“We returned based on the first dinner there” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 80 Restaurants in Del Rio
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Northampton, Massachusetts
“We returned based on the first dinner there”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

We were in Del Rio for a group trip; the group dinner was here, and it was good enough that we returned the next night. The food is very competent steaks and Tex-Mex. A nice variety of drinks, and the wine was fresh (in small towns in Texas, this is not guaranteed...)

Visited February 2014

Deer Park, Texas, United States
“The Chile Relleno all other Chile Rellenos aspire to be”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

This is the chile relleno of my childhood. The one abeula makes with the egg batter light as air, that gently clings to the pepper. We stopped here on a whim last year. This is now a destination of its own, when we plan our trips to far west Texas. The servers are friendly and knowledgeable. The Christmas decorations were beautiful! The atmosphere is cozy and chic any time of the year.

• Visited December 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“16 HOG Bikers enjoyed food and service at Manuel's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

Dinner at Manuel's, 17 Oct.13 was the most enjoyable dinners I've had the pleasure of arranging for my fellow Harley riders. Arriving at 6:00pm our tables were arranged and waiting making seating prompt. Our waitress Oliuia and the wait staff assisting her was very attentive with drinks, chips and salsa. Once our order was taken the meals were all served in less than 30 minutes. With 16 bikers you can imagine the orders were varied from Mexican food, steaks, fish, chicken and quail. I have NEVER seen this prompt service for this size group and no mistakes. Quizzing my friends after the meal all agreed their food was great to the best they have had. My wife and I each had the quail and I will say was the best we have had. Endless fresh cooked chips and salsa what else do you need..
Thanks to everyone at Manuel's for the enjoyable dinner.
See you next year en-route to Big Bend...
Rgds,
MiniMom and the RoadHawg THCCHOG

• Visited October 2013
New Caney, Texas
“Best Mexican food in Del Rio? I hope not.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

My wife and I plus her parents went to Rough Canyon on the Devil's River section of Amistad Reservoir for a few days of fishing with my Mom and step-Dad. They have been spending several weeks per year there since the 80's. My wife wanted to eat Mexican food on Saturday night and this was the place that we were taken. My Mom and step-Dad seem to think this is a great place. They ate at Manuel's when it was in Ciudad Acuna. The reviews from our group were a mixed bag. Mom and step-Dad were completely pleased with their meals. He had the "Mexican Plate" and he says it is really good. My wife had the same meal and said it was the worst Mexican Food she's ever eaten. I had the Tampiquena (rib eye steak plus beef taco, cheese enchilada, guacamole, re-fried beans). The steak was actually pretty good, it was cooked as ordered (medium) and was nice and tender with only one small piece of gristle. It was a bit on the fatty side but not excessively. The taco was just OK. The enchilada was pretty poor, seemed like it came out of a frozen dinner but I've had some of those with better enchiladas. The guacamole again was just OK (wife thought it didn't taste at all like guacamole). The re-fried beans were pathetic (and I like re-fried beans). My Dos Equis draft was cold enough but didn't taste like any Dos Equis I have ever had (flavor just didn't seem right). My wife had a frozen margarita and said it was very bland. Wife's parents said their meals were "OK". I don't care for their tortilla chips, they are thicker than I care for and overdone in my opinion. Salsa was decent but nothing special. Service was OK, no complaints although it was not a standout either.

I would return here for steak, but I would pass on the Mexican Food and look elsewhere if I had a taste for that cuisine while in the Del Rio area. We've eaten in quite a few Mexican Food restaurants over the years and Manuel's would rank near the bottom for the Mexican Food portion of the menu that we sampled.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Stevereno_12
Portales, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wrong steakhouse”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

We were told that this was the best place in Del Rio. My husband and I ordered the petite fillet medium rare. What we were served was more like a flank steak. They were about 1 inch thick with long grains of muscle with sinews, not the thick juicy, tender cut of a fillet. To make matters worse, mine was medium and my husband's was rare. When we complained to the waiter he just said, "Oh." Our dog enjoyed the steaks for two days! We left hungry and disgusted.

• Visited August 2013