“Handy Location but "tired"”

The Virginian Motel
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Moab
kelowna
“Handy Location but "tired"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

The receptionist was less than welcoming. The room was very dated and not immaculate. However, the wifi was good and the location quiet and within walking distance of the main street.
No breakfast and no laundry.
Overpriced for what you got - altho' Moab is rather overpriced.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eaglebudd2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

I've been staying at The Virginian every couple of years for at least 20 years. Its a good 1970's motel, but its beginning to get a bit frayed. I love its location a bit off the main drag and its quiet because of that. OK for photographers, cyclists and hunters, but one's significant other has to share a taste for the spartan retro.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank phototype
Alamosa, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

One of my favorite Photo Workshops is in Moab, UT. Working with the same group, we photograph different areas of Arches National Park or Canyonlands (which are both huge), on a regular basis. My priority is the Workshop - we leave early for sunrise shots and stay out late for sunset/evening shots. It's close enough from my home that I can drive, and I carry food to economize further. Call me cheap. I located this motel years ago, when I attended the first Photo Workshop there. I usually stay three or four nights. The rooms are large, and a kitchen makes it perfect for me. I spread my things out on the 2nd bed, put food in the fridge, and leave the Do Not Disturb sign on my door. My belongings are not disturbed, which means I don't have to lug my computer, etc. with me everywhere. (The Office is aware I'm there for photography; my sheets don't need changing [saves water], they provide many towels, I'm fine.) I tip before leaving as if the staff has taken care of me, because they did, by respecting my privacy. I've done this several times. This motel is centrally located, there is a green area to the East with a little creek. Some breakfast places are very close to here, downtown is a few steps away. I've often walked many places from there, including the Visitor's Center and P.O. During most of my stays here, the place is extremely busy. In an expensive place like Moab, this motel suits me fine - and leaves me more cash for other things I love in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank jane_g_co
Hobart
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed here two nights and I had a room in the back block which had two queen beds. The bed was comfortable, everything worked, though the coffee maker hadn't been cleaned after the previous guest. I found the air conditioner very loud during the night but appreciated the coolness. Overall I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here, but if you're just looking for a bed and the basics at a rate cheaper than the chains then it is a good option to consider.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank TassieRambler
Crossville, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

The room was clean enough and the beds comfortable. I did not want to spend a fortune on a room that I was only going to sleep in. After a long day at Arches, the cool room of The Virginian was most inviting.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joe W
Salida, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

We booked a room here because of the rate and the fact that they didn't raise the rate on Friday and Saturday nights. We had asked for the "senior rate" they offered on their website and they said they would honor that.
The room had 2 queen beds, a small table that seemed like it would fall apart at any moment and a old style TV. We couldn't find the remote and called the front desk person who said it would be on the table between the beds. After moving the table, we found in on the floor behind it. The sink in the bathroom was cracked and stained. Not very appealing. Over the shower head was a rusted hanger for soap etc. Looked like it came from the dump.
It was hot as expected in Moab at this time of the year so we needed to use the a/c. The unit was old like everything else and cycled on and off every 5 minutes and was quite noisy. Even the low fan was annoyingly noisy. And why can't they buy sheets that fit the mattress instead of those that pull off the corners as soon as you lie down?
At checkout I reminded the front desk person that I was offered the "senior rate." She nodded her head, ran my card and said "sign this" and then handed me my receipt for the room. I didn't look at it until I got home and realized they did not give me rate I expected.
This place looks like it has not be updated since the 80's and we got the feeling that they won't be doing that. They have a sweet location and don't need to I guess.
There are other places to stay in Moab that we will investigate for our next trip. The Virginian is off our list.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank COHarleyTraveler
Sekiu, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

We had planned to stay at another motel upon arrival at Moab for a 4 days stay to photograph the area. The other motel just did not fit the bill so while I was sitting outside I hit the garmin and checked out other centrally located hotels. This one sounded interesting so I called and we headed over to take a look. We where greeted with a big smile and given a key to check out the room. The room is fairy spacious, clean and had a kitchenette and 2 queen beds, new Ac/heater and was very comfortable. If traveling with a dog and like to do your own cooking this is a good place to stay. The motel is back off the main drag, behind the Moab Diner (my favorite Moab food joint). The motel backs up to the Moab river park and only 2 blocks away is a bark park.. This place has a very comfortable feel to it and will stay here again our next trip out this way. the winter rate was 39.00 and 10.00 for the dog a very reasonable price.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family