“Best Mexican food in Del Rio? I hope not.”

Manuel's Steakhouse
Ranked #4 of 81 Restaurants in Del Rio
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
New Caney, Texas
“Best Mexican food in Del Rio? I hope not.”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My wife and I plus her parents went to Rough Canyon on the Devil's River section of Amistad Reservoir for a few days of fishing with my Mom and step-Dad. They have been spending several weeks per year there since the 80's. My wife wanted to eat Mexican food on Saturday night and this was the place that we were taken. My Mom and step-Dad seem to think this is a great place. They ate at Manuel's when it was in Ciudad Acuna. The reviews from our group were a mixed bag. Mom and step-Dad were completely pleased with their meals. He had the "Mexican Plate" and he says it is really good. My wife had the same meal and said it was the worst Mexican Food she's ever eaten. I had the Tampiquena (rib eye steak plus beef taco, cheese enchilada, guacamole, re-fried beans). The steak was actually pretty good, it was cooked as ordered (medium) and was nice and tender with only one small piece of gristle. It was a bit on the fatty side but not excessively. The taco was just OK. The enchilada was pretty poor, seemed like it came out of a frozen dinner but I've had some of those with better enchiladas. The guacamole again was just OK (wife thought it didn't taste at all like guacamole). The re-fried beans were pathetic (and I like re-fried beans). My Dos Equis draft was cold enough but didn't taste like any Dos Equis I have ever had (flavor just didn't seem right). My wife had a frozen margarita and said it was very bland. Wife's parents said their meals were "OK". I don't care for their tortilla chips, they are thicker than I care for and overdone in my opinion. Salsa was decent but nothing special. Service was OK, no complaints although it was not a standout either.

I would return here for steak, but I would pass on the Mexican Food and look elsewhere if I had a taste for that cuisine while in the Del Rio area. We've eaten in quite a few Mexican Food restaurants over the years and Manuel's would rank near the bottom for the Mexican Food portion of the menu that we sampled.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Stevereno_12

Portales, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wrong steakhouse”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We were told that this was the best place in Del Rio. My husband and I ordered the petite fillet medium rare. What we were served was more like a flank steak. They were about 1 inch thick with long grains of muscle with sinews, not the thick juicy, tender cut of a fillet. To make matters worse, mine was medium and my husband's was rare. When we complained to the waiter he just said, "Oh." Our dog enjoyed the steaks for two days! We left hungry and disgusted.

• Visited August 2013
North Carolina
“The Most Amazing Steak Ever”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

I've eaten many steaks at many places, but without a doubt Manuel's has the best I've ever tasted. The salad was fresh and crisp. The honey mustard dressing was delicious! The baked potato was loaded with butter, sour cream, and cheese and was cooked perfectly. The service was very fast and very friendly.
I would highly recommend Manuel's!

• Visited July 2013
Austin, Texas
“Good Food, Slow Service”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We were a large party and service was typical for Del Rio - slow. However, the food was good. Really enjoyed the chalupas. Everyone else was pleased with the quality and the quantity of the food.

Visited June 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Get The Parrillada For 2 or 4... Amazing If You Love Fajitas”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

My wife is in the Air Force based here in Del Rio and we were very excited about all the Mexican food we were going to get to eat when we got here. Unfortunately most of the Mexican in Del Rio is quantity not quality. People go for places that serve lots of food rather than great food. Manuel's is the saving grace. This place is awesome. Their Tortilla chips are to die for and if you love Fajitas you will LOVE the Parrillada. It is a Beef, Chicken, and Pork Skin Fajita trio that never gets old. 3 People can eat off of the serving for 2 so I can only imagine how large the plate for 4 is. We get the Parrillada every time we go here so I can only vouch for it. If you love fajitas you will love the Parrillada.

• Visited May 2013