“Excellent Guided Mountain Bike Tour”

Solfun Mountain Biking
Ranked #41 of 65 Tours in Moab
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I had read the reviews prior to travelling to Moab to make sure I could get the best guided tour possible. Solfun from start to finish were excellent. Prior to booking I sent many emails to Allan so he could gain an idea of the places I have ridden and an idea of my biking experience. I took the risk and booked three days so I could get a varied amount of trails on my visit. Before going the only problem that I had was that I had to ring the US from England, which isn't the easiest of things to do. It took a while on the phone but between myself and Pat we sorted a booking.

When I arrived in Moab and the first day of biking arrived, it was raining. Before my pick up time, Pat had rang me in my motel room to explain that the ride was to be postponed until the afternoon. I thought this was excellent to let me know what was happening. When the rain subsided, I was picked up and taken on the Slickrock trail by a guide called Eric. He was fun, very talkative and could tailor the ride to myself and the other riders experience. Lunch was provided which was also very good.

On the second day, we were shuttled to the top of the Porcupine Rim trail. This was a fantastic route well guided by Eric as it is a difficult trail for people who haven't ridden it before. The reason we were shuttled up to the trail is because another group were booked that day and some fantastic organisation by Pat ensured that we could get on with a good ride.

On the third day, two groups were taken to the Bar-M trails. One group went with one guide while I was taken out by Eric with three others again. This was also great fun. The Bar-M trails were easier to tackle after a couple of hard days on the trails. This suited the group too as others weren't as experienced. This was noticed by Eric who let the two stronger riders ride on and he stayed back to coach the other two.

All in all, great fun and I would really like to visit again.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Alan and Pat Poertner of SolFun are simply the best. I spent two full-days with Eric - one of their guides last week. The time I spent with Eric on the trails and Allan and Pat off the trails was just fantastic!

Eric and I had a blast riding the following trails:

First day: Poison Spider Trail/ Mesa to Little Arch.
Second day: Amasa Back trail, riding all the way out to Pothole Arch.

Allan was even kind enough to lend me some clothing items that I did not have with me as I was not completely prepared for the cold temperatures of January.

Allan's wife Pat was also very nice to offer me, Eric and his family a fantastic dinner after the first day of ridding.

In summary, Allan, Pat and Eric were simply superb!

I would highly recommend SolFun to anyone considering riding in Moab.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

We took a half-day ride and lesson with Phil Wichman through SolFun, based in Moab - and had a wonderful experience! Phil was able to adapt our morning ride to make it fun and challenging, though doable, for us, while also creating challenging experiences for others in our group. He opened our eyes to the area, informed us about endangered species and grounds, showed us how to bike on slickrock, up & down single track areas and more. Phil is an enjoyable, knowledgeable, sensitive man with a contagious warm spirit.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I initially contacted Solfun when I was planning a trip to Utah and experienced several unanswered phone calls and e-mails. I pursued them because of the great reviews the company received and figured they were just busy. When I finally spoke with a human I thought everything was set for a one day mountain bike adventure with them. I contacted them again just prior to departing for Moab and was told that the date we had agreed on was now in question because they did not have any other riders with similar ability (Intermediate) as mine booked for that day. Three days prior to the scheduled ride they still would not commit to a day and I was told I was a difficult booking because I was a single. I ended up going with another company. Ironically, while I was at the mountain bike trail head with the other company, the Solfun van showed up to ride the same trail.

3  Thank Snowball2442
Reviewed 12 September 2013

My wife and I had a fantastic mountain biking excursion with Ann and Pat. They led us through a challenging course and beautiful landscape. They gave us a lot of helpful tips to enhance our riding.