“stay here if you love filth”

Econo Lodge Greeneville
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Greeneville
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I do not even know where to start, lobby is nice, the desk clerk was nice enough. That's where the good stops. We reserved 2 rooms paid for online and was looking forward to a relaxing 2 days with family. After driving 500 miles we arrived at 1 in the morning tired and in need of sleep. Room 1; I do believe the maid forgot what the vacuum was used for as we were treated to a penny a French fry, broken glass, popcorn kernels, a needle, several shreds of paper, whatever was stuck in the grooves of the boots the guy wore in the room before us (he wiped his feet good on that carpet) and numerous sticky stains. A toilet that hasn't seen a brush in weeks. Room 2; A none flushing toilet, a stench that reminded me of an old folks home and a gob of hair in the shower from the nether regions. Moved out of room 1 into another room, the mold on the wall, dust bunnies, and crawling bug was enough for us to leave, still tired and now appalled.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank alexshaw65

Reviewed 4 April 2013

The staff was very friendly but couldn't make up for the poor quality service. The rooms are very old and in need of updating but were decently clean. Our trouble started on day 2. We left the hotel about noon for the college baseball games we were there to attend. When we returned about 6:30 PM, we found our room had not been cleaned. This is not a big deal so I went to the front desk to request clean towels. The desk clerk proceeded to tell me (almost chastise me) my room wasn't cleaned because the maid came by at 9:30 AM and there was a Do Not Disturb sign on the door. She did not have time to come back because there were 76 checkouts that day. Her implication that it was my fault it didn't get cleaned. (Sorry, that's a management problem not a guest problem.) I told her I just wanted clean towels. She said she would have to find some when she had time. Four hours later she handed me the only clean towels she could find. These were supposedly the pool towels. These towels were in such poor shape I would not even keep them around to dry my dog off. They were so thin several places had holes in them. One was missing an entire corner. When my husband wrapped one around his waist, several large holes were visible. I have never seen a hotel that didn't have a set of clean towels available. Nor one that required you be up and showered 1st thing on Saturday morning in order to receive maid service. There was always some sweet explanation for every problem but no real offer of resolution.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 November 2012

We found this motel quite good, clean and quiet, the public rooms and the reception hotel-like. Admittedly the TV system was mediocre - didn't bother us - and the lack of elevators made the carrying of the luggage upstairs a bit of a nuisance, but the superb quality of the breakfast served in the beautiful dining room and the courtesy and local knowledge of the lady who checked us in, convinced us to put this motel on our favourite list. Whenever we come this way, we'll be sure to stop here.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here for a quick overnight to visit family. Hotel is on the bypass in the heart of commercial business for the town (shopping areas). It's about 4-5 miles from downtown site seeing. Hotel was clean...needs updating for sure. TVs are old style, but the beds need the most help. It was so hard I had trouble sleeping. Breakfast was hot and they make fresh country style gravy with biscuits. Also fresh popcorn at check in. Rooms best in town for price. ...there are one or two cheaper but you don't want to stay there.... Lots to do in town...check out Andrew Johnson's Home and Taylor shop, the old Jail, all the old churches. Drive out the Erwin Highway to the Amish Country Store where they make awesome frisbee sized homemade donuts....delicious-melt in your mouth! Also they make great deli sandwiches and next door a full family style restaurant to enjoy. Drive to neighboring Jonesboro for some antique shopping. Also if there in the summer, go see a baseball game at their new single A stadium - it is on the Tusculum College campus (oldest college in TN) and worth a drive by also. In summary, I would stay again, but whew that bed was hard...I may ask to check out a couple of rooms first!

Room Tip: Beds are very hard...good luck
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We didn't find the extreme issues that other reviewers seemed to have with cleanliness (and we are definitely germophobic people), but nothing was spotless, either. Most decor is outdated, and most rooms are accessed from the outside, a definite safety issue. We were given a room with indoor access, however, and did not have a problem with security or noise. Could have been a little bit better for what we paid, but it's in town and in a convenient location.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my 2 children and 2 pugs. They were extremely nice and clean. This hotel is centrally located in Greeneville. I enjoyed my stay here and I would definetly go back for a quick getaway.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
1  Thank CMWest79
Reviewed 14 July 2012

I have stayed there several times. mainly because they have a swimming pool that goes to 8ft. deep. The location is convenient for me too. The comfort Inn may look nice from the lobby but that is where it ends. The rooms are rundown and beds are squeaky. When comcast went to digital recently, they didn't have the cable updated in the room where we stayed. I have stayed at many hotels, but this is prob. one of the worst.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple