“Our favorite campground...take the reviews with a grain of salt”
Review of Harpers Ferry KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harpers Ferry
Harpers Ferry KOA
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have camped at Harpers Ferry KOA several times. After reading the reviews, I felt compelled to write my own and say "take the reviews with a grain of salt".

We have had different sites each time we've stayed. Yes, there are some that are small and unlevel, but for the most part we have had good luck getting a good site to fit our needs. The bath houses, pool, and other activities are in a central location, with most of the camp sites surrounding them, making it good for people with children in tow (we sometimes camp with our grandkids). If you want a shaded site, request it when you make a reservation, because there are some on the right, coming in, that have absolutely no shade.

FREE pancakes every morning. Enough said.

Some of the reviews stated that quiet hours were not enforced. Every time we've stayed here, quiet hours HAVE been enforced. When we stayed a few weekends ago, we saw a staff member come by on a golf cart, stop at the travel trailer in front of ours and ask them to turn their music off. It was 10:05pm. Quiet hour starts at 10pm (stated online and in their brochures). The music wasn't bothering us, but we could hear it at our campsite. We were not traveling with children. Maybe if we had been it would have been a nuisance past 8:30-9.

Bathrooms could have been cleaner at times, but I blame that on unattended children sent to the bathrooms by themselves. Staff was regularly cleaning, several times a day.

We've also camped here during hard rains. No trees have ever come down anywhere in the campground that I've seen or heard about.

Overall, this is a great place for couples or families. Clean, a lot going on if you like that sort of environment. Worth a try, definitely.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kimberly W

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

My family spent two nights here and have to stay, probably the worst ever. Two days earlier, we stayed at a KOA in Charlottesville, VA that's was the Hyatt compared to this hole. Unattended youth running through camps all hours of the night. College kids having frat parties till 4am. Bathrooms by the bunkhouse were deplorable! For the price they charge, it's unacceptable. Will not come here ever.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Akmk1212
Reviewed 26 July 2014

This is an RV park and as such, it has a lot of big RV's crammed in but also has a lot of stuff to do like mini-golf, game room, pool, and activities. We stayed here for a family reunion and were able to use the pavilion. The free pancakes in the morning were nice, and the campstore was extensive. As usual, you can have quiet neighbors or partying neighbors -- Thursday through Sunday, they have a couple of guys on a cart as security. Great access to Harper's Ferry park and town.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My family wanted to visit Historic Harpers Ferry and staying at the KOA Kampground was a great choice for our family of 4, including 2 teenagers. We rented the 2-room cabin. The main room had a kitchenette, futon, kitchen table and chairs. There was an area for bunkbeds and a separate bedroom with a full size bed. The cabin was clean, appliances clean. There were AC units in both rooms. The kitchenette had a microwave, coffeemaker, stove top and full size fridge/freezer, and this allowed us to save $ on food expense during the vacation. There is a Food Lion, Dollar Tree and Walmart just 6 miles down the road for supplies. We had a problem initially with the television and maintenance came and fixed the problem with the outside wire as soon as we reported it. Maintenance also came immediately to spray when we noticed ants (to be expected in this setting). The cabins are near the pool and so at times it was very noisy. A walk to the other side of the camp made me realize they were having a much quieter stay; however, the convenience to the pool was good for us. We brought bikes but didn't really need them. The campground is not really a good setting for bike-riding. The jumping pillow was fun (for all sizes too). The movie theater is great and they offer movies all day long. The miniature golf course was fun but is in great need of repair and updating. A few young men got rowdy and foul mouthed in the pool area, and staff quickly dealt with their bad behavior and took them to their parents. I was pleased that this was not tolerated and handled quickly. There were a lot of activities scheduled throughout the day and plenty to do. We arrived on a Tuesday and left early Saturday morning. The amount of people increased greatly beginning Thursday evening. I think it would have been a little too crowded for my liking over the weekend. The campground is very convenient to Harpers Ferry National Park (literally next door). There is a shuttle bus that runs every 10 minutes from the National Park to Historic lower town of Harpers Ferry. I would highly recommend staying here if your goal is visiting the Historic Park or other local activities. The sites may be a little too small if your goal is a relaxing getaway vacation destination spot.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Sara E
Reviewed 20 July 2014

First the positives: Betty, who met us at the gate was helpful, polite and directed us where we needed to check in. The grounds seemed to be maintained decent enough (questionable on the mini-golf). Bathrooms were not as clean as could have been but that as probably due to some of the patrons. Most sites are the usual for KOA's, nearby neighbors but enough room. The campground couldn't be situated much closer to the National Park grounds as is adjoins it. And, it has its own part in the history of Harpers Ferry.

Now some negatives. Our site, lets just say this, should never have been listed as a site. A small gravel tent pad that could not accommodate our 10x16 tent. We tried to situate it on the site but drainage ditches (or runoff ditches) on either side of it limited that as did the multitude of tree roots all over the site. We ended up on the embankment just off the road. When it rained or should I say poured, the water ran through the two ditches and unfortunately, underneath the tent. I apparently missed the beginnings of the third ditch that ran under the tent. This site, if you can call it that, should never have been turned into a site. The site was chosen by staff and since the campground wasn't full, why they would consider putting anyone on this site was mind boggling. There were tons of other available sites.

I knew it would be a bit on the pricey side, after all it was a KOA. And, it had a bunch of things for the kids. Yet, to pay over $50 for a site with no hookups ($8 resort fee included) and have it as bad as this, was disappointing to say the least.

Another thing was that when I booked I indicated we had a dog. We even called to verify they took our breed. I paid in full online, or so I thought. When we got there I was charged another $2.12 for the dog. Possibly for the dog park, which we never used! I guess it wasn't included in the resort fee!

We never bothered to try to change sites. I decided I shouldn't have to point out the obvious. We simply opted to make due with what we were dealt and I decided to post my opinion here. After all, if they treat one guest this way, they will treat others the same.

Some words of advice. If you stay here, enjoy the area and even parts of the campground. Do not stay at site 285. If you do, bring a really small tent and good ground cover.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank dunkledore
Reviewed 15 July 2014

First of all, I want to say that everyone who worked at the KOA was helpful and friendly, and that all the buildings/bathrooms were clean and well maintained.

That being said, the sites here are SO close together and practically on top of each other. This was the first time I have camped in a KOA (usually we camp at national parks etc), so maybe this is normal but it was a bit intense. We were very lucky that we had a been given a tent site on the edge of the woods and didn't have anyone directly next to us. Even in this spot the other campsites were stuffed in and would have been rather awkward to have someone THAT close.
Also, if you are looking for quiet - you may want to look elsewhere. Because this is a family friendly campground, which is great, there are a TON of kids EVERYWHERE. We were kept up (despite quiet hours) and woken up at 6:30am by kids running around and screaming- there were bikes and scooters left in the roadway and generally kids running the roads everywhere. I'm not saying this is KOA's fault at all, I just wanted to be honest in case you were in fact looking for a more private, quiet camping experience.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

My family and I stay at Harpers Ferry KOA every Halloween and 4th of July. After today,we will never return there again. Harpers Ferry use to be my favorite place. The KOA has alot of dead trees and once my cousin was sitting down in his chair and lucky for use he had gotten up 5 seconds before a big tree limb almost hit him. We informed the staff about their dangerous trees but they dont listen about what you have to say. Their trees are usually dead and end up falling on peoples trailers which is very dangerous. Today we had a bad storm. My family and I were sitting in our camper and saw the wind come and came out and took care of our stuff. My mom and sisters and I were in the trailer and my dad went outside to bring something in. All of the sudden a huge tree crushes our truck. It was terrible. The staff really didnt care. The tree was 99.9% dead. Now that would of been very dangerous if a trailer was places there. Also,there are strange cats running around at night and I didnt like that. And I dont like how they let random people visit for the day. We will never ever return to that dangerous campground again. Stay safe if you do go to Harpers Ferry KOA.

• Stayed: July 2014