“Wonderful stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
The Jackson Rose B & B
Ranked #1 of 11 Harpers Ferry B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We spent two nights at the Jackson Rose and very much enjoyed it. The hosts were very friendly, helpful, and accommodating. The breakfasts were delicious. The rooms were comfortable and nicely decorated. And the history of the building (for the Civil War buffs in my family) just added to the atmosphere. If we're ever back in the Harpers Ferry area, we'll certainly stay at the Jackson Rose.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DebC2012

Reviewed 16 February 2012

We stayed at the Jackson Rose for 3 nights in December just before Christmas. We arrived in Harpers Ferry off the train on a cold and dark winter evening and really appreciated Phil driving to the station to pick us up. The Jackson Rose is a beautifully decorated historic home and Phil and Deb are lovely hosts. We were greeted with a glass of wine on arrival and Phil and Deb were always happy to chat about the history of the house and the area. We were in Harpers Ferry as we have an interest in Civil War history so were particularly thrilled to be staying in the Stonewall Jackson room which was beautifully decorated and very comfortable.
The breakfasts were a real highlight and one of the best food experiences during our six weeks in the United States. Fresh, home cooked produce and something different every morning. Harpers Ferry was VERY quiet at this time of year and good food was hard to find - especially without a car - so we really appreciated the quality breakfasts!
It was really lovely to visit at Christmas as Deb had done a wonderful job with the decorations - tasteful not tacky! This place deserves all the good reviews it receives.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Maccyoz
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I had always resisted staying at a B&B before now, having feared poor plumbing and quaint but perhaps uncomfortable rooms and beds. While I can't speak for B&B's in general I can say that staying at The Jackson Rose in Harper's Ferry was a wonderful experience for this timid traveler. First the house itself is an excellent example of historical architecture, and it is stuffed full of antiques of high quality. I had the pleasure of staying in the very room that Stonewall Jackson used to plan his battle strategy. The host, Phil Hale, passing by my room while I was writing a letter at the desk next to the room's fireplace, remarked that this was the spot where Jackson had his desk. I did get a thrill up my spine from that, I must say. This bring up the host and hostess, Phil and Deb Hale. They are two charming people, very easy conversationalists with an extensive knowledge of the history of the area, and they are very willing to share this knowledge with their guests. I toured various battlegrounds and often had questions for my hosts at breakfast the next morning. Speaking of mornings, the two breakfasts I had there were delicious. Deb the hostess is an amazing baker, she had fresh scones the first day and lovely biscuits the second. Both hosts "foodies", taking great care with their menu and service. I still remember the omelette I had the first morning, truly delightful. Apparently Phil is the omelette chef and claims he learned how to make them from a chef he knew in England where he spent his youth (That's the first positive review I've ever had of English cooking).

I should mention also that my fears regarding ancient plumbing were completely unfounded, the shower was hot and water pressure better than what I have in my home. The plumbing appointments are modern and sparkling clean. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at The Jackson Rose and the next time I'm back east I will make plans to stay there again. I get to DC regularly and Harper's Ferry is within (long) commute distance from DC, so it makes a great getaway from the stress of meetings in the District.

I now consider myself a fan of B&B's, and I hope the next one I stay in is as comfortable and friendly as this one. -Mac M

Room Tip: There isn't any fitness center or pool, this is a B&B guys!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I've stayed at the Jackson Rose a number of times over the years and always find the accommodation excellent, fine even. I've never had the same breakfast, which always seem to be made up of country fare, although I do wish the portions would be a little smaller.
The local walks and the closeness to so much of our history is almost exciting.
Wonderful restful get-away and charming hosts!

Room Tip: The rooms all have different themes so I couldn't choose. It is worth asking the hosts about the...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2012

The American with Disabilities Act says the following: Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), privately owned businesses that serve the public, such as restaurants, hotels, retail stores, taxicabs, theaters, concert halls, and sports facilities, are prohibited from discriminating against individuals with disabilities. The ADA requires these businesses to allow people with disabilities to bring their service animals onto business premises in whatever areas customers are generally allowed.

