“Spectacular Dinner Experience”
Review of Babcock House

Babcock House
Ranked #1 of 4 Appomattox B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We did not stay at the B&B but drove 25 miles on Saturday night to have dinner there on a strong recommendation On arrival we were pleased to see beautifully maintained grounds and a classic 19th century inn that is very well maintained. On to dinner. Was it the best dinner I've very had? No. Was it in the top 10 ever? Considering the whole dining experience (food, service, ambiance price) most certainly... yes. We were seated promptly and from the beginning started noticing the little things: the cloth napkins folded fan shaped in the wine glasses, classic cutlery, etc. They only have about eight entree selections on there menu.....lamb, beef, seafood, chicken were all among the choices and one of the somewhat unique things they do is to standardize the side dishes. In other words the menu said all entrees came with "potato, vegetable, salad and soup" and there were no choice there which I suspect is done to simplify matters in the kitchen. Everyone got a spinach crab bisque that was hands down the best crab bisque I've ever had. The salad was fresh cold and served on chilled plates. Rolls were homemade and had just come out of the oven. One choice only on the potato (smashed) and veggie (al dente asparagus spears). My crab cakes were excellent, others at the table had a rib eye and seared scallops and were very happy with them. Service, well above standard. Price, much less than I would have expected. Two entrees, a beefeater martini and a bottle of chardonnay for $69? Really? I wish we live closer because we'd be back a lot more often

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank steve58224

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We were touring in the area and stayed here at Babcock House for one evening. Very clean and inviting. We arrived late and the key was secreted away for us. We had a nice omelet for breakfast and then on to the surrender battlefield. All in all a nice stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank James C
Reviewed 7 January 2014

If your travels bring you to Appomattox, VA, we strongly suggest you stay at the Babcock House Bed and Breakfast Inn My wife and I had the pleasure of staying there recently. We were greeted at the door by Inn keeper Sheila who welcomed us to the Inn and brought us to our room--the Annie Laurie room (also suggest you request that room). Annie Laurie was the last of the Babcock family to live in the house and we stayed in her room. It was excellent....We also chose to have dinner at the Inn (it was extra but well worth it). My wife had the rib eye steak and i had the duck, both of which were excellent (By the way, you don't have to stay at the Inn to have dinner there as it is also a public restaurant. A full menu, wonderful food and reasonably priced)...The next morning, we had a full breakfast which was included. I had a crab creole omelette which was excellent, while my wife, still full from dinner, had eggs...After breakfast, we drove to Appomattox Court House National Park and had a tour of the McLean House which is where Lee surrendered to Grant. We also drove around the Park to see different historical sites...It was an incredible visit due in large part to the Babcock House.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bostontraveler215
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My wife and I picked this Bed and Breakfast for a quick weekend anniversary getaway. We reserved the most expensive room, which was really nice. Checked in late on a Friday night, the owners left a key for us and enjoyed Saturday visiting the rich civil war history that Appomatax has to offer. We returned home Saturday evening from dinner and OH to our surprise!!!!! The Bed and Breakfast had booked a wedding party and they were partying. Alcohol in the house and outside the house. The dining area of the home was also being used by the wedding party and let me tell you this go-go type wedding party was extremely loud. I finally called the owners/managers and they told me it should quiet down around 10pm. I was in disbelief. I paid good money for an room at a bed and breakfast and I had a CLUB type atmosphere in the same house. I would suggest if you book this bed & breakfast you double check and triple check to make sure they don't book a party on the same night. Would you believe I didn't get a Sorry or anything the next morning. In my opinion they collected more money from the wedding party vs. my $350 night stay- So they sacrificed customer service for greed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: We picked the largest room they had to offer, bedroom w/ living area. Very spacious. Over top of t...
4  Thank 3Opinion
Talia C, Owner at Babcock House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2015

I am so sorry that you had such a disappointing stay. As of November 2015, we are under new ownership. If you ever are back in the area, I hope you will consider giving us another try.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

We booked late and accepted their last available room, which was their disabled access room. So we were aware that we would have a small bedroom and a large bathroom. It was a pleasant surprise to find a proper coffee maker and fresh coffee provided in the room. When we decided to make a reservation to have dinner there we certainly got it right!! The chef and joint owner cooks everything himself from fresh ingredients. The steak was superb and the crab cakes were full of crab and not potato filler. The bisque and spinach soup was a lovely surprise and the bread and butter pudding could almost float off the plate. We really looked forward to breakfast in the morning and the blueberry pancakes did not disappoint. Appomattox is not a place renowned for fine dining but the Babcock House is a little oasis of dining excellence. This would have been a 5* review except for the noise, we know Appomattox is a railway town and the whistles come with this, but an hourly chiming clock outside the bedroom is an unnecessary addition.

3  Thank Wiltshire_Eddie
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed 3 nights and enjoyed dinner at the inn each night. The innkeepers cheerfully accommodated this vegetarian. Dinner prices were very reasonable. Immaculate room, walking distance to the small downtown area with a wonderful bookstore and antique shops. Short drive to the new Museum of the Confederacy, which was very impressive. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hold_the_meat_please
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We spent a night at the Babcock House before visiting Appomatox Battlefield. It was absolutely great, the accomodations and the hosts. The rooms were very quiet, very nicely decorated and the rate very reasonable. The breakfast was fantastic. We normally shy away from bed and breakfast accomodations unless we know from friends or prior stay but I would recommend staying here without hesitation. Absolutely great.

3  Thank larryplainspa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Appomattox
1 mi away
The Carriage House Inn Bed and Breakfast
Super 8 Appomattox VA
Super 8 Appomattox VA
#2 of 2 in Appomattox

Been to Babcock House? Share your experiences!