“Spectacular View”

Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 37 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 July 2012

Sorrel River Ranch resort is a most wonderful property. It is big enough to be a full resort and spa, but small enough to provide great guest services - that is, everything except timely service for breakfast. This is my second trip to Sorrel River Ranch in less than a year. I love the property so much, but, I must say, that if my family was with me I would not have been able to have breakfast at the hotel. The wait for the breakfast food was unbearably long, and children cannot wait quite so long for breakfast. I am concerned about this because the hotel was not crowded, and breakfast is not a difficult meal to prepare. Last year there was a buffet option for breakfast. However, the food was delicious, and dinner was served in a timely manner(last year lunch was a long wait). The scenery around the hotel is spectacular, the rooms are VERY spacious and well appointed. I would return again, but would need assurance that the breakfast service has improved. The location provides easy access to Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and the town of Moab.

Room Tip: Some rooms are much closer to the main lodge. If walking is an issue, ask for a room closer to the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucille M
Management response:Responded 13 July 2012

Hello, LuciArlingtonHeights. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with such valuable feedback. I speak for the whole staff at Sorrel River Ranch when I say that your loyalty toward staying at our resort is very appreciated. We really enjoy getting to know our guests who repeatedly stay with us. That being said, it is very important to us that we deliver consistently outstanding service and products for all guests no matter how often they stay with us, and it is clear that during your last stay, you did not receive the Sorrel River Resort experience we strive to achieve. Seeing as how we are very involved in many guests’ planning of activities during their stays, we are very aware of the need for a fast yet enjoyable breakfast. We have created a new “grab n go” menu and we are excited to roll this out in anticipation it will be well received. I would love to personally make sure that your next experience at Sorrel River Ranch leaves you knowing our restaurant service is equally as spectacular as the view here. If you would be so kind, please drop me an email when you return so I can introduce myself and be sure we deliver a great experience for you.

Linda Cerra, General Manger

Reviewed 3 July 2012

Sorry. I disagree. Management has been incredible. I have yet to stay at the resort, due to a sudden family emergency, and the graciousness and hospitality I have received has been exceptional. Most importantly, I have been dealing with actual "people" that listen and can respond regardless of their position. We travel frequently and except for small mom and pop operations, rarely do you find that one on one interation. This company exceeds and is not an " automated" facility. Sometimes we are quick to point out the faults instead of truly looking at all the positives. May god bless you,

Diane

Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Hello, Diane. Thank you for such a heartfelt review. Please know your benevolence is received with considerable appreciation and gratitude from the whole staff at Sorrel River Ranch – myself included. I hope that once your emergency is resolved, you will be able to reschedule your stay with us.

Thank you again for your kind words, and with all my best to your family,

Reviewed 2 July 2012

This property is in a beautiful location for sure! Their pre-arrival attentiveness was great. They sent emails and wanted to make sure you had your activities planned before you arrived. I was anticipating some real attentive service when we arrived, but it was average or a bit below.
The room was clean and the bed was comfortable, the view was amazing!
The restaurant had the worst service, the food was OK. The problem is if you don't eat at their restaurant you have to drive 25 minutes into Moab, which is fine, but not what I had planned for my evenings. We had a rough time the first night with a mixup in our order and what I can only describe as uncomfortable communication with our server, we just couldn't seem to get on the same page with him. We ended up in Moab the second night and then thought we'd try Sorrel's restaurant again for our last night, we were celebrating a special occasion. The white wine we ordered was warm, and the appetizer we ordered was nothing like was described on the menu, it was missing ingredients and didn't taste good at all. Because of the mix up the first time we dined there, the food and beverage manager came out. I've never experienced anything like it. He didn't apologize, he accused us of not reading the menu! I was beginning to suspect it was me, when I heard the gentleman at the table behind us complain about his meal description too.
WORST of all is that the resort automatically includes an 18% gratuity onto all meals and tour activities at the ranch, whether you are a party of 2, 8 or 18. I was forced to leave an 18% tip for a bad experience.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Catcall_S
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Hello, Catcall_S. Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Sorrel River Ranch. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the resort grounds and that we were able to communicate with you about activities prior to your arrival. However, I am disappointed to hear that you had such unacceptable service in our restaurant. This certainly was not our intent. Your review really hit home for the restaurant staff when we talked about it as a group, and it prompted me to be sure that our servers are empowered with the decision to remove the automatic 18% gratuity should they feel that a guest’s particular experience was in any way unacceptable. I thoroughly apologize for your dinner experience; however, thank you for a bit of feedback that has truly driven us to be better. Should you return to Moab, whether you stay with us or not, I would love to see to it that you join us for a special dinner served in the manner we are known for.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

Spectacular scenery. Check
Excellent rooms and facilities. Check
Great beds. Check
Quality staff and service. Not really
Management. Not at all

Believe the pictures on the website -- the setting for this property is awesome, far above any of the properties in Moab. The resort has excellent cabins, with good amenities and really comfortable beds. The view of the stars a night is amazing, and sunsets in the canyon are beautiful. Yes, the drive is long from town, but it is spectacular and sets the stage for the resort. If you want to be near town, stay at the Holiday Inn Express.

But we left disappointed with the Sorrel River Ranch because the staff didn't live up to the property.The hairs we found on the shower curtain when we arrived were still there when we left, as were the broken shower curtain rings. The activities list in the lodge hadn't been updated in over a week. It seemed to be a contest on what kind of errors the staff could make with our breakfast order. And finally, if you get Derek on the Front Desk, don't bother -- his "I think so, but I'm not really sure and I don't care enough to check" attitude when asked about activities is a symbol of the staffing problems here.

