“Comfortable with Good Amenities”

The Virginian Motel
Ranked #19 of 34 Hotels in Moab
Rochester NY
“Comfortable with Good Amenities”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

We were directed to The Virginian as the only place in town with a vacancy, on a crowded day in Moab. We were pleasantly surprised. Great location along the main drag, near good restaurants. The room was humble but perfect for our needs, with a kitchenette, easy chair, and free wifi. AAA-discounted $79+tax felt like a real bargain, compared to other busy towns we had visited.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Utah
Reviewed 9 April 2009

Spent all this time writing a review for a motel that isn't on TripAdvisor! Ha ha. Virginian Motel. I give it a 3/5. Cheap (75 bucks a night) but old.

I stayed here last night for business. It's good if all you're looking for is a place to crash for a night or two. If you're one of dem tursts or traveling with a family you might want to find a different place to stay. However, there are some very good things about this motel you should probably know. After taxes it was $77 for my one night stay which is about 30-40 bucks cheaper than the average motel/hotel in Moab, which right off the bat is a plus. It's right in downtown but just off the main drag (70 E. 200 S.) so once you get your stuff in your room and get settled in you can walk out and hit the town. Those are probably the two best things about it but here's a list of pros and cons just to make this review more complete.
Pros:
-Right next to a creek, which is always a plus for me. I love flowing water. I think there was even a path running along it but I was in too much of a hurry to eat to find out.
-Reservation was easy to make and due to a cancellation I got a bigger room.
-Microwave, fridge, shampoo, soap, towels, (don't remember if there was a coffee maker), etc.
-The bathroom had a heat lamp installed, which I thought was pretty cool, though I didn't use it.
-$10 per night for an animal
-AC unit worked perfectly (cold air and the fan, at least, I didn't try the heater)

Cons:
-As you may have figured out, though I haven't explicitely said it, the place is pretty run down. It just looks and feels old. It's got the whole "visiting grandma as a kid" feel to it. Sink is cracking, pipes are loud, old wood, old smell. I'm guessing the management realizes it would take a lot of money to get this place looking nice again and that's why it hasn't been done.
-Like I said, the pipes are loud. I had a warm shower but I wanted it a little hotter, however, as I turned the faucet handle the pipes shrieked like a banchee and I didn't want to wake up everyone else in the motel so I settled for the warm shower.
-After my shower I wanted to clear the steam from the bathroom so naturally I turn on the fan. Well, the screeching fan is louder than shower pipes! It was like scraping the metal fingers of a rake along a tin roof. Criiiinnggeee! So I just shut the door and let the bathroom stay humid.

All in all, a perfectly fine motel stay. Didn't need much, didn't expect much, didn't get much. 3/5