worldmark San Francisco

Reviewed 18 February 2004

Stayed there Feb. 13, 14, 2004. Very friendly and helpful staff. The facility is well kept and clean, and our standard room was what I would call medium size, with a respectable amount of furniture. If you are a light sleeper, I would ask for a room that is not on the Bush side, but otherwise the noise is typical of an urban downtown. Wine beside the fireplace in the evening was fun! I will definitely consider staying here again.

Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviewed 23 January 2004

I just got back from a short term trip to San Francisco...pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Juliana Hotel. The concierge was pleasant, the breakfast was adequate, and the location was fantastic. I did a little price shopping and ended up spending $72.50 a night there...excellent deal...the concierge commented on how good the rate was! Just search a little bit, because the Juliana will match any online price. The rooms were spacious and comfortable. I also like the Aveda products that they used...nice touch. I would definitely stay there again.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 18 December 2003

Delightful, small hotel. Well situated to spend the day sightseeing and the evenings attending the theater. Staff was helpful but seemed rushed most of the time. It was quiet, well appointed and comfortable. A non-alcoholic beverage would have added to the evening wine party for those of us who do not consume alcohol. But all in all, we were delighted with our stay.

• Stayed: January 2005
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2003

I would definitely recommend this hotel. My girlfriend and I (both in our late 20's) just got back from a 4 day vacation in San Francisco. We are budget conscious travellers. This would be our first time to SF and knew that we wanted to do all the typical touristy things near/in downtown SF. We decided to stay in this hotel based upon the reviews on this website and the price (I got a standard room with a queen-sized bed for $130 CDN per night); I got this deal on expedia. This hotel seemed to offer the best location, ammenity, and price combination that I could find. I'm sure that there are better hotel deals out there, but location was a key for us. Also, we were warned by our friends that some areas of SF are quite questionable (there are some areas you definitely want to stay away from, especially if you are a single female traveller). As far as I am concerned, all the reviews about this hotel on this website up to this date are accurate.PROS:-great central location to see many tourist attractions in a pretty clean area of downtown. We ended up walking to most attractions. When something was too far, or we got tired of walking, we would just hop onto public transportation. The bus system is SF is excellent (cheap, clean, convenient, and I found the bus drivers to be very helpful and friendly). Most bus stops have maps so that you can decide what bus you need to take. The attractions we went to were: Fisherman's Wharf, Embarcadero, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park, Chinatown, Pier 39, Lombard Street, Union Square, Financial district, SF Museum of Modern Art, SF Center and Metreon shopping centers, Fillmore and Unions street shops, Japantown, Fort Mason, Marina District, Ghiradelli Square, Exploratorium, Palace of the Legion of Honor, and the Palace of Fine Arts.-felt safe at this hotel location. The Ritz-Carlton is one block away, so you know it couldn't be that bad. I did see one or two panhandlers near our hotel, but they didn't bother us. They were not aggressive or abusive. Try not to book a hotel in the "TENDERLOIN" district because there are lots of panhandlers and homeless people around. This hotel is sufficiently removed from the "TENDERLOIN" district (the area bordered by Van Ness, Ellis, Mason, and Market Street).-friendly and helpful staff.-an appreciative cleaning staff. I left a $5 tip on the pillow every morning, and always came back to a thank-you note (let's just say I've never had cleaning staff leave me a thank-you note before). And they did a good job of cleaning too.-every morning, there was juice, coffee, muffins, and danishes available in the lobby. And every early evening, there is a complimentary wine tasting. We didn't take advantage of either because our agenda didn't allow for it. However, lots of other guests did.-The rooms look just like on the website. It was clean. More than adequate for travellers that just want a place to rest their heads at night.CONS:-room size was definitely adequate for the two of us. But for larger parties, the room would be too small (I'm sure that there must be larger rooms).-the hotel is a small boutique hotel, which means that it is a nicely decorated and quaint, but it is an older hotel. The problem with this is that the windows were old and did not do much to keep out the noise from outside. We had a room on the 2nd floor facing Stockton Street (side of the hotel). Let's just say that SF has a very active downtown core and in the early morning, the street sweepers and garbage trucks are out in full force. You can either try asking for a room higher up in the hotel and facing the alley (there isn't a view from the front or sides of the hotel anyways, so you won't be missing anything), or bring a pair of ear plugs (once you have ear plugs on, you won't notice a thing).-air conditioning unit is loud, but we didn't need to use it.-I can't explain it, but there were a couple of mosquitos in our room for a couple of the nights that we stayed. I ended up with 5 bites even though I thought I killed them all (but my girlfirend got away untouched). They must have gotten in when we opened the window in the bathroom to let the steam out.-no concierge service, but we didn't need it anyways. They were some helpful pamphlets and a very helpful map at the unattended concierge desk.-the carpet on the stairs was worn, but it's not like it affected our enjoyment.SF TIPS:-If you are doing things in downtown SF, then this is a good hotel to be staying at. However, if you are doing things outside of downtown SF (i.e. NAPA Valley, Sausalito, Monterey), then you mind as well stay at a cheaper hotel outside of town and rent a car (parking is expensive in downtown SF; around $20 US a day).-We saved a bundle on transportation by walking or taking the bus when we needed to. The bus only costs $1.25 US and is good for 1.5hrs unlimited travel in one direction. The "BART" subway takes you between the airport and downtown SF for only $4.70 US/per person, one way. The ride in from/out to the airport is convenient, safe, and is 15 minutes faster than a cab, and $40 cheaper. The BART is only 5 blocks away from the hotel (Powell Street station).

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 September 2003

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Juliana hotel. We paid $106 per night and the room was not huge but it was plenty of space for 2 people...esp. if you don't spend a lot of time there. Nicely decorated and very clean.The breakfast consisted of muffins, danish, juice and coffee and was a nice addition.The wine reception in the afternoon was also a nice treat. Each evening there were also fresh baked cookies at the front desk.The hotel is in a great location and very safe. It's in walking distance to Nob Hill, Chinatown, North Beach and Union Square. Also, the cable car line runs 1 block away.Only recommendation is to ask for a room in the back as we were on the Bush street side on the 4th floor and it was very noisy during sporadic times at night and in the morning. The view from the front isn't that great anyway...a parking garage and Stockton Street. Also, ask for a higher floor.Rooms were very clean and the staff was friendly, but not bursting with knowledge or offering recommendations as someone else mentioned.Overall a great deal for San Francisco.

• Stayed: September 2003
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 September 2003

We stayed at the Juliana Hotel for 4 nights in Aug. 2003. Although we did not have a view, our deluxe room was very spacious and tastefully decorated. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and wine reception.
The staff was very nice. We felt safe in the hotel and in the neighborhood.

3  Thank flowerwatersun