1. During breakfast make sure Joanne tells the story of the house's history.
2. If you travel from Sharpsburg to Harpers Ferry, be sure to ask Joanne for her printed travel directions down Harpers Ferry Road - don't take the freeway! Harpers Ferry Road is much more scenic and enjoyable if your a history enthusiast!
3. Have dinner across the river in Shepherdstown WV. Quaint town to walk through.
4. Had a few videos to enjoy in room, nice antiques and Civil War books
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An eyewitness to history since 1804 this award winning Bed & Breakfast at Antietam Battlefield offers a luxurious accommodations that are brimming with historic charm and gracious hospitality. Guests enjoy our spacious landscaped grounds and gardens located in the center of an historic village, little changed since the Civil War. Five lovingly restored guest rooms are within walking distance of a restaurant, an ice cream parlor, a bakery, and of course the Antietam Battlefield. Just a short drive from the Inn are several wineries, a distillery, and a microbrewery, all of which offer a diverse tasting experience sure to please any palate. Shopping opportunities abound in the surrounding area, from antique and vintage stores to the Prime Outlet Mall, you will be sure to find something special. Within minutes of the Inn guests can visit four national parks; Antietam Battlefield, the C&O Canal, the Appalachian Trail, and Harpers Ferry, as well as South Mountain State Park. Bicycles are available for guests to explore the parks and scenic countryside. The Sharpsburg area includes many outstanding restaurants. From a casual meal to a fine dining experience, there is something here for everyone. Just across the river is Shepherdstown, West Virginia, home of Shepherd University, where you will find a great place to enjoy live music, festivals and other cultural events throughout the year. Within an hour’s drive, scenic country roads lead you to Gettysburg, Berkeley Springs, Skyline Drive and the Shenandoah National Park. Just 90 minutes from Baltimore, Annapolis and Washington DC, the Inn is the perfect destination for a weekend excursion or an extended vacation. Make the Jacob Rohrbach Inn your home away from home as you wander through the countryside and explore the Mid-Atlantic, knowing that at the end of the day you will be returning to a relaxed and welcoming retreat. ... more less