All reviewsjumping pillowpancake breakfastfree pancakescamp storemini golfmovie theaterwine tastingindoor basketball courtgreat campgrounddeluxe cabinnice poolnational parkboy scoutskids activitiesgeneral storenice familycamping trip
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We recently spent three nights in a camping cabin here. Although it was a one-room cabin, it slept five. Unlike some of the other KOA camping cabins we've stayed in there was no small fridge and no TV (surprisingly, more and more camping cabins are getting TVs). The cabin did have a/c, and it was relatively clean (although dated).

When I reserved online, I had requested a more secluded cabin. Well, it was secluded, all right;-). It was quite a hike to the nearest bathroom. On the plus side, it was on the edge of the woods and had just one cabin as a neighbor, with tent camping on the other side. The cabins in this area definitely looked older; one had a tarp on part of the roof. It seems most people must prefer the cabins closer to the pool area.

This KOA is quite large. The upper section is for RVs only, and looked literally like a gravel parking lot. They pack them in tight. The main part is where smaller RVs, tents, and the cabins are located. The cottages are by the pool. Pretty much all the sites (with the exception of the camping cabins) are crammed in tight! Even the cottages are almost side by side. I will say our camping cabin had a decent amount of privacy.

There are tons of things to do here. Much of it is included in the price, so you have to wear wristbands. There's an Olympic-sized WARM pool that was wonderful. A jumping pillow, sand volleyball, outdoor basketball court, and indoor basketball court. Big gameroom, lounge area with TV and board games, and snack bar. Big general store with essentials, toys, household goods. There's even an indoor movie theater with real movie seats, and a real movie screen:-). It was a big hit with my kids in the evenings. One night, we were the only ones in there.

The campground is in a great location. I walked from the Harper's Ferry Visitor's Center back to the campground; there's a trail that will lead you to the road by the campground. It's also an easy hike from KOA to the Murphy Farm, which has a scenic viewpoint of the river. Charles Town is a short ten minute drive for restaurants, grocery stores, and the like.

I like to bird watch, and there were so many pretty birds here. I had fun watching a big woodpecker trying to peck a hole in the wall of the restrooms. I also saw two deer at the edge of the woods one afternoon.

We stayed on a Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday night. Wednesday and Thursday the campground was pretty much empty. Friday afternoon it started to fill up. Most other campers were very courteous, but one group of college aged guys were drinking and quite loud. They were still at it after midnight, but fortunately had quieted down some. Personally, I would not want to stay here in a tent due to the close sites, and the "wierd" set up: the tent sites seemed very random, some with more space and others barely room for a small tent.

Room Tip: Camping cabins on hill are older, but more private.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank kren250
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Overall, this was a nice campground and we would return again. But, there are a few things that would have made this stay better. First, as you read in other reviews, the sites are very small and cramped. The fire ring for the site behind us was just outside our bedroom window! Fortunately, our neighbors moved it before firing it up. We had a pull through site, which was nice, but it was not level and was so short that while positioning our RV ( a 30' travel trailer ) my truck was blocking the roadway. Of course, before I could finish setting up properly, another camper needed to come down that road, so I had to rush to get unhooked. Because of that, my camper was not level side to side. Luckily I carry a 6 ton bottle jack to be able to change a tire when traveling, so I jacked up the low side enough to put a 2x8 under the wheels. Problem solved. But, overall, maneuvering is tight.
They advertise free wi-fi. Well, since it's "free" I guess you can't complain, but it is terrible. No or very intermittent connection, even when around the camp store.
Our site did not have a sewer connection, so I had to use the dump station when leaving. It looks like there used to be two stations, but one is not longer in use. Plan your departure time carefully or you will be waiting in line. They have water there to rinse, but it is a long tube hanging from a pole. Good if you want to insert it into your drain pipes, but of no use if you want to hook up the black tank rinse provided on newer RV's.
On the good side, there are plenty of activities and the staff is very friendly and accommodating. We asked for a delayed 1:00 PM check out and it was no problem. Although I think the normal 11:00 is a little early. Bathrooms were pretty clean for the most part. When you have kids coming in from the sandy play areas, they can't be spotless all of the time. The pool was nice. They had a free wine tasting and each Saturday at 5:00 PM they fire off a civil war replica cannon. That was cool. The free pancake breakfast was nice, but the pancakes are the only thing that is free. Everything else from coffee to sausage costs money. Bring your own drinks!
For civil war buffs, this campground is ideal for exploring Harper's Ferry, Charles Town and Antietam battlefields. There is also river rafting and tubing close by.
Overall grounds were kept clean and there was no shortage of staff running around on carts keeping an eye on things. Quiet hours were well observed.
Like I said up top, we would visit this campground again, but we will be very selective of our site.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jtb1422
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We decided to rent two cabins for four adults and two kids. While the cabins are fairly small, this was enough room for the weekend. The campground has plenty to do including a heated pool, bounce are, and bike rentals. The kids had a great time and with wine tastings the adults did too. Overall a great experience. I will say that the camp ground and RV section looked pretty crowded. We did not have any issue with quiet hours and our cabins were right near the pool and basketball court. Overall really good experience.

Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The place packs you in...even the pull-through sites. This was just too close for comfort; in order to uncouple and recouple,we had to hold up traffic, then park our vehicle perpendicular to our camper. We left early in the morning so that we could do this at our own pace. Having said that, the location was perfect for us, since we were planning on seeing the Harper's Ferry and Antietam National Battlefields. There were a lot of things to do for kids, which probably explains the $16 resort fee (even though we used none of those fun things).

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjhardesty
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our weekend away in Harpers Ferry KOA. The kids loved the playground, huge trampoline, free pancake breakfast, mini golf, and riding bikes around the area. We just went and it was fairly crowded so I can understand how peak season would be a bit much. The staff was incredibly kind, and even gave us complimentary dog treats for our canine camper. We had a pull thru RV spot without full hook-up and it was large. The hook up spots are pretty close together. Bathrooms are nice with private shower rooms (loved that). Would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family