“Fish Fry Friday!”

Dining options: Reservations
Chicago, Illinois, Usa
“Fish Fry Friday!”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Seriously, the best fried white fish and trout we have ever tasted. We went back for more on Saturday and paid extra because it wasn't the special. AND, the best ice cream in Bayfield! You have to order through the bar. Their Mackinaw island fudge...I'm still dreaming about! Had a cone on Friday and Saturday!

Visited May 2014

River Forest, Illinois
“Good Food, Great View, Friendly Service”
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The Pickled Herring has a small, comfortable dining room and smaller, darker bar area. My wife and I had a lunch and a dinner at the Pickled Herring when visiting Bayfield. We can definitely recommend the chili on a cold day for lunch. We had whitefish for dinner, which was well prepared but not extraordinary.

The service is great and the staff was accommodating, friendly and efficient. We would definitely return if visiting Bayfield again.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank ChrisH018
Northern Wisconsin
“First time here, not the last”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Not a huge menu or a lot of tables, but great staff and delicious AYCE Friday fish, well outside the Wisconsin norm of haddock or cod. Baked potato was al dente, but cole slaw was also great. Probably very crowded in season outside dining is available, but a little too cool on Memorial weekend.

• Visited May 2014
Holmen, Wisconsin
“Friendly service - Average food”
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

As others have noted, it's hard to find restaurants open in Bayfield before the middle of May. So during our April Staycation in Bayfield County we tried the Pier Plaza for dinner. At 5:30 it was full of locals and we had to wait about 10 minutes for a booth (good sign). We had heard about the fish fry but were a little hesitant after our Ashland experience in January. So my wife got a salad and I got the New York Strip. Both were fine and consumed, but neither was memorable. Desert was a fine cheesecake out of a box - again good. The staff was experienced - ours had been there for six years and she was the rookie- and was very helpful in suggesting things to do in the winter. Perfectly good family dining - would give it 3.5 stars if I could. Good place for a burger but not fine dining.

Madison, Wisconsin, United States
“Fantastic Burgers”
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We stopped at this establishment on the way back from a long day hiking the Ice Caves. It was after two and the place was packed. We waited at the bar within the restaurant for 15~20 minutes and had a refreshing tap. The bloody Mary's looked awesome and I had wished that I would have ordered that (they use Slim Jim's instead of celery). We were seated and attended to quickly. The wait staff was very pleasant, quick and attentive. Our food was delivered quickly and I have to say, this is one of the best burgers that I have had in quite a long time. The decor of this place was great and the view out over Lake Superior to Madeline Island was awesome. It reminded me of a fishing village in Maine. We will definitely be back later this year.

• Visited March 2014