I told the proprieters that I have a service dog I would be bringing and the woman taking my reservation seemed very confused and called my dog a "pet." I clarified several times that I had a "service dog" not a PET. She took my reservation but I could tell in her voice that there were problems because she said "This is a first for us." I called back a bit later with a follow-up question and the man answered the phone. He saidi "You can't bring a dog here." I repeated that I had a SERVICE DOG and that it was against the law to refuse me accommodation. He raised his loudly and shouted "Then SUE ME." He then hung up on me. I don't know if they are living in the century in which the house was built - the 16thc - but times have changed and they need to get into the 20th century, when the ADA was passed - and eventually into the 21st c. He was so incredibly rude that I would not want to stay there - but I would wonder about what kind of people would: 1) blatantly violate a federal law and 2) discriminate against someone who is disabled. One wonders who else they would discriminate against? Don't stay in a place that treats people this way.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
20  Thank saintremy
jacksonrosebnb, Owner at The Jackson Rose B & B, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2012

The first question this lady asked when she called was, "What is your house made of?"
When I replied "Brick" her second question was, “Is there mortar between the bricks?”…
After a second long rambling call with my wife, at the end of the conversation and booking she slipped in that she’d be bringing her “service shih tzu.”
We have a very large dog, which, though he loves people, is very territorial when it comes to other dogs. We have just finished a “doggie socialization” training class where he was NOT the star pupil.
When the lady called back again a third time I tried to explain that we couldn’t accommodate dogs – it would be too dangerous, but she immediately went into a rant, stating, “You have no choice, you’re breaking federal law.”
I don’t believe this to be the case. I’ve looked up the ADA statutes, and there seems to be an explicit exception for small B&Bs where the owners live on premises – Section 301, 7. A
(7) Public accommodation. The following private entities are considered public accommodations for purposes of this title, if the operations of such entities affect commerce
(A) an inn, hotel, motel, or other place of lodging, except for an establishment located within a building that contains not more than five rooms for rent or hire and that is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as the residence of such proprietor; (my italics and underlining)
I did finally (to my regret) lose my patience and say ‘so sue me’ and hang up, but only because this lady would not listen.
As one can see from our previous 57 reviews, we bend over backwards to accommodate all guests in our home.

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Phil and Deb prepared excellent breakfasts for us each day, and adjusted to our somewhat early schedule. The atmosphere is reminiscent of "the good old days", and the neighborhood is a quiet part of town with lots of little family-owned restaurants and shops. There are wonderful places to jog if you like hills and mountain views as I do. It's a fascinating one-mile walk to the center of the city. There is a large outdoor garden which looked especially charming after a light snowfall. On Saturday night, we were treated to some incredibly delicious homemade cookies. We stayed in the Linden Room which was considerably larger than most bed-and-breakfast accommodations, and had a pastoral view. The dog Roy was amazingly well behaved, never going into the kitchen (although he tried to stick his neck in without actually crossing the line).

Room Tip: Our room, the Linden Room, was my favorite.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank StevenJonKaplan
Reviewed 30 November 2011

I wish we'd understood just how beautiful Harpers Ferry was going to be before we planned our 1 night stay. What a mistake. You need to stay at least 2 nights to benefit from this beautiful place.

We loved the Jackson Rose B & B. The house is fascinating - beautifully restored and our room was so pretty and comfortable. We greatly appreciated the glass of wine on our arrival, the restaurant recommendation (Canal House across the road) and the delicious breakfast. Deb and Phil are great hosts.

We couldn't recommend the Jackson Rose more highly. It's perfect.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Quality Inn
#2 of 3 in Harpers Ferry
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
The Ledge House Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Jackson Rose B & B? Share your experiences!