“Up a creek by a highway next to a highschool.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moab
Up the Creek Campground
Ranked #15 of 33 Speciality Lodging in Moab
“Up a creek by a highway next to a highschool.”
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

When i got to the campgrounds i was shocked that it was right on town. Ot is by a nice creek but kids were playing soccer at the school accross the creek and cars were driving down the main drag just beyond the school. Campsites are packed right next to eachother. AND it cost 40 dollars for a night. Guess moab is short on real campgrounds and people want to bike enough to put up with this lind of camping experience.

• Stayed August 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We, too, we're having trouble finding a spot to camp on Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend. Up The Creek was accommodating, quiet, clean restrooms and showers, and overall a great experience. Unlike Lauren, we found the management incredibly nice and helpful. Would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an "away from the crowds and rv's" camping experience in Moab.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Great if you have a small tent and want to escape the RVs for a few nights. It is located in the middle of town so although not completely quiet we enjoyed being able to walk to the shops/restaurants. Great showers, so nice not to have a timer system and also hot water for washing up which we found was a rare thing camping at several sites in south Utah. I thought the checking in system worked fine and was clearly explained at the time of booking. One downside was the caterpillars, whilst I expect to encounter a few creepy crawlies I don't expect to have to remove cocooning caterpillars from my towel before a shower (we were still finding them days later), maybe worth spraying like Zion park has? Maybe we were just there at the wrong time of year though and would still stay again.

1 Thank Tara L
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 27 May 2013

My boyfriend and I decided to spend the weekend in Moab last minute for a weekend, but naively didnt notice it happen to be Memorial Day Weekend. Not only was every hotel booked, but so was the campgrounds. After almost forfeiting the trip, my boyfriend made one last ditch effort to call Up the Creek, who so pleasantly informed us that they had a space available, but unfortunately only for Saturday Night (we needed sunday as well). We pleasantly accepted the offer and asked to be put on a wait list for any cancellations, like many other sites who had never called back, and to our surprised they called us with an opening!!!!! The lady who we spoke with was extremely accomodating and helpful.
The campsite is VERY VERY small, and close to other campers, but this we did not mind. The grounds have running water, ice available for purchase ($2 a bag!), showers, bathrooms, etc. Perfect after a long day of hiking in the local national parks.

Only downside, which to some would be a POSITIVE, it was very central in the town of Moab. We personally were looking for something more rugged and remote. However, being happy to have grabbed ANYTHING it was very convenient to walk to the local restaurant and shops.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PLACE!!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 May 2013

The campground is just OK. It is nice that there aren't any cars but it's right off the main road so it's not very scenic. Also, there are catepillars everywhere and they get all over your stuff.

But the real kicker is the person who runs the grounds is quite nasty. This isn't a terrible option but next time I'll just pay to use their nice showers and find a better place to sleep.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
UpTheCreekMoab, Manager at Up the Creek Campground, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
I guess for Lauren, because I did not waive the rules for her makes me quite nasty. I have a cancellation policy and I charge a fee when people stay at the campground. She had reserved a campsite for Friday and Saturday night. I set aside a campsite for her for Friday night. The rules of the campground clearly state you must check in upon arrival or at the latest by 11 am the day after you arrive. By 11 am Saturday, Lauren had done neither, and in doing so, per our cancellation fee, which she was informed of when she made her reservation, she forfeited her deposit and I removed her from the calendar. At 6:46 pm on Saturday I received a call from Lauren. She sounded quite upset at me because a campsite was not reserved for her. It was a Saturday in May, and by that time of the day the campground had been filled. That said, someone else had called me 30 minutes before that to let me know they would not be showing up. I told Lauren she could camp at that recently opened site and the cost would be $25. If you ask me, I was not being quite nasty, I was being quite accommodating. She obviously believes otherwise and was upset that I charged her for staying at the campground and that I kept her deposit. Call me quite nasty for this but, yes, I have a cancellation policy for a reason and I expect payment when people use the facilities provided at the campground.
Virginia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had a great experience at up the creek campground. I loved that there was a kitchen sink with warm water and soap to wash dishes. The bathrooms were very clean with two showers, two stalls, and two sinks. They also had a charging station to charge our phones and computers. I was nervous about leaving them there to charge, but the campground is small and intimate that you can literally see from one end to the other, so I felt safe that I could leave it and have an eye on it from anywhere in the camp sight. Each morning, the camp director was busy watering the flowers, cleaning the camp, picking up trash, cleaning the bathroom, and very friendly as well. The campground was about 2-3 blocks from downtown so we were able to walk to town during the day, a river ran beside the campground as well as a walking path, and a dog park. The traffic was a little noisy at first, but after i fell asleep it was never an issue. It was a great experience and we will definitely return!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Granville, Ohio
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Just left after a week-long stay and had a great time despite the cold and rain. Sites are spacious and both creeks are really nice. Other campgrounds we saw in the area looked a lot more cramped. Will stay here again next time we are in the area!

• Stayed March 2013