All reviews jumping pillow pancake breakfast free pancakes camp store mini golf movie theater wine tasting indoor basketball court great campground deluxe cabin nice pool national park boy scouts kids activities general store nice family camping trip
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First of all, I want to say that everyone who worked at the KOA was helpful and friendly, and that all the buildings/bathrooms were clean and well maintained.

That being said, the sites here are SO close together and practically on top of each other. This was the first time I have camped in a KOA (usually we camp at national parks etc), so maybe this is normal but it was a bit intense. We were very lucky that we had a been given a tent site on the edge of the woods and didn't have anyone directly next to us. Even in this spot the other campsites were stuffed in and would have been rather awkward to have someone THAT close.
Also, if you are looking for quiet - you may want to look elsewhere. Because this is a family friendly campground, which is great, there are a TON of kids EVERYWHERE. We were kept up (despite quiet hours) and woken up at 6:30am by kids running around and screaming- there were bikes and scooters left in the roadway and generally kids running the roads everywhere. I'm not saying this is KOA's fault at all, I just wanted to be honest in case you were in fact looking for a more private, quiet camping experience.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I stay at Harpers Ferry KOA every Halloween and 4th of July. After today,we will never return there again. Harpers Ferry use to be my favorite place. The KOA has alot of dead trees and once my cousin was sitting down in his chair and lucky for use he had gotten up 5 seconds before a big tree limb almost hit him. We informed the staff about their dangerous trees but they dont listen about what you have to say. Their trees are usually dead and end up falling on peoples trailers which is very dangerous. Today we had a bad storm. My family and I were sitting in our camper and saw the wind come and came out and took care of our stuff. My mom and sisters and I were in the trailer and my dad went outside to bring something in. All of the sudden a huge tree crushes our truck. It was terrible. The staff really didnt care. The tree was 99.9% dead. Now that would of been very dangerous if a trailer was places there. Also,there are strange cats running around at night and I didnt like that. And I dont like how they let random people visit for the day. We will never ever return to that dangerous campground again. Stay safe if you do go to Harpers Ferry KOA.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Brianna74
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family and I camped here for the 4th of July and we have mixed feelings. As others have noted, the spots are very small. We pitched two tents and trying to find a suitable flat surface was not possible. There is significant water(?) erosion throughout out so there are ankle breaking ruts all over. The campground is really crowded but the staff is phenomenal. The comfort stations are nice but the water pressure in the shower is awful. The general store is great but expensive and the laundry facilities are also top notch. Our 3 night stay cost us $50 for wood but at least they deliver in to your campsite. There is a lot for kids to do, the air pillow, slip and slide and pool were big hits with my 5 and 6 year old. They loved the pancake breakfast as well. There is some nice hiking around. Our biggest complaint was that quiet hours are not enforced which is annoying when you are packed in like sardines. All in all we had a great time but I am not sure we would camp here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JBGramz
Reviewed 1 July 2014

My family had a small reunion here. I stayed in a cabin and my brothers each had their own RV's with them. My cabin was small but nice. It had a queen size bed and there was a small room off the back with two bunk beds in it, so the unit slept four people. It had a small bathroom, a small refrigerator, a microwave and a television. There is no kitchen. There are no drawers for storing your clothes and no closet to hang anything. It does not come with any towels or bedding so you have to bring EVERYTHING. When you come into the campground you stop at the registration desk and sign in. They give you a wrist band that you have to wear everywhere to get access to various facilities. The facilities include a large swimming pool, mini golf, bounce house, basketball and volleyball courts, wine and coffee shop, general store, play rooms. Each campsite and each cabin has a firepit and a picnic table. It appears they are in the process of building an additional building for inside activities. In the meantime, some of the current facilities are in dire need of repair, especially the mini golf course. As you will see from other reviews, the camp sites are on top of each other. Instead of getting in as many sites as they could they should have paid more attention to making more attractive and comfortable sites. They advertise they have WiFi but it is almost impossible to use, even if you can get on it you won't be able to download anything. Phone service is almost non-existent. There is an outdoor activities company just down the street that has zip lines and adventure courses that are a blast. They also have kayak rentals, river rafts, paddle boards, etc. You can also go into Harpers Ferry and visit many museums maintained by the National Parks Dept. People dressed in the costumes of the 1800's show you how people lived back then. Antietam National Park is about an hour drive from here. You can visit the museum there and you can purchase a CD to put in your car and drive from designated sites and listen to how the battle unfolded at each site. A great history lesson learned in a fun way, the whole family will enjoy this.
If you are flying in, the closest airport is Washing Dulles. It is about 75 minutes from the campground and is a lovely drive.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank DonnaSebastian
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We recently spent three nights in a camping cabin here. Although it was a one-room cabin, it slept five. Unlike some of the other KOA camping cabins we've stayed in there was no small fridge and no TV (surprisingly, more and more camping cabins are getting TVs). The cabin did have a/c, and it was relatively clean (although dated).

When I reserved online, I had requested a more secluded cabin. Well, it was secluded, all right;-). It was quite a hike to the nearest bathroom. On the plus side, it was on the edge of the woods and had just one cabin as a neighbor, with tent camping on the other side. The cabins in this area definitely looked older; one had a tarp on part of the roof. It seems most people must prefer the cabins closer to the pool area.

This KOA is quite large. The upper section is for RVs only, and looked literally like a gravel parking lot. They pack them in tight. The main part is where smaller RVs, tents, and the cabins are located. The cottages are by the pool. Pretty much all the sites (with the exception of the camping cabins) are crammed in tight! Even the cottages are almost side by side. I will say our camping cabin had a decent amount of privacy.

There are tons of things to do here. Much of it is included in the price, so you have to wear wristbands. There's an Olympic-sized WARM pool that was wonderful. A jumping pillow, sand volleyball, outdoor basketball court, and indoor basketball court. Big gameroom, lounge area with TV and board games, and snack bar. Big general store with essentials, toys, household goods. There's even an indoor movie theater with real movie seats, and a real movie screen:-). It was a big hit with my kids in the evenings. One night, we were the only ones in there.

The campground is in a great location. I walked from the Harper's Ferry Visitor's Center back to the campground; there's a trail that will lead you to the road by the campground. It's also an easy hike from KOA to the Murphy Farm, which has a scenic viewpoint of the river. Charles Town is a short ten minute drive for restaurants, grocery stores, and the like.

I like to bird watch, and there were so many pretty birds here. I had fun watching a big woodpecker trying to peck a hole in the wall of the restrooms. I also saw two deer at the edge of the woods one afternoon.

We stayed on a Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday night. Wednesday and Thursday the campground was pretty much empty. Friday afternoon it started to fill up. Most other campers were very courteous, but one group of college aged guys were drinking and quite loud. They were still at it after midnight, but fortunately had quieted down some. Personally, I would not want to stay here in a tent due to the close sites, and the "wierd" set up: the tent sites seemed very random, some with more space and others barely room for a small tent.

Room Tip: Camping cabins on hill are older, but more private.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family