“Watch out for the Asian hotel manager”
Review of Riverside Inn

Riverside Inn
Ranked #32 of 34 Hotels in Moab
Colby, Kansas
“Watch out for the Asian hotel manager”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

My family and I had reservations for 2 nights at the Riverside Inn. We stayed the first night, and the property was acceptable, but old, and the breakfast was stale toast and cereal, and they were out of coffee 30 min. after it started. Be prepared to get your own breakfast. But that is not the worst of this place.
After the first night, we were told to leave our keys at the front when we left for the day because the guy wasn't sure if we would need to change our room. We had made reservations 2 weeks earlier, and had our receipt, so we were not at all suspicious. After a day of exploring Canyonlands National Park, we got back around 8 pm and when we went to the desk to get our new key (or old one, who knows?) the guy said we had no reservation. We were shocked, and he demanded we show a receipt, which we had in the car. When we produced that, he said we didn't check in on time, and so he resold our room, and didn't charge us. I called his bluff after 15 minutes of my husband and I talking to the Asian manager, who, when I started calling the credit card company to see what he HAD charged us for the day before (printed the reciept and admitted he had charged us for 2 nights. I started calling all the places I could in town, and everyone was full. He said we would get no refund and would have to drive to the nearest place that had a room, 55 miles away. I said that was unacceptable, and asked that he call the cops. Then he got really nervous. Turns out he had already called the cops because my husband was being threatening to him. I was so happy with how the Moab police department came and assisted us, because this man is a rip-off artist, and had we just said okay and left, he would've charged our card for 2 nights, and still filled the room with another reservation (who knows how much he charged those people for our room since the town was full by then).
The cops asked that he call Monticello to see if there was a place to stay there, and he refused, so get this, the cops all got on their phones and found us a room in town--a last-minute cancellation. Imagine, the cops having to call around and make reservations. After standing there and looking like a deer caught in the headlights (more like a thief disguised as a hotel manager) he offered to give us a full refund. So we took it and left. What is strange also is that the police seemed annoyed by this guy, like this was not the first time.
My point is this. If you want to stay here, keep your reciepts, make sure you have proof of all your reservations, and if this guy tries to cheat you, call the police and call him on it. It seemed like he had done this before and just expected us to walk off and say it was all okay. But we stood our ground, calmly explained ourselves, and when he was proven wrong and a liar, we relied on the cops, and I am just so grateful for the kind help and assistance and great attitudes of the Moab Police Department.
We were hot, dirty, exhausted and shelterless for the night, and the Moab Police Department helped make it right and call a thief on his tricks.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Bighorn Lodge, more pricey, but this town is not cheap. It was a very clean and pre...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Though this hotel was relatively clean, the linens were old and worn, the smell of smoke lingers in the hallway, and the worst part was the service provided by the owner which was abysmal. The man behind the counter who stated he was the owner was unbelievably rude. My father is 78, and when my mother merely asked about either a senior discount or AAA discount, he told her "Go, you go," and gestured for her to get out. He told us if we had a problem to get out or he would call the police. We only stayed because all the other places were full, and we had no other place to go. Now we know why. I would never recommend this place to anyone, as customer service this poor should never be rewarded. The price was lower than other places by a few dollars, but to treat customers with this degree of contempt and hostility is the opposite of the hospitality that travelers should expect. Stay away from this place, and maybe someone who knows how to treat people with friendliness and kindness can take it over instead.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank N P

Travellers are raving about these Moab hotels

Progreso, Mexico
Reviewed 4 May 2013

This is a 4 star budget hotel, which for means the price is $70 or less.

The room was clean and relatively large. Beds were comfortable. Small fridge and wi-fi provided with a microwave available in the hall way. There was a full continental breakfast with included cereal. Staff was quiet and pleasant.

Upgrade suggested: New towels.

Otherwise a good nights rest.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JacqueBig
Eureka, Missouri, United States
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Moab had two special events the day we were there. Riverside was one of the last hotels that had rooms. The hotel was clean, quiet and well maintained. The breakfast was good but the attendant had trouble keeping up with the demand. Front desk clerk was patient with all of the last minute travelers that were trying to find a room. I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carol H
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Every place under $150 was full when we got to town, except this place. We were hesitant because it was 5pm and they were still making up our room. The room was nice, it was cheaper than Motel 6, the pool was heated and the hot tub was great, breakfast was even ok. It was good enough that we stayed another night. Pleasantly Surprised!

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank GkfromWisco
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We found this place as a last minute resort as we were supposed to go camping but the weather was bad. Went to check out a few motels and they were all booked up, so came across this place and there were rooms that were available. Asked the Chinese receptionist how much the rate was including tax and he quoted me $85. Repeated what he said including with tax and he confirmed it was correct. As I came back to pay, with my friend, he changed his mind and said it's $95. Told him that's not what he told me and after 2 mins of going back to what was said he agreed to let us pay $85. Felt a bit conned there, thinking to myself how much it really is but no site would tell us, which I found weird. Also, he had a cheek to give us a room (upstairs) that wasn't even maid yet! Bed sheets were messy, towels on the floor...Weren't having that! Complained and requested for a TIDY room downstairs. Finally got a descent room. Good thing was they had a Pool (not big, fairly small), Jacuzzi & Free WiFi. The place wasn't bad, it was clean. Was nervous after reading reviews here about this place and checked if my sheets didn't have blood on them, and looked all over for bugs but luckily there wasn't any :o). Overall I give this place 4/5 but rated it 3/5 because of the receptionist. Not exactly your "Service with a smile"...

Room Tip: If you have a lot of luggage, request for a room downstairs as there weren't any lifts (not that...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Leora M
Stewartsville, Missouri
Reviewed 7 August 2012

We were really surprised by this place! Most hotels in town were full but this one seemed to have plenty of rooms left, and then the price was really decent. This left us wondering about our choice since it looked very nice also. Our room was very nice and was clean also! The free breakfast had several choices and was good. I still don"t understand why this hotel didn't fill up very fast as I thought everything about it was very nice and had a great price. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family