“Awesome Kayak trip”

Living Adventure, Inc
Ranked #1 of 18 Tours in Bayfield
Reviewed 30 May 2014

Great kayak tour around Madeline island, the tour and tour guide were very pleasant. We could go at our own pace and the view was absolutely amazing.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

Two summers ago I took my daughter and nephew (at the time ages 15 and 16) on an overnight trip with Living Adventure to Sand Island. I have been paddling for over 20 years and own my own kayak, but my experience on big water like Lake Superior is limited. The predeparture training in the bay was thorough, and I could tell we were in good hands. The paddle across to Sand Island was rigorous, with waves higher than I had experienced in a while. But we were rewarded with calm waters on the other side and an amazing paddle along small sea caves and beautiful beaches. I'm sorry to say I don't remember our guide's name after all this time, but he was amazing. He made absolutely delicious veggie-filled tortillas for dinner...and even got the teenagers to do the dishes!! We hiked to the lighthouse, where the waves crash onto the rocks in a wild and exhilarating way. The next day we paddled the edges of the island and came back to spend a relaxing couple hours on the beach. Our guide offered one-on-one instruction for anyone who was interested, and after years of wanting to learn how to intentionally dump my boat, get out and get back in by myself (in deep water), I am happy to say I am now able to do that. What I really want to share, however, is what happened on our crossing back to the mainland, because someone below made a comment about Living Adventures and safety. The winds were pretty strong on our paddle back, and the waves were crashing over the tops of the kayaks. I was in a double, as was my daughter, but my nephew Bret was paddling a single. In a momentary lapse of judgment, Bret put his hand out on the water, as if to steady the boat, but he leaned too far and dumped it. Within seconds, our guide was at his side, where he calmly instructed Bret to hold onto the side of the guide's kayak while he tipped Bret's kayak upside down and ran it across the front of his own kayak to empty out the water, then held it steady while Bret got back in. It happened so fast I couldn't believe it. Bret was back in his kayak and on the move within a minute or two, no worse for the wear. It could have been a disaster, but due to our guide's quick thinking and skill, it turned out fine. I couldn't thank him enough, but he was completely humble and nonchalant about it. I took the time to write the company a letter about this amazing young man who guided us. (I think his name is Brian.) I wouldn't hesitate to use Living Adventure again. I hope we can take a longer trip with them in the near future. the Apostle Islands are an absolute treasure, and there's no better way to experience them than by kayak!

5  Thank suev123
LivingAdventureInc, Owner at Living Adventure, Inc, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

We greatly appreciate your comprehensive comments regarding your trip experience with us. Lake Superior is certainly a formidable place to paddle and requires highly skilled guides to ensure the safety of our customers. Once that is in place, experiencing the beauty, exhilaration and fun of paddling the Apostle Islands is your only responsibility!
Thanks for taking the time to comment.
Living Adventure

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Kayaking the sea caves on Lake Superior was our main reason for the journey up to northern Wisconsin. Had been praying for decent weather but we were lucky enough to have ideal conditions, smooth water and warm - but not hot - weather. Our guides, Cory and Steven, were the best, lots of fun but professional and knowledgeable too. And the food for lunch was really good - loved the homemade hummus. Overall, LAI definitely goes out of their way to be accomodating to everyone and make it a great experience for all.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

We took the one-day sea caves kayaking trip on Aug. 21 and it was an amazing experience. Our guides were Cory and Page and they were both super. They managed to be both funny and charming while at the same time cautious and safety-conscious. The caves themselves are amazing and going into and through them in a kayak was just breathtaking. Wish we had brought a waterproof camera or an old camera we didn't care about because we were too nervous to take out the smart phone and start snapping pictures, in case we dropped the dumb thing in the water. The weather was hot, hot, hot so we were smart to wear bathing suits with light clothing over top. Follow the instruction sheet from LAI regarding sunscreen, hats, sunglasses, etc. and also bring plenty of water if it is hot. We brought extra snacks but did not need to eat a thing because the lunch they provided was really filling -- big wraps filled with turkey and fresh veggies, hummus and dippers, fresh apple slices and carrots, granola bars, lemonade and probably a few other things as well. This trip was really the highlight of our visit to Bayfield and if we ever get back there I would love to try another one of their excursions, such as the shipwreck tour. Thanks for a great day!

1  Thank ScottandJodi
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We were actually referred to Living Adventure, Inc after another sea kayaking company we had booked a trip with cancelled last minute on us. Honestly, that's the best thing that could've happened. Making the reservations was a breeze and we were lucky enough to get in on another shipwreck tour that was going out for a 3 hour tour.

We were greeted and guided as soon as we got into the driveway and after some group introductions, and a brief [yet thorough] orientation to kayaking basics we were on the water. We were all in tandem kayaks for this trip. Luckily for us, it was a rare 90 degree sunny day, with perfectly calm waters. Our guides Jenna and Paige were knowledgeable and friendly, and hung around the group asking and answering questions.

We were able to see one shipwreck, the Fedora, clearly. Unfortunately, the other one we paddled to see--the Ottawa--was not visible due to murky waters. That was fine with me, as we got to paddle through some cave-like areas and neat rock structures along the way. If you have an camera with underwater capabilities, bring it! The wreck of the Fedora is shallow enough you can reach your hand in and get some cool pictures.

We had so much fun on our short trip, that I'm definitely hoping to go on a longer one next year--maybe even an overnight. Thanks Living Adventure, Inc for a fabulous Lake Superior day!

Been to Living Adventure, Inc? Share your experiences!