“Great place in Moab”

Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Moab
Portland, Oregon
“Great place in Moab”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

This hoel really surprised my goup of 10 folks coming back from Bonneville speedweek. This budget friendly place was super clean and had the brand new comfy matresses that others had mentioned. The location and parking cannot be beat as we were able to walk to Pasta Jays and the Moab Diner. Both by the way I would recommend highly. We pass thru here every year for speedweek and and can assure this was a nice chwnge from teh Apache and will definately return. The front desk receptionist was not too friendly but was efficient with checking in all of us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank choptopmerk51

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I are traveling for 8 weeks with our dog. The Virginian is dog friendly. We loved Moab but there are many nicer places to stay. The room was basic and clean. The front desk greeter was surly and looked like she had just rolled out of bed. There is nothing special to note about this hotel. We stayed one night and that was enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Stayed here two nights while hiking in the area. This place fit my budget, which was not easy in Moab. The room was very clean and comfortable. The mattress was brand-new, which was a nice feature. The hotel was right next door to Canyonlands Jeep, where I was renting a vehicle for back-road driving, and across the street from my favorite Mexican restaurant in Moab, Fiesta Mexicana. This meant that the location, price, and quality were perfect for my needs. The price may be lower because they are off the main drag and not as easy to find as other locations in Moab. However, it is worth the effort.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Oxford, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

Location excellent for walking main street of town..manager very helpful and friendly. Room very clean..frig, micro, coffee maker, hair dryer. Moab lodging is very pricey. This was a great bargain for 2 with 2 queen beds at $69 plus tax per night. The mattresses were okay. Plenty of parking..noticed pet friendly. Definite recommend

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HappyTravelerRoatan
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Yes, I agree with every other reviewer. Moab is an expensive place to stay. It's a tourist town, and all the motels are pricy. When I was booking a room, the chain places were $175+ per night. The Virginian was close to downtown (a block off US-191--right behind the Moab Adventure Center) and about $80 per night.

It's definitely an older place, and the decor is dated. There is no breakfast or guest laundry. My room had a kitchen with a stove and refrigerator but no microwave. I didn't even notice this until I went to reheat leftovers in the non-existent microwave.

My one and only complaint about the place was that the kitchen and bathroom had tiny bugs crawling around. The lady who runs the place apologized and told me that they are annoying but harmless. Apparently, they are a seasonal thing, and there isn't much anybody can do to get rid of them. She said that the bugs are attracted to water (it's the desert, remember), and at least they weren't in the rest of the room. She offered me another room, but it had the same bugs. Oh well.

Otherwise, the room was clean. Parking was adequate, and it was an easy walk to downtown Moab. There is a laundromat up the street, and I ended up going there to wash my clothes. The place was decent overall, and I would stay there again if I were in Moab.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

So, last minute tried to make plans on a busy weekend, and was striking out all over Moab. I called the Virginian and 2 rooms were left. I snatched the kitchenette upstairs room for $70+ and was very pleased by our stay. Plenty of parking. Centrally located in town, pet friendly (we didn't bring our dog this trip) and we will definitely come back. It made me think why spend another $80 per night for a pool? So this didn't have a hot tub or pool. We were out all day anyway. Shower had excellent pressure, and beds were comfy. Not 300 thread count maybe, but heck...The money we saved fed us for both days!

Room Tip: Kitchenette and large fridges! Bonus.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ccook22
Sedona, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

We were traveling on New Year's Eve back from our family gatherings in the mid-west. We decided to stop in Moab. This was our second time in Moab, a very expensive, but extremely cool town. Traveling four days in a car with two kids and two dogs, we needed a place that didn't give us a problem when paying cash (without keeping our first born as a deposit), something affordable since we were basically just sleeping, clean, and would accept our dogs. This was, admittedly, not our first choice but the (i assume) owner was very accommodating and pleasant. I left telling my husband "Geez, she was nice, compared to some people I encountered at other hotels." The room was clean and large, she gave us a kitchen option but didn't need that. Great rate and an overall great little motel.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family