“Great place and staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Teahorse Hostel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Teahorse Hostel
Ranked #9 of 11 Harpers Ferry B&B and Inns
Newark, Delaware
“Great place and staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I dropped off an AT through-hiking friend who is recovering from a foot injury. The staff were wonderful and the accommodations were great for a hostel. Very clean with lots of amenities. This is a great place for rest and breakfast whether you are a weary through-hiker or just visiting for the weekend from the city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I had a perfect section hike planned. We spoke with Laurel (the owner of the Teahorse) before heading to Harpers Ferry - and planned to use her shuttle service up to the Mason-Dixon line. We had planned to hike South back to the Teahorse, but our perfect hike quickly turned into a "perfect storm" after an unfortunate fall prevented us from pushing further.

Laurel was kind enough to take our call in the evening, and meet us at a parking lot adjacent to the trail the next morning, and provided us a ride back down to Harpers Ferry.

Though we didn't stay at the TeaHorse, Laurel was beyond polite, and certainly saved us! We hope to revisit Maryland to try our hike again soon. We'll absolutely stay at the Teahorse.

Thanks again, Laurel - you're a life saver.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

We stopped here and spent a great night and got a shuttle to our start point and hiked our way back and greatly enjoyed the showers after 5 days in the woods... the breakfasts are great and the owner is a super nice lady... I will definitely keep this place in mind next time I come through...

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Zachary R
Mount Laurel, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

As some have mentioned, this is a place where the line is blurred between B&B and hostel. But what it's categorized as doesn't really matter to me. Laurel was an awesome hostess. The remarks about the coldness are unwarranted. I tend to think that says something more about the reviewer than about Laurel. A lot of interesting people in the world are just a little bit harder of an egg to crack -- you just need to get to know them. Put yourself out there, and you'll get it in return.

I had a blast there, good waffles, nice clean place, and Laurel even let me make the waffles after she had to leave to shuttle a hiker somewhere. With that said, Laurel did catch me breaking the alcohol rule at the Tea Horse and we were reprimanded for that. However, after that, she did not hold any grudge against us. A mistake is a mistake, and she left it at that. We apologized, and all was good.

I had a blast there. I got yelled at and I still had a better time than some other reviewers! Maybe we just need to realize some places, some people, are different. It's not a negative thing. Enjoy the moment for what it is -- it's fun!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chris Q
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2014

I stayed at the Teahorse for a week in March. Since this is off-season for the Appalachian Trail, there were several nights I had the multi-bunk room to myself. The couple of other guests who stayed were pleasant and fun to talk to. I went to Shepherdstown each day to do research in Robert C. Byrd's papers. Laurel was a great and friendly host, and willing to chat about my research (which of course was just about all I had in my head at the end of the day). The hostel is technically in Bolivar, WV, but just a short hike down the hill to Harpers Ferry attractions.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Locust Grove, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

Ultra clean and ultra surprised at my first hostel experience. Laurel was a wonderful hostess , breakfast chef, and new friend. Best value I could ever imagine.I will return and send my friends. The breakfast was waffles and fruit and ready as soon as I got up.The computer available for guests was great for keeping up with friends and family.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Nebo, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Can’t say enough good things about Laurel’s place. She is a marvelous hostess and runs a great establishment. A welcome oasis along the Appalachian Trail, just off the trail in town, close to amenities, and just plain outstanding. Bunk rooms are clean, well outfitted lounge, Wi-Fi access, and plenty of hot water in the shower! You got to love this place after weeks out on the Appalachian Trail.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Knights inn Knoxville Harpers Ferry
Hampton Inn & Suites Charles Town
Holiday Inn Express Charles Town
Carriage Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Teahorse Hostel? Share your experiences!