“REAL mixed bag with this one.....”

Lazy Lizard International Hostel
Ranked #16 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Moab
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“REAL mixed bag with this one.....”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Okay, so I stayed here as part of a 6 week road trip through the US National Parks. I had been on the road for a while, so quite frankly I would have slept on a park bench.

This hostel was basic, but for $10 a night you can't complain I guess. I went for the 'private room' as I had camera gear etc. But saying that, the place was pretty safe, I never felt anyone was dodgy there. The room was basic as expected, but the windows wouldn't close properly. Which made it very cold at night.

The people there were the 'life transition' sorts. Most were recovering alcoholics, bankrupt etc. They were harmless on the most part, but expect to have 'pro-gun'/conspiracy conversations etc.....

Staff..... Well, most were good. One was pretty vile, gave all new guests attitude. Oddly, despite the hostel being pretty empty, he told phone enquiries they were full, so he avoided taking deposits etc. I had this issue (but turned up in person and got a room no problem).

On the whole, it is cheap - and in Moab that is no bad thing. Stay here, but be aware there will be compromises.....

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Drewunalkat
TheLazyLizard, Owner at Lazy Lizard International Hostel, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
I'm not really sure where to start on this one. Needless to say if I had an employee who was turning away business when we had availability this would be of great concern to me. I wrote to Drew hoping to get more insight, but did not get a response. Luckily I was able to find his name in our book and was able to see that he stayed with us in late May and what room he stayed in. On the night he checked in we were completely full and in the room he was in had a previous name whited out. It would appear he got a room only because of a cancellation. I'm not sure why he thought we were on the empty side. He stayed just before Memorial Day weekend, our busiest weekend of the year. We spend a week or two every year before this holiday answering the phone over and over again explaining the we have no vacancy. I believe I have solved this mystery.
I found that the window in the room did shut just fine and even if it hadn't it would not have been cold in late May. If the room was cold it would have been caused by the air conditioning.
I also would not categorize the budget travelers who stay with us as bankrupt alcoholics. I think we get a fine bunch of folks here as a general rule. I don't doubt that Drew did get into a "pro-gun conspiracy theory" conversation here, but if you come here expecting to have such a conversation I think you will be disappointed many more times than not.
Other than that, thanks for a somewhat positive review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 26 July 2013

cheap hotel Moab, Utah

Cheap, However very nice, very clean. Moab, Utah has the lazy lizard hostel, which you could easily miss if your not from the area. The phone number is (435) 259-6057 the address is 1213 S Hwy 191 Moab, Ut 84532. My experience was excellent, the staff was friendly yet respected your privacy, again the rooms are really just private cabins, with plenty of distance between you and your neighbors. The facilities are very suitable especially when your looking around town in a tourist location like Moab Utah, the cheapest hotel is 175 dollars a night. As far as the actual room you get, it is very clean and bug free. I stayed during the hottest summer months without bug or pest problems. At 25 or 30 dollars a night you cant beat that price for a scenic vacation in Moab. It sure beats camping at 15 dollars a night with its fair share of pest problems. The best part was the convenient location to area shopping and free wifi access which you may not get camping. All of that, while maintaining the camping feel with your private cabin and stunning view.

Room Tip: i personally liked the private cabins, very spacious and clean. however as i understand it you can h...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Colorado
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I LOVE that the Lazy Lizard offers showers for a small price ($3) per person. The LL is my go to spot to freshen up while camping in Moab. I will say, the showers aren't for the sissy- they are pretty rough around the edges, but they always have good hot water and good water pressure.

Sure the people at the front desk usually aren't very friendly or happy to see you - but I am always so happy to put on my flip flops, pay my $3 and head into those showers to get clean!

Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Seattle
Reviewed 29 June 2013

We stayed for one hot night instead of camping during hot spell. We stayed in a 4 bunk cabin with our 2 & 4 year old kids. Everyone was friendly, the place was clean, the 'swamp cooler' kept the room at a cool temp and it was quiet on the premises. we would totally come back and stay multiple nights.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank mattwatrous
New York City, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2013

It is right next to a storage place in the industrial part of town. We were greeted by one of the rudest people we met on our trip. We really didn't think much of it given the affordable price. What was most concerning was the state of the cabin we rented. Filthy, with hair everywhere and a spot of blood on the mattress. We had our own sleeping beds, but the idea of sleeping on someone else's "period" was not my cup of tea. The guy didn't want to hear it and wouldn't change our cabin. We left and went to Slickrock campsite. Basic, same price, but clean. Avoid this place.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Moab hotels

utah
Reviewed 13 June 2013

We rented both levels of the Watermelon House that is managed by the Lazy Lizard Hostel. We needed a place for our family that had enough bedrooms and bathrooms to house all 24 of us in our family. We found that in the Watermelon House. This place is not fancy, very basic in its amenities, but it had what we needed. The upstairs was where we had the majority of our meals because of the size of the upstairs. There was not an oven upstairs, but because there was one downstairs, we were okay. All the basic kitchen stuff was there in both levels. The couches were pretty old and broken down, one that I didn't dare sit down on because I was afraid I would never be able to get out of it, but the grandkids didn't mind. The beds were mostly comfortable (I'm used to a memory foam so don't listen to me if you like beds with springs).

I have to say here that the first night, the downstairs was rather stuffy for sleeping. The air conditioning had not been used much yet this year and because it was a basement, hadn't been needed. However, it was getting very hot in Moab and they had trouble sleeping. I called the Hostel and they were there that afternoon with a unit to put in the window and the rest of our stay there was quite pleasant. I appreciated that they took care of it quickly.

All towels and bedding were provided and there were soap bars available.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank zeeone
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This place was cheap and we didn't expect much at all however we had hairs in our bed and it looked like someone had had an abortion in the womens toilets due to an abundance of blood in the toilet. Not good. If they cleaned the place well it would be good value for money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DryBeaverCreek
TheLazyLizard, Owner at Lazy Lizard International Hostel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Well, that's no good. We use static cling sheets in the dryers that usually take care of the hairs on the sheets. Sorry if some slipped through. The bathrooms are cleaned regularly. When things need attention like the situation mentioned above we can take care of them right away if anyone mentions them to us.
Again we are sorry for any unpleasantness, but I feel fairly confident in saying that the great majority of our guests don't find hairs on their sheets or bathrooms full of blood.