“Casual, very good food.”

The Anvil Restaurant
Price range: US$6 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Groups, Romantic, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Casual dining in a rustic atmosphere. Established in 1985, local produce featured in season. OPEN Wednesday - Saturday 11 am to 9 pm, bar and slots open later. OPEN Sunday for brunch 10 am. Will open for private parties of 40 or more on Monday or Tuesday. Private rooms available for groups small to 100 inside. Tented patio for special outdoor events up to 150
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We loved the salmon and WV trout! The service is friendly service and the atmosphere is relaxed. We will return.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This place was a short walk from where we stayed, and it had good reviews, so we decided to give it a try. We had filled up and wine and snacks before arriving, so we decided to just order coffee and dessert.
When we walked in, a waitress immediately asked if we'd like to sit in the dining room or pub. The dining room is more formal (white table cloths and all!) and the pub was much more casual with dimly lit wooden booths. We opted for the pub since it was more our style and we weren't having a full meal. We ordered coffee, which came quickly and was surprisingly good. There was a pretty wide variety of desserts including regular menu items and specials.We ordered the pineapple dump cake - which was a special for that night. It was absolutely delicious and came warm with a side of vanilla ice cream (with a dusting of cinnamon on top).
The service was prompt and friendly, the coffee & dessert was excellent, and the atmosphere suits your needs weather you're looking for formal or casual. I would definitely go back here again!

1  Thank Nikki S
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I was looking for a restaurant that could hold 15 people after a white water tubing trip. They can certainly hold that many people and they have plenty of parking. They are about one mile outside of town and the main historical area. I do not suggest organizing a large group for a meal in town since parking is horrible.

The food was okay. We ordered the crab dip in bread bowl and mussels. Mussels seemed like a small portion but they gave us more bread when asked. The butter garlic sauce in the mussels was excellent with plenty of garlic. I ordered the main dish, WV Trout. I wanted to substitute the pasta with alfredo that came along with the trout but was told that the only item that could replace the alfredo was fries. Salad or any other item was not allowed. The trout was fine but I've had better. It was very thin so I filled up on the fries. Many ordered sandwiches and was surprised that the prime rib sandwiches were very thin slices of meat that looked more like roast beef. Not what I imagined prime rib to be.

Besides the food, the staff was extremely friendly and patient with our large group. Half the group made it to the restaurant almost an hour before the others and the staff gave us a private room while we ordered appetizers. The decor is very comfy and country. Bathrooms were clean.

Nothing to rave about but good enough for our purposes.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I live and work nearby. I have their crab cakes every time--very good! Have been for friends' lunch; business lunch; and office holiday party. They handled all these gatherings well.

1  Thank 123carolyn123
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Since we were in town on a romantic getaway, we were looking for a nicer place to eat one night, and given the lack of decent restaurants in Harper's Ferry, this is about it. The restaurant is divided into three sections - the bar/causal area in front, the more formal dining room in the middle, and an enclosed porch at the back. We showed up late on a Saturday evening and chose to sit on the back porch, which we had to ourselves. (There were a decent number of people in the other two areas.) Our server was a bit newer on the job and it showed, but was attentive and very friendly. I'm vegetarian and had checked to see that they had a few options available, which were decent, if not particularly memorable - except for the "Hippie" moniker given to the veggie sandwich and pasta. A lighthearted title, perhaps, but a subtle nod that a plant-based diet is far from mainstream in West Virginia. ;-)

Nonetheless, both my wife and I were satisfied. The French Onion soup hit the spot as an appetizer (especially along with their perfectly warm and crisp rolls) and the potatoes au gratin that came with the entrees (as the "starch of the day") were fabulous. Probably the best part, to be honest.

We pretty much shut down the restaurant since we arrived so late, but didn't feel rushed at all, even as the staff were cleaning up and closing down other parts of the restaurant. All in all, a good meal, nice ambiance and a decent value. (Our hotel had coupons for $5 off a second dinner entree, which you can also print yourself from the Anvil's website.)