“Beautiful gardens and view of lake”
Review of Winfield Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bayfield
Winfield Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bayfield
Reviewed 1 June 2013

I have stayed at Winfield Inn before and still enjoy staying there. The gardens are beautiful and very well tended, and the view of the lake is not impeded by trees. We stayed there with 75 degree weather, and enjoyed the gardens very much. It is also very quiet there allowing you to appreciate the beauty and the silence. The patio is very nice with lounge chairs, tables, regular chairs, and umbrellas. Very nice to sit on patio, read a book and enjoy the view of the lake.

The only downside is some of the rooms desperately need some refurbishment. Some of the furniture is chipped or pieces are missing. Also the chair cushions really need some cleaning and TLC. Otherwise this inn is a gem for a beautiful view and awesome gardens! I see a lot of workers hustling around, so they try very hard to keep things up to date. The owners are wonderful people and deserve a top-notch loyal clientele.

Room Tip: choose one of the condos overlooking the lake. Private terrace, and lovely views.... I love the two...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank luvscats

Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at this hotel over Memorial Day weekend 2013. It was a perfect stay. The room was very clean, the king sized bed was comfy and both the big vanity and fridge were just added bonuses to make the hotel a great value. The gardens are beautiful and at this time of year were filled with hundreds of tulips. The deck, which had plenty of seating with very nice furniture, has an amazing view of the lake and the sailboats. The weather didn't permit but I would recommend some unwind time with a cool beverage during the sunny summer months. There was also a firepit area that some of the guests were enjoying Saturday night. The owners were very friendly and personable during check in and when I sent an email enquiring about a reservation, I was called back promptly to answer any questions and confirm my reservation. The hotel is located a few blocks up the hill from the downtown area but certainly gives you easy access to any activities, restaurants, shopping or water sports you may want to enjoy. The town of Bayfield was beautiful and quaint and all the locals were extremely friendly and helpful. This was a first trip to the Wisconsin side of Lake Superior but I don't plan on it being a last.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Deanna G
Reviewed 14 November 2012 via mobile

We booked up late for a weekend getaway.. Perfect location. Staff very friendly and helpful grounds are spotless as are the rooms. This is a very reasonably priced spot to stay and I look forward to returning here in future.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Appin_Alba
Reviewed 4 November 2012

This was my second stay at Winfield Inn and it was "do over". When my first stay didn't go as well as I had hoped, I was so impressed with the way the manager handled the issue, that I decided to give it a second chance. I'm glad I did.

The condo room (#26) with the terrace overlooking Lake Superior was so nice. The quaint, comfortable room had everything one would need for a few days -- including kitchen with all the equipment. Even in the chill of October, the best part was having morning coffee on my terrace, watching the boats leave the harbor. I was pleasantly surprised by the spa tub, which preceded a restful sleep every night.

Convenient located about 1/2 mile from town, give this little charmer a try. I would suggest not only checking out the room photos online, but actually call the motel and chat about your room needs. They can recommend a room that fits you perfectly. The lake view is unmatched.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony or deck overlooking the lake, and if your budget allows, get a condo...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank SoloTraveler1967
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I like the Inn with the gorgeous gardens and the view of the lake, but some of the rooms with the balconies really need some serious renovations. The wicker furniture on the balcony is old and worn out. The sofas in the rooms themselves need to be replaced, and the carpeting needs to be cleaned or replaced. But the beds are very comfortable. We loved having a full kitchen for drinks, snacks, etc.

I would also add some lattice or some type of wall between each unit on the balconies for more privacy....

Room Tip: choose one on the balcony... more privacy...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank luvscats
Reviewed 30 September 2012

We just sort of "fell" into this beautiful place to stay! Traveling in the off season sometimes has it's perks and this was definately one of them. We stopped in Bayfield just as the sun was about to set hoping that we'd find a room. Pulled into the Winfield Inn (and they have wonderful gardens) and they had a room. After a great dinner in town and sitting on the deck overlooking Lake Superior we wished we could have stayed a week! The room was perfect. Comfortable bed, coffee pot and outside places to sit (with or without other guests). If you get to go, plan to stay a few days, you'll be glad you did!

Room Tip: we had a room on the walkout level of the building closest to the lake, however I don't think th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IndianaSuemom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We rented a Brickyard Cabin this past weekend. It was wonderful, set up well, comfortable beds, great location etc. The only complaint I could make is that the staff at the Winfield office was less than friendly. There was one person checking us in who never smiled, said hello, never asked if we were celebrating anything, where we were visiting from, if we needed any advice on things to see or places to go. While she was checking us in, two others walked in, one of which I think may have been the proprietor, and again - nothing. No smiles, no welcome, no nothing. The check in person was automated, told us where to sign on the cc slip and that was about it. She never gave us check out instructions or guest house instructions so we did have a few questions throughout the weekend that we had to call for help on - both of which occasions, we got no immediate answer and had to leave a message. That did not help us when we were trying to leave Sunday morning before they were open. The landscape/entry of the cabin is pretty rugged and looks actually a little wretched...but once inside it is very nice. There is no yard, it is all natural landscape, so it is not someplace we could bring kids in the summer and have them play outside - but the screen porch is a WONDERFUL place for evening drinks and conversation for the adults! We were there on a couples weekend and really enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Brickyard location is between Red Cliff and Bayfield...just a couple of miles by vehicle. The Red C...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank biz_e_b1984
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayfield
Best Western The Hotel Chequamegon
#2 of 2 in Washburn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
Old Rittenhouse Inn
#2 of 16 in Bayfield

Been to Winfield Inn? Share your experiences!