While I am sure they are all nice people, it's clear that management is asleep at the switch, and the staff's attitude has become "Oh, well..." I'm glad to pay double the prevailing rate in the area for a great experience, but not if management doesn't care.

The management problem came in to focus when we went to dinner at the Red Cliffs Adventure lodge down the road. While not nearly as luxurious, Red Cliffs had a great dining staff who made our simple meal there a pleasure.

Anita and John Friedmann

P.S. We filled out the survey with many of the comments above, but hadn't heard back. I suspect Housekeeping made it "disappear."

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 8 July 2012

Hello, Mr. & Mrs. Friedman. Thank you for being so amenable to a phone conversation about your experience. It was a pleasure to speak with you. After more discussion, it is quite evident that all these small issues culminated into a very negative experience for you, and we apologize. We appreciate your feedback and please know that we use all guest feedback as a learning tool for our staff development. Thank you for understanding that this type of experience is far from the norm, and moreover, thank you for giving us the chance to improve. Please be sure to reach out to me should you choose to stay with us again so I can guarantee the distinctive, enjoyable experience you should have had from the very start.

Best regards,

Reviewed 28 June 2012

My daughter and I stayed 5 nights. The Sorrel is welcoming and inviting! Our suite had a huge balcony that overlooked the amazing red rock towering canyons and the peaceful colorado river. We watched the resident river otters play daily. The grounds and our accomodations were immaculate! I read a review somewhere that stated the Sorrel was luxurious yet not pretentious. That would describe it perfectly!!! One evening at dinner, a staff member asked my daughter if she would like to make smores. A smores kit promptly appeared and my daughter and I enjoyed it around the campfire! It was touches like this that set the Sorrel apart. Wonderful horses, nice pool, spa, tennis courts. Any issues were immediately resolved by staff. Staff were pleasant, and very accomodating. Know that the Sorrel is located 17 miles from Moab on the scenic byway. Worth the trip! I hope I can return again and again !!!

1  Thank Statira
Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Hello, Statira. Thank you for such a complimentary review. I have already shared it with our staff, and they were also very pleased to hear about your great experience. I’m also very glad to hear you enjoyed the s’mores!
We, too, hope to see you again and again. Thank you once more from all of us.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

I love this place! I found it by accident nearly 8 years ago (went there for a musical event, just for the evening, but we did eat in the restaurant) & was determined to return and stay in the future. This time I was travelling with my elderly parents (both aged around 80) and we took one of the family suites, with a river view. Yes, it was probably one of the most expensive places we've stayed anywhere in the world, but it was also one of the most enjoyable. Our river-view family suite was sumptuous, with two queen beds upstairs (I slept there, as the bathroom was downstairs, which was more convenient for my parents), and a king bed downstairs. All the staff were wonderful, so helpful and friendly. The food was great - I particularly recommend the steak and the local Merlot! My mother & I swam in the pool, which, though not very large, was the perfect temperature, and we had it to ourselves. The setting of the resort is incredible, with the Colorado River on one side, and the red buttes of Castle Valley on the other. It's a very scenic 25-minute drive from Moab, which is a lovely little town. I can't wait to return, but in the meantime I'm going to take riding lessons so I can take advantage of the ranch activities! My parents, who are very seasoned travellers, loved it every bit as much as I did.

Management response:Responded 30 June 2012

Hello, Bertilak1. It’s a real pleasure to hear about your experience at Sorrel River Ranch. I love hearing about our guests enjoying the ranch the way you did. And you’re right – that drive is gorgeous… it’s worth going to town just for the drive!

We look forward to seeing you soon for some horseback riding!

Reviewed 26 June 2012

The reviews on the site here are very accurate. I wish I had read them more carefully before we went. The resort is beautiful. BUT, it is located down the longest, windiest road, which requires about a half-hour drive to get into town (or, to anywhere). So, when we were there, it felt as if we were trapped. The food options were minimal, the cost was high, and service was slow and lackluster (despite the fact that there were very very few guests). As others have pointed out, toiletries were chintzy, and the pool was not even open when we were there. On the plus side, the rooms were spacious, the tub was gigantic, and there is a laundry room available for guests. The Fishers Towers hike, which is just up the road, was also spectacular. We finally ended up decamping from there early (they have a prohibitive 3-night minimum, I think) to stay at the Best Western - in the money we saved not having to eat at the restaurant for dinner, we could afford to pay for the cost of both rooms (as we just ate the cost of the last night). Which is preposterous but true.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Hello, SYNYC. Thank you for your candid words about Sorrel River Ranch. I’m happy you enjoyed the Fisher Towers hike; it is one of my favorites. I am sorry the pool was not open during your stay; we actually opened it earlier than normally scheduled this season because we were experiencing higher temperatures earlier in the year than in the past several years, but regrettably, this seems to have been after your stay with us. In an effort to try to keep this from happening again, we’ve been sure to schedule the official close of season on our calendar of events at sorrelriver.com and will do the same for the opening of the season in 2013. You are also correct in that we are 17 miles / 25 minutes away from Moab, but we make every effort to offer a complete experience on the ranch as well as offering concierge assistance to efficiently plan full days for our guests should they choose to spend a portion of their stay away from the resort. In terms of your food and beverage experience, please know that we have profoundly revamped our dining experience and menus since your stay here. During this process, we really explored what is reasonable when considering that many guests do find themselves eating more meals here than they may otherwise at a resort in a more densely populated area. We’re very proud of the results, and I would love to have you back again soon to reevaluate our services. If you’re able to find the time anytime in the future, please do reach out to me and allow me to show you some of the improvements we have made since your last experience.