“Greek food in Harper's Ferry ?”
Review of Cannonball Deli

Cannonball Deli
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I came here on the recommendation of a federal employee who works nearby. I told him I was headed to "X" restaurant and he said that I may want to try the Cannonball Deli. Well, since I am a volunteer with Company D, First US Artillery at Fort Washington NHP, Maryland; a eatery with a name connected to artillery is okay by me. They are in a basement. If you are at the corner of High Street and Shenandoah Street looking up High Street, it's the third or fourth door on the right. I had a Greek dish that begins with an "F". It was wonderful. No Costco or Sam's Club bought food and re heated. This was FRESH FOOD and big portions. The fountain drinks are refilled after the first purchase. They have Hershey ice cream at a lower cost than the "X" restaurant I was going to go to. The employee behind the cash register was the waiter. He had a Greek accent and seemed to be of college age, so I assumed he was the son of the owner. He could not have been nicer. The cook, who was also college age, never said anything to me. So, I could not detect an accent. They had six shelves of books on the far wall of the restaurant. Some were related to the Civil War and Harper's Ferry but couldn't figure out why they would have them. The place is small so I would not want diners to "overstay their welcome" so room could be made for new arrivals. Reasonable prices (as compared to other places in Harper's Ferry) and very clean. I gave the waiter / cashier a twenty percent tip. I think I have found my new default restaurant in the lower town of Harper's Ferry !

6  Thank HFC

Reviewed 18 November 2013

It's a don't miss spot, drawn in by the aroma coming out of kitchen and am glad we did. Tiny little spot below street level not many places to sit but worth it. Had the lamb gyro with salad and chips, my wife had cheessteak with salad and chips and we were both satsified. Portons are huge food is great and service was wonderful, kudos to the guys working there. PS. Don't forget to get ice cream. One little tip try and avoid the table by the door or you'll be playing doorman to avoid getting hit with the door :)

1  Thank bobertb
Reviewed 17 November 2013

It was an adequate place for lunch, and everything was good. We enjoyed everything without thinking anything was stellar. I agree with those who say it is overpriced.

My conclusion from two trips to Harpers Ferry is that the restaurants will feed you while leaving much to be desired. In other words, do count on it for exceptional food. This time, we did better by driving to Charles Town.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

This place is pretty tiny and at basement level, so it's easy to miss. They have a back deck for outdoor seating, which is probably nice in good weather. The young man working was very friendly. Good service. Most importantly, the food was sooo good. I had an eggplant parm sandwich with a salad, and everything was just so fresh and homemade tasting. My mom had a personal Greek pizza which was also great.

1  Thank Kelly P
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed for two days in Harpers Ferry lower town and ate here several times. The gyros are really excellent as is the ice cream. The portions are generously large which was important to me because I was cycling the C&O towpath and had "cyclist's appetite" from all the exercise. I did not notice this place at first as it is below grade in sort of a basement off the street. But I noticed the sign saying "eat more gyros" and, after disappointments at other restaurants in the lower town, I went here. I only wish I'd come sooner as the other places were a waste of time and money.

2  Thank Merrill C