“Our Moab Basecamp”

Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Moab
Denver, Colorado
“Our Moab Basecamp”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I have stayed at The Virginian several times over the past 15 years. It makes a great, economical base camp. The local eatery Moab Diner is right across the street, for great green chile and breakfasts. Downtown is an easy walk of a few blocks. The rooms are simple but adequate. Many rooms have kitchenettes, which is great if you want to fix a few meals to save money. It tends to attract the hiker/mountain bike crowd. People get out early, ride hard, and settle down to quiet nights by 9 or 9:30pm.

Room Tip: I've never had a bad room here. It's all good.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Russ K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Our family stayed here for two days. It was such an awesome hotel, I could not ask for a better experience! The room was huge, and very very clean! Huge bathroom with a full kitchen, and they are pet friendly. The staff was very nice, the lady at the front desk was really down to earth and made it feel like home! It's within walking distance of so many shops, and 3 minute drive to the Arches National Park. The best part was the price! If we would have stayed at the expensive hotels we would not have gotten nearly as much as we did here! Every time we come to Moab we will be staying here! Don't waste your money on the chain hotels, this one is by far the best to stay at in Moab!! Very private and quiet, with a small creek behind it!! Very very happy with our stay! Thank you for making our Moab experience great!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Cristymyets
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 August 2013

This hoel really surprised my goup of 10 folks coming back from Bonneville speedweek. This budget friendly place was super clean and had the brand new comfy matresses that others had mentioned. The location and parking cannot be beat as we were able to walk to Pasta Jays and the Moab Diner. Both by the way I would recommend highly. We pass thru here every year for speedweek and and can assure this was a nice chwnge from teh Apache and will definately return. The front desk receptionist was not too friendly but was efficient with checking in all of us.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank choptopmerk51
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I are traveling for 8 weeks with our dog. The Virginian is dog friendly. We loved Moab but there are many nicer places to stay. The room was basic and clean. The front desk greeter was surly and looked like she had just rolled out of bed. There is nothing special to note about this hotel. We stayed one night and that was enough.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
NYC
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Stayed here two nights while hiking in the area. This place fit my budget, which was not easy in Moab. The room was very clean and comfortable. The mattress was brand-new, which was a nice feature. The hotel was right next door to Canyonlands Jeep, where I was renting a vehicle for back-road driving, and across the street from my favorite Mexican restaurant in Moab, Fiesta Mexicana. This meant that the location, price, and quality were perfect for my needs. The price may be lower because they are off the main drag and not as easy to find as other locations in Moab. However, it is worth the effort.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Oxford, Alabama
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Location excellent for walking main street of town..manager very helpful and friendly. Room very clean..frig, micro, coffee maker, hair dryer. Moab lodging is very pricey. This was a great bargain for 2 with 2 queen beds at $69 plus tax per night. The mattresses were okay. Plenty of parking..noticed pet friendly. Definite recommend

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank HappyTravelerRoatan
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Yes, I agree with every other reviewer. Moab is an expensive place to stay. It's a tourist town, and all the motels are pricy. When I was booking a room, the chain places were $175+ per night. The Virginian was close to downtown (a block off US-191--right behind the Moab Adventure Center) and about $80 per night.

It's definitely an older place, and the decor is dated. There is no breakfast or guest laundry. My room had a kitchen with a stove and refrigerator but no microwave. I didn't even notice this until I went to reheat leftovers in the non-existent microwave.

My one and only complaint about the place was that the kitchen and bathroom had tiny bugs crawling around. The lady who runs the place apologized and told me that they are annoying but harmless. Apparently, they are a seasonal thing, and there isn't much anybody can do to get rid of them. She said that the bugs are attracted to water (it's the desert, remember), and at least they weren't in the rest of the room. She offered me another room, but it had the same bugs. Oh well.

Otherwise, the room was clean. Parking was adequate, and it was an easy walk to downtown Moab. There is a laundromat up the street, and I ended up going there to wash my clothes. The place was decent overall, and I would stay there again if I were in Moab.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo