“As relaxing as it gets!”

Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 35 Hotels in Moab
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boulder, Colorado
“As relaxing as it gets!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Our family of four spent 3 nights at the ranch in March and had a terrific time. The setting is gorgeous, spring for the river view- morning coffee has never been better than overlooking the Colorado River at the ranch. Yes it is expensive, but we loved that coffee is in the rooms and the lobby, along with free newspapers and the fridge is stocked with water bottles daily. The kids (10 and 12) were in heaven- nightly s'mores, horseshoes, pool, hot tub, lawn games, board games, horseback riding, bike riding, and an easy on sight hike were all enjoyed. "Best French toast ever" and a friendly and accommodating staff make this a very special place. Already planning our next visit.

Room Tip: Go for the river view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Franklin S, Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
It is very gratifying to read that you appreciated the details like the s'mores, lawn games, our guided hikes on the ranch and the surrounding BLM lands. And, of course, the French Toast!

Since you're already planning your next visit, you should consider June. Our adventure concierge desk has some private guided river trips that would be perfect for your family, especially at that time of year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Telluride, Colorado
Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I were staying at a different B&B in Castle Valley but wanted to treat ourselves to a nice dinner and didn't want to travel into Moab. We had two options nearby and are SO happy to we chose the Sorrel River Ranch. We made a reservation which was highly recommended and arrived to see the sunset which I highly recommend as we were able to sit in the rocking chairs by the river and take some photos. It is a stunning location and wasn't crowded. There is plenty of room to spread out for guests of the resort and those just there for dinner. When we went up to the gorgeous dining room, we had the option to sit on the outside deck which we were so happy we did but the dining room is beautiful. Our server was very attentive and was very knowledgable. We went with the truffle fries to start (shared) and I had the local Utah trout with a delicious lentil compliment. My husband had the special buffalo skirt steak with local spinach risotto which was so delicious too. We were very impressed with both dishes and left very full. I would recommend to friends and would go back!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Franklin S, Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
I see you live in Telluride! Love your town. There's a strong connection between Telluride and Moab. Both are great places to enjoy high adventure with the ultimate in luxury.

We're very happy you and your husband enjoyed your the food, the service and how the deck takes advantage of the sweeping river view and the setting. We take special pride in our two restaurants, The River Grill (our signature restaurant where you dined) and our Hitching Post (which serves Breakfast, Lunch and a more "ranch" oriented dinner menu). Both feature Farm-to-Table fare grown at our Sorrel River Farm that is directly overseen by our head Chef, Henry Christian.
Connecticut
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My family spent three nights at Sorrel during a national parks trip through Arizona and Utah. Sorrel was definitely a highlight for all of us. We loved every minute at the resort and were very sad to leave.

The setting is incredible. We have stayed in some incomparable places in recent years and I would put this up among the best including The Springs Resort & Spa in Arenal, Costa Rica and Enchantment in Sedona. The hotel is nestled on the bank of the Colorado river facing dramatic red rock cliffs in either direction. GORGEOUS. The property is interspersed with adirondack chairs and lovely private areas to enjoy the vistas.

We stayed in a river view room and loved everything about it. The decor was charming (there was a 4 foot cowboy boot on top of the closet!) and the view to the river was fantastic. There was a front and back porch with rocking chairs which saw a lot of use in the early morning and evening hours!

The room was very large with tons of storage, comfortable beds, good lighting and a HUGE bathroom.

The staff were gracious and accommodating and made us feel at home from the moment we arrived.

The resort offered tons of recreation and our kids tried most of it! Where they found energy after long days of hiking I have no idea. The kids thoroughly enjoyed the evening fireside s'mores!

The restaurant enjoys the wonderful views and there is a lovely terrace to enjoy drinks before dinner or play board games. The food at the restaurant was wonderful - both dinner and breakfast.

Yes, it's a long drive into town or to Arches/Canyonlands but probably the most beautiful 17 miles I have ever driven. Not to mention that the hotel options in town are purely budget rate hotels.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else and very much look forward to a return trip sometime soon!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Shelly S
Tim J, Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thank you, "shelskogs" for sharing your visit with our TripAdvisor readers, especially in comparing us to Enchantment in Sedona. You're making us blush.

And also for mentioning the rocking chairs. We had only just purchased them before your visit, and scattered them all over the resort. Thanks for helping us break them in.
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights, a family of 5, three kids. I rate it average because for the price I was expecting more and we stayed in much better resorts/hotels.

The location is very nice, nested on the Colorado river, although quite far from Arches National Park entrance.

The rooms are ok. Clean but nothing special. The facilities are also ok but nothing special. What is special is the location but they charge too much for it.

We did horse riding, used the pool and the restaurant (good but limited choice, no kids menu for breakfast and only unhealthy options for dinner)

Stayed April 2014
Marco, we very much appreciate you taking the time to post a review of us, though we are sorry your expectations were not met. I noticed that you did not mention our Colorado River Spa. It is a major reason many of our guests choose Sorrel River Ranch. In addition to the pool, horseback rides and restaurants, we pride ourselves on the quality of our Spa. If you ever decide to give us another try, we hope you'll avail yourself of it. And, regarding our pricing, we aim to strike the perfect balance within our regional market. We think we've hit pretty close to the mark.
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 April 2014

While the horseback riding adventures and hiking through one of the most beautiful areas in the world were some of my favorite parts of our trip, the basketball court and bikes at the resort were highlights for my sons. Thanks to the resort for making it so easy for them, with the basketballs already at the court and the bikes easily accessible. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. I appreciated that we didn't have to reserve or pay for either one, and my husband and I were so thankful for some time to relax on our patio overlooking the river and breath-taking red rock behind it while our boys played safely nearby. Our stay at Sorrel River Ranch was magical. Wish we were still there!

Room Tip: Overlooking the river!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kristin B
Franklin S, Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Hi Kirstin,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about us. Kids are a big part of the Sorrel River Ranch experience and we take pride in having set things up so that parents can relax without worrying about what their children are doing.

As I write this, two pre-teen boys are riding around our horse arena under the watchful eye of our wrangler Molly. During this lesson in basic horseback riding, I'm sure the boys' parents are happily engaged in some relaxing activity, either sleeping in late while the river rolls by 30 feet from their picture window, or luxuriating in a couples treatment over at the Colorado River Spa (where we have a private treatment room specifically set up so couples can get massages side-by-side).

We hope you and your family will keep us in mind when you plan your next vacation. With Moab's new airliner service, SkyWest (part of Delta) out of Salt Lake City, the trip here is now even easier, faster and more enjoyable.
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Hello All,
Wanted to give a review because some of the previous the negative reviews made it difficult for me to decide whether to chose this place. First, I have to say that this is about the most serene and stunningly beautiful location I have ever stayed in. The room was also beautifully maintained and the resort staffed with hard working, adorable young people eager to please.

I was torn between four and five stars because there are a few things you should be aware of before you make your choice. First, you are going to spend big; I could not find any deals offered, and not much is included in your basic stay prices. Second, you are 30-60 minutes from the entrances to the national parks along a small windy road ,so if you are planning to use this as a base for your travels over a few days, it might get old. Also, the food I would say is pretty average and high priced. Service is really good, but more like what you would expect in a high end National Park Lodge vs a Four Seasons.

All that having been said, I would still choose to stay here. No where else in the area is even close to the rustic, upscale vibe that this place strikes. To alleviate the drive, we chose to spend out first night in Moab at the Holiday Inn which served as just a crash pad for touring the parks, then we moved out to Sorrel for nights two and three so we could enjoy a relaxed time there. This worked well for us. For our full day at Sorrel we hiked at Fisher Towers (just 5-10 minutes down the road and spectacular!) and went on a horseback ride at the ranch.

With the right expectations, this may just be the perfect place for you!

Room Tip: Don't pass up the river view room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelmom92
Franklin S, Manager at Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Thanks for giving us a review. It is very honest and straightforward. You are right about the location. It is a 17-mile drive to town and the Arches Visitors Center. I know, I make that drive every day to come to the ranch to work. But, I must say, it is the most spectacular short drive you could ever hope to make. I've lived in Moab 22 years and I have never tired of it -- the scene changes rapidly every few minutes. Dramatic, wide open valleys backed by snow capped mountains transform into a narrow winding canyon cut by the gorgeous Colorado River with whitewater rapids navigated by rafts, kayaks and standup paddle boarders, vertical red rock walls rising a thousand feet on either side.. the word breath taking does not do it justice. I never tire of it.

And I can personally attest that every one of our department managers is striving to perfect our service. Our goal is to "wow" you. Sometimes, especially at the beginning of the season when we are bringing new staff on board, we fall short of our goal for perfection. But we are always focused on the positive and looking for ways to improve. Your comments and suggestions are taken very seriously and we thank you for them. We hope to see you again.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here one night on a drive from Arizona to Colorado and can't wait to go back. The location is absolutely incredible. The drive from the south on Highway 128 (really a 2 lane road) is one of splendor and awe. You are at the bottom of a red rock canyon with the Colorado River running next to the road. The resort is located in a beautiful section of this incredible canyon.

The rooms are in small cottages. They are beautiful - -spacious, rustic and charming. We selected a less expensive room that did not face the river because we were only driving through. Next time I would spend the extra money and get a room facing the river. However, we got to enjoy the river views. We arrived at about 4 pm on sunny day and had drinks outside on the patio of the main building, facing the rocks and the river.

The restaurant was lovely for dinner. Informal with good service. We had the Utah cheese platter to start. I had the lamb chops as a main course and my husband had the trout. Both were delicious. Breakfast was also delicious, although the service at breakfast was quite slow.

Now that we have "discovered" this wonderful place, we plan to go back and spend a few days there, relaxing and exploring the near by national parks.

Room Tip: It is worth speeding the extra money for a room facing the river. I would ask for one that is as far...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for writing a wonderful review. We will aim to live up to your kind words. And I couldn't agree with you more --- the river view is amazing. Definitely worth the price. Nothing like relaxing on your own private porch swing after a day of adventure watching the last of the whitewater rafters float past, soaking in the glow of the sunset on the red rock cliffs towering a thousand feet above you.