Teahorse Hostel
Quality Inn(Harpers Ferry)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$87
QualityInn
Clarion Inn Harpers Ferry(Harpers Ferry)(Great Value!)
US$143
US$105
ClarionHotels
US$95
US$90
Motel 6 Charles Town(Charles Town)
US$88
US$217
US$73
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
All reviewswaffle breakfastanyone travelingtrain stationother travelersnice staytwo nightshikersshuttlemilecanalfridgeconversationprivacy
Reviewed 29 July 2012

I stayed at the Teahorse B&B/Hostel for three nights, July 23 -25 2012. This is a wonderful lodging in any price range, and I have been fortunate to travel much of the world and stay in a wide variety of accomodations. The Teahorse is incredibly clean, comfortable,
hospitable, and includes a solid breakfast of waffles, fruit, juice and coffee to start each morning. Each bunk in the bunk rooms comes with clean towels and sheets, so travelers do not have to provide their own linen or sleeping bags. The location is very quiet and I slept wonderfully in the main bunk room. Off street parking is provided behind the Teahorse. The location is excellent; you can walk to the historic downtown in 10 minutes, or easily drive or walk out to the National Park Visitors Center. The owner, Laurel, goes out of her way to make her guests comfortable and to help out with information and rides to the train/bus station. Central air conditioning was most welcome during the July heat. The "common room" is a welcoming place on an evening for conversation, reading, or a game of chess. I meet engaging people here from Israel, Texas, and Tennessee. Not all guests I met were thru hikers on the Appalachian trail. Being of a certain age I was on a "history tour" of the region. The adjacent Anvil restaurant offers good food at good prices for lunch and dinner. There are many terrific things to see and do in and around Harpers Ferry, and I think the Teahorse is a wonderful place to stay while in the area. I would return in a New York minute.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank william2000
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Thank you for your feedback! I am glad we were able to make your stay comfortable and happy for you. Harpers Ferry and the Teahorse will welcome you on your next visit!

Reviewed 29 March 2012

For $28, you get a bunk bed plus a waffle breakfast with coffee, orange juice and a banana. The hostess, Laurel, is an angel. A transplant from Memphis, she has taught English in China, and ESL here. She even gave me a ride to the train station. Laurel has just bought a guitar, so it's hanging in the common area, waiting to be played for the first time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you very much for writing. It's always good to get feedback on what we offer. Hope you will come again - the guitar has been played several times by now - it's always fun to hear a mini-concert!

Reviewed 7 February 2012

I stayed here two nights to enjoy the Old Tyme Christmas weekend in Dec. and I am so very glad I did. This was such a pleasant experience from beginning to end. The owner is Laurel and her hostel is very,very clean. A very well stocked kitchen.Each morning Laurel makes great waffels, fruit, very good coffee and comversation. .The 1st night there were 3 other guests whom I enjoyed, 2nd night I was alone. I had my car(parking in yard) but Laurel will drive you.The rates seemed ok,I am new to hosteling so I don't know. I just know that as a woman traveling alone I felt safe and comfortable at the Teahorse Hostel. Not one single thing to complain about,.I had a great time and will be happy to visit again. Thank you Laurel for making me feel welcome.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

I enjoyed those conversations too! Glad that you enjoyed your stay - come again! -- Laurel

Reviewed 13 November 2011

This was actually my first hostel experience and I was very pleased. The rooms were on the 2nd floor--one side for women, one side for men with a common kitchen and living room. The rooms and bathroom were very clean. The men had their own bathroom and the women's bathroom was just outside the door of the women's room. Laurel was very accommodating with our breakfast hours and we loved the waffles in the morning. We passed the time in the evening playing banagrams with the scrabble game that was on the shelf. The bikes were safe in the locked shed behind the house. Laurel offered a free shuttle to pick us up from the C&O canal trail. We figured it wasn't too far and we said we'd get there on our own---that was our mistake. Definitely take the shuttle. It's about a mile uphill to the hostel. There are a couple of restaurants near the hostel. Anyway, it was great. Highly recommended. We enjoyed chatting with the other travelers during breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rene J
Teahorse_Hostel, Owner at Teahorse Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

I am so happy that you were pleased with your experience at Teahorse B&B / Hostel. Breakfast is also my favorite time listening to the lively conversation between the guests who are hikers on the Appalachian Trail and guests who are bicyclists on the C&O Towpath. Thanks for writing!

Reviewed 5 October 2011

I stayed here Monday evening as I wanted to check out Harpers Ferry National Park. They are very close to the park (maybe a three or four minute drive) and within walking distance of a nice little coffee shop and some really beautiful hiking trails. They offer only dorm style accommodations, but as I was the only female staying that night I got the womens dorm to myself. The bunk beds are fine for the price ($32 a night) and the owner is very nice. A breakfast of coffee, orange juice and waffles is included. If you are looking for a cheap, clean and safe place to stay along the Appalachian Trail, I would definitely recommend The Teahorse Hostel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo