“Everything right--but”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moab
The Mayor's House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 15 Moab B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Mayor's House seems to have everything: location, beauty, amenities, comfort, cleanliness. But during our two nights there, we found it to be mechanical and sterile, without life and warmth. We asked for something cold to drink when we arrived, but "nothing was available." We asked about after-dinner coffee and were told that would not be possible because their pot made 8 cups. When we went to breakfast we were told exactly where to sit. There were no smiles, no greetings. Thankfully we were able to enjoy a happy conversation with the other guests, with whom we had some connection through residences. There is nothing really wrong here, but it just felt so cold.

4  Thank Shirley D
There are newer reviews for The Mayor's House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed 27 September 2013

This B&B was just right for my husband and I as we explored Arches and Canyonlands for 4 days. I searched forever to find a place that had a pool & hot tub; was located within walking distance of the downtown strip but in a quiet area and had a good breakfast - oh, as was also reasonably priced. Mayor's delivered 5 stars on all of these points.

The pool and hot tub are very well-maintained - a little oasis after long, hot days of hiking. We had the pool to ourselves every time we used it too.

The breakfasts - well, all I can do is rave like the other guests. Not only were they superb, but they provided great fuel for the day.

Not only was Mayor's easy walking distance to downtown, but also to Milt's - a delicious greasy spoon (highly recommended for your burger & fry dinner night).

David and Carey were excellent hosts, and always ready with great advice, but only when asked. The room was immaculately clean.

Just a note on the B&B experience - this is not your kitschy, over-done Victorian. I know some people have certain pre-determined expectations when it comes to the aesthetics of a B&B. If you are looking for a "charming" experience, this might not be the B&B for you.

I did struggle a bit between 4 and 5 stars for one reason - I have to agree with other guests who have noted the absence of natural light in the lower bedrooms. I have always had trouble sleeping when there is no natural light (in basements, on ships). I just couldn't get a good night's rest on the lower floor. But I ascribe this problem to myself and not the B&B. Still, my advice would be to book on the upper level, if possible.

1  Thank T. Maria
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I just returned from Utah, where we spent 6 nights at the Mayor's House in Moab. Our room (The Indian Room) was roomy, clean, and comfortable. We had fresh towels and trash removal daily. David and Cary were great hosts and gave us excellent information about the area, and the breakfasts were outstanding! The heated pool is a nice touch. The property is lovely. I highly recommend the Mayor's House to anyone staying in Moab, Utah.

2  Thank BJL-40
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We enjoyed 4 nights at the Mayor's House and have only positive things to say about our stay. Moab is a beautiful location with so many things to do and the Mayor's House is a great base to explore from. We stayed in the Indian room - a room on the lower level with a private bath; lovely, comfortable and very clean. The breakfast was always a highlight of the day, the two hosts always helpful and welcoming, and at the end of the day it was great to relax in the hot tub and pool. Would we go back......absolutely !

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Just a few blocks from the main drag is an oasis of peace and quiet at the Mayor's B&B. The pool/hot tub are perfect after hiking in the spectacular high desert in the surrounding area... so much to see and do.

To address comments from other reviewers: room decor is, as they say, dated... but clean, comfortable and spacious... and seriously, who goes to Moab for the indoor view?

Every B&B is different, and there also seem to be broad regional differences. I've been to B&Bs within an hour's drive of a big eastern city, and they want to present a charming or romantic experience... often going over the top and being overly precious ("twee" is a good word to describe that kind of place). The B&Bs I've been to in the West, Mayor's House among them, seem to provide ample comfort and amenities with less emphasis on atmosphere/charm. So I don't really care if the decor is from the eighties.

Food was fresh, tasty and abundant. The hosts will accommodate guests' needs (e.g. early reservations for rafting).

To address other reviewers' comments about the "moody" host... part of the reason we like B&Bs is to get to know about a place from locals. Every B&B owner we've met is quirky in his/her own way. They're not employees paid to act nice, they're opening their own home to guests and as everyone is with their home, they have their own way of doing things. B&B hosts are not cookie cutter, and for me it's fun to get to know their different personalities.

Every B&B has a set of unwritten rules and expectations (though often they ARE written) that a guest should be sensitive to. Otherwise you might as well stay in a chain motel.

David and Carey have local roots and shared a lot of inside information about the area. They both have a good sense of humor. And they're both talented artists.

I liked them a lot, and I would stay at the Mayor's House again if I ever go back to Moab.

Room Tip: Floors a little creaky so might be quieter to stay on main level.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lizpagan
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My wife and I rated this B&B as outstanding. We had the master bedroom for two nights. We particularly liked the breakfasts and thought our hosts, Cary & David, to be exceptional in hospitality and knowledge of the area. We enjoyed the pool and sitting on the outside deck off the bedroom. We highly recommend this B&B to others.

Room Tip: We recommend the Master bedroom.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Mayor's House for 3 nights during a tour of the National Parks in July 2013.

Whilst it's good value for money I didn't think it was amazing for the following reasons;

* Reserving a room at the B&B was quite a strange experience. As it's now 2013, we are pretty used to booking online, so I filled out their form on their website (twice) but after 1 week never heard back. I then emailed them directly and got no response. I then resorted to calling (so old school) and made a booking. Even upon asking for an email confirming my reservation (which is kind of standard), I got an answer saying "it's in our reservations book". If this was 1995 then fine but I just found this kind of strange.
* The room (the Indian Room) was in the basement with no natural light, and I mean virtually none whatsoever, it was like being in a prepper's bunker without the canned food. It was seriously depressing. The main lighting was very bright neon which may work in a hospital but not for a B&B.
* The 'no locks' rule. We both found it strange that we were not given keys to our room. Upon asking about this, we were instructed not to lock either our room's door, or the door to the basement rooms as there wasn't any crime. This just felt a bit unnerving as we both had laptops, iphones and ipads in our room. All it takes is for one dodgy guest....

On the plus side, the rooms were spotless and the breakfasts quite delicious, so if you were to book a room that is NOT in the basement area I think you may enjoy the whole experience a lot better. In line with the other reviews, the owners are also very nice. The location is good and a mere 10 mins walk to the main road.

I must admit I felt Moab as a town was over-rated and I think two nights is more than enough, the main street was just a main road and it was overall pretty charmless. I don't know why so many American friends raved about it. Maybe I was missing something. I just found it overall pretty drab, nothing like Springdale, Utah which is the town on the border of Zion National Park which was a great spot. Arches was amazing though, as was Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point State Park!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple