“not sure how to rate it”
Review of Armory Quarters

Armory Quarters
Durham, North Carolina
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,147 helpful votes
“not sure how to rate it”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We were supposed to stay for 2 weeks in the B side of the house (the larger side). I guess I'll just rate it average even though the place itself was just adorable and historic. The problems we had with it were OUR personal problems.....not necessarily problems with the house. The owner stopped by right after we arrived. She was so nice and helpful I wish it had worked out (she even left a bottle of wine and flowers on the kitchen table). But as we started moving our things into the house we discovered the wood fire smell coming from the wood stove was just to much for us (we are both overly sensitive to the smell of smoke). Okay, might not be a problem...maybe we could just open some windows. We opened a few and started moving our things upstairs to the bedrooms. This was the second problem. Nowhere in the description of the unit was the original 180 year old stairs mentioned (maybe we should have known what they would be like but this was our first time staying in a place this old). They were very narrow with 12 inch risers with very narrow steps at the bend. After a few trips up and down my bad knees were gone. I figured I could just stay in the living room downstairs. Unfortunately the smoke smell wasn't getting any better and we knew even if we could get more windows open (most would not open at all) it was not going to work for us. We decided all we could do was pack up and go stay at the Holiday Inn in Ranson. I wish it had worked out because I loved the house and it would have been so neat to stay in a place with such history.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cheryl h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Clarksburg
Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband and I stayed one night here. The owner Carrie greated us at the door. She showed us in and even got a fire going for us in the fireplace. Everything about this place was wonderful including the owners. There was shampoo and all the necessities you would need there. Surprised to find a fully function kitchen and even a washer and dryer as well. Relaxing by the fire was a welcomed vacation from wifi and cable but it is also there and ready to be used if that's what you choose. The whole town is friendly and my husband and I would gladly stay at the armory quarters again when we visit. Thanks again Carrie .....you made our stay very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013
Burke, Virginia
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My Girlfriend and I stayed here for 2 nights and I couldnt complain about anything. Perfect location for a 3 min drive down Washington St. into the town of Harpers Ferry. Other than it getting pretty cold, (we did have to move the little portable heater from room to room) the house was cool, old and creepy in a good way, and perfectly set up for a Romantic Getaway. The kitchen had everything you need to cook your meals and everything was clean. I would stay here again and again. Very Pleased!

Room Tip: Bring stuff to make food...and your weekend will be great.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I stayed at the Armory Quarters with my husband and our dog for our anniversary weekend in late June 2013. We wanted to spend time at Harpers Ferry National Park and this seemed like a great option as it is only a 5 minute drive from the park. Our rate was $150 per night + tax which was reasonable given the location and pet-friendliness.

Now to the negatives - there was a lot of dust and debris (dead bugs) under the bed - my dog started to sniff as soon as we got into the room and I made the mistake of looking under there - wish I hadn't! We arrived late in the day, had a pleasant dinner at the Canal House Cafe and then made our way back to our room. It was dark at this point and not one lamp or lighting fixture was working! It was a rough first night trying to maneuver in the dark. We were able to plug in a lamp the next morning but it would have been nice to come into a property prepared room. Final comment - be prepared to BYO toiletries such as soap, shampoo, etc. I was told that the accommodations did not include breakfast but I've never heard of a place beyond a campground not having basic bars of soap and mini shampoo bottles!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank adicorleto
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed here for three nights May 30 to June 2 of 2013. Tremendous value, very well maintained property, immaculately clean, you can tell from the many notes on how to work things to the welcome basket filled with "things you might forget (like sunscreen)", that the owners the Gauthiers really know how to maintain a rental house.

You walk in, there is a small living area with cable, wifi, and books ... Well equipped kitchen. Upstairs on the second floor is a bedroom with a double bed, very clean and well maintained ( and provisioned) bathroom. Third floor bedroom has two twin beds. All bedrooms have Air Conditioning.

My 13-year old son was a little freaked out to sleep upstairs by himself so we just pulled the simple futon mattress into my bedroom and he slept on the floor, which was a ver reasonable accommodation and he said he slept great.

House is centrally located in Harper's Ferry. 7-11 is right up the street.

Tremendous value and great property!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Bodie28270
Houma, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed in the "Armory Quarters" property in early February 2013 and loved it. Its within walking distance of everything Harpers Ferry has to offer. Across the street is the Canal House Cafe, which specializes in serving natural, homemade cuisine. When I got there, there was firewood stacked on the inside and outside of the house so keeping warm via wood stove was no problem, but the owners also offer plenty of electric space heaters in case you don't want to build a fire. This vacation rental also comes with a washer and drier and a fully stocked kitchen. The master bedroom contains a comfortable queen size bed and upstairs is a perfect size room if you are travelling with children that contains two twin beds. There is also a futon on the first floor by the fireplace. If you stay there when the weather is warmer be sure to enjoy the rocking chairs on the front porch. I had a wonderful stay there and would certainly recommend this vacation rental to a friend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Justin M
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I stayed at the Burrell House (one of the properties just around the corner and under the same management as the armory quarters) with my girlfriends after a winery tour a couple weeks ago. It was cozy and charming. The house is beautiful and there is plenty of space for up to 6 (with 2 sleeping on the pull-out in the living room. It's also dog-friendly, which was nice for us so we could bring the pup :)

I had no problem getting in touch with the reservationist who was helpful and pleasant.

There is space for a fire outside, but it was a bit chilly so we used the gas fireplace. We had a tough time getting it lit and called the owner. Literally within minutes of getting off the phone there was a knock on the door and a nice gentleman lit it for us.

As an aside, I also stayed at the Armory Quarters with my Husband a few weeks prior and that place was small and cozy as well. It is heated by a woodstove (the heat doesnt seem to work quite right) so you should bring some extra blankets and warm socks if you visit in the winter! Good times! We will be back, for sure. :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Bavarian Inn
Bavarian Inn
#1 of 3 in Shepherdstown
The Ledge House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Armory Quarters? Share your experiences!