“It was like watching the battle unfold before us!”

R.C.M History Tours
Ranked #5 of 17 things to do in Sharpsburg
Reviewed 31 July 2013

This is the kind of tour that one can only hope for! My brother and I are Civil War buffs. We have had some tours where the guide is a preachy scout leader with a prepared spiel, which frankly feels more like a high school lecture. Bob Murphy's tour is like visiting with someone who actually fought the battle. His depth of knowledge and presentation give you an appreciation of how the battle unfolded and WHY the opposing armies interacted the way that they did. He explains topography and timing which gives the battle context and historical scope. He tailors his tour to the client's needs and interests. He is personable and his information and vignettes were always interesting. I could not recommend him more highly. We did Harpers Ferry as well. Bob picked us up at our hotel and hauled us around all day A great experience!

2  Thank ricohubcaps
"infantry"
"information"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 19 July 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our tour of Antietam with Bob Murphy. He was very informative. His knowledge of the battlefield and the terrain was amazing. He provides a great perspective of the difficulties facing both sides. This was one of the best tours we have ever taken. We will definitely recommend Bob to our friends and family.

1  Thank peasupe
Reviewed 16 July 2013

When planning our stay at Sharpsburg I asked Joanne, Innkeper of the Jacob Rohrbach Inn, to make reservations for us for a guided tour of Harpers Ferry and the Antietam battlefield. Joanne made reservations for us with R.C.M. History Tours. Bob, our guide, met us at the inn after breakfast on july 3rd. We did the Harpers Ferry tour first. We immediately liked Bob and we had the best time listening and learning from Bob. The man is a walking encyclopidia. Only Bob is much more fun to learn from. On july 5th we did the battlefield tour. Again Bob gave us a great tour. Being a dutchman, i have some knowledge about the battle but during the tour Bob really showed and taught me a lot about the bloodiest single day battle in american history. Thank you Bob for the fantastic tours!!!

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Bob Murphy is a master of the subject matter and the terrain and the nuances of his client's interests. You get the feeling that this fit gentleman could take you through the approaches up and over the mountains and then through the battle, all bloody day, if the client can keep up. But with me he was patient. I have never been so well oriented as I was by Bob to the South Mountain notches, to the contours of the ground, and to the flow of the battle, as I was with him. He knew the combat leaders' strengths and weaknesses, but more than that and unit sizes and weapons ranges, he made you feel like you understand how dark and rain and the challenges of communications shaped the battle. And, my special interest as a former infantry officer: logistics. Bob agreed that one of the great limiting factors in battle was ammo. When you run out, that's it. Bob is a great guide. Be sure to contact him.

1  Thank MassachusettsTourist
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We found Bob through an Internet search and were glad we did! He took us to all of the places we wanted to see and was able to tie them together in an informative way. His descriptions of the battles and skirmishes brought them to life. Just the right amount of detail to keep our interest.

If I were going back to the Antietam area, you can bet I would hire Bob to take me around again.
Anyone who has an interest in the American Civil War, who misses the Harper's Ferry / Antietam / Sharpsburg area and Bob Murphy as a guide, misses out on the unheralded turning point of that war.

Been to R.C.M History Tours? Share your experiences!