“We probably won't go back....”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Southern Smoke BBQ

Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Seating
Dining options: Seating
Harpers Ferry, WV
“We probably won't go back....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

We sat there 5-10 minutes & almost walked out. They were out of mac & chz which I really wanted. We are locals & heard the BBQ was amazing but my food was cold & I was over it. No one asked how we were. The owners just stood around talking the entire time. It is a cute caboose car but we probably won't go back.

Kittanning, Pennsylvania
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not sure they actually want customers.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

We decided to spend a day with our teenagers exploring Harper's Ferry. After a day of walking in the heat, we were hungry and VERY thirsty. We picked this place because it looked quaint and interesting. We were the only customers in the place and waited over 5 minutes for a young girl to even acknowledge us and ask what we wanted to drink. We all ordered Pepsi - which were 20 oz bottles priced at almost $2 each. After waiting another 5 minutes without receiving those bottled Pepsis, we decided to leave. The two waitresses (both very young looking) were in the back talking as we walked out the door. As a side note, their prices seem pretty high. My daughter was going to order a grilled cheese sandwich which was listed for $9.43. That seems a bit overpriced to me - especially given the lack of attention to their customers.

1 Thank amy_sky
Akron, Ohio
“Under new management - good food, good price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2009

I believe this place (in the old red train caboose) is now called "Hannah's Train Depot" and has recently changed ownership. Our innkeepers recommended it - we initially passed it up because they don't serve beer, but after an overpriced, substandard meal elsewhere, we decided to give it a try. I had a fried oyster sandwich with mac and cheese, and my companions had the pork barbecue sandwich with fries and the crabcake sandwich with fries. Most meals come with one side and are priced so they come out to exactly $10 with tax. That's not too bad, especially compared to the other choices in Harpers Ferry.
We were all very happy with our meals. The portions were excellent and the food was delicious. It's nothing too fancy, just good old Southern food. I tried the barbecue and was AMAZED - it doesn't even need sauce to be delicious - that's saying something! However, the sauce that came with it was great, too. I loved my oysters and side of mac and cheese. It came with tartar sauce and that was all it needed.
The service could've been friendlier - not to say they weren't friendly at all. They were just kind of on the apathetic side of friendly. At any rate, it's still a great option in Harpers Ferry and I hope they are successful.

2 Thank BuildingHugger
Harpers Ferry, WV
“Great BBQ!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2007

While this place is a hole in the wall, the BBQ and cole slaw are great!!! Since I am not a snob, the ambiance was not as important to me as the taste of the food. I am a huge BBQ fan and I do not like every BBQ sandwich I taste... however the BBQ at Southern Smoke is excellent. My husband and I love it and return as often as possible to get our fix satisfied! The workers are down to earth, common folk, and my husband and I love catching up with them when we visit.

3 Thank powellme
Atlanta
“Absolutely dreadful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2007

You'd think that in a town noted for its ties to American history and with all the visitors coming to Harpers Ferry, there would be more than one or two decent restaurants. I guess we picked the wrong day to go to HF because only a couple of restaurants were open. We chose Southern Smoke BBQ because we were hungry and we were attracted by the train theme. What a mistake.
We should have known we had picked a loser when there was only one other couple there at meal time. The chicken sandwich was 90% dark meat with a gloopy sauce that could have just as well been ketchup. The fries were hard as rocks, probably from sitting under a heat lamp too long. The waitress took our order and promptly disappeared to talk on her cell phone. We had to ask the owner for the check. We complained about the quality, of lack thereof, of the food. The owner expressed doubt, saying we had the first complaints he'd had in years. Obviously the folk in HF had never had authentic Southern BBQ. Trust me, this isn't it.

7 Thank Janet H