“Caveat Emptor”

Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Moab
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Caveat Emptor”
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I made a 7 night reservation for this property, to support my business activity in the greater Moab area. The person who took my phone-based reservation was pleasant, and the reservation was confirmed. Good!

On arrival, I approached the Front Desk. A young woman (perhaps 19 or 20) retrieved my reservation, and began to robotically regurgitate the standard (pool hours, et al) script. During this chant, it was revealed the hot tub is not located in the building where lodging takes place. In other words, one must go outdoors to use a hot tub. When I protested, indicating this had NOT been revealed at the time of reservation, I expressed my concerns in no uncertain terms. On 4 separate occasions, the young woman repeated "Are you serious?"

Moving on, I discovered the Front Desk person had not merely "swiped" my card; she had run the total amount for the 7 night stay. This, too, had not been revealed at the time of making the reservation.

Moving on, I entered the room. It is approximately 14'-15' square. It has a 3/4 bath (also not revealed). The room IS equipped with an iron and ironing board - but the ironing board is a "toy." It is approximately 28" long, with short legs. Based on the furnishings in the room, it is not at all easy to use the device.

There is a 36" round table with 2 chairs. This is the only reasonable place (other than someone's lap) to place a laptop computer. In attempting to connect the power supply, it was discovered there was only one duplex receptacle. A table lamp and clock were plugged into the duplex; ergo, no place to plug in the power supply. I needed to disconnect either the clock or the lamp. The lamp went away, which reduced the limited lighting in the room.

I did step down to the hot tub room, finding that housekeeping and maintenance are sorely lacking in that room. Of particular note is the diffusers on the ceiling lighting. Clearly have not been cleaned or replaced for a significant time period.

Upon retiring for the night, I found the mattress to be extremely uncomfortable - difficult to find a comfortable position. In addition, the pillows provided - even with stacking one upon another - my head angled toward the mattress. The fix? I went shopping the next day and bought a sheet/pillowcase set and 2 pillows. Sad I needed to do so, but I do need to sleep. My first night in the property netted me ~30-45 minute bursts of actual sleep.

I was out of my room the following day, returning to the room at approximately 3:00 p.m. The room had not been attended by housekeeping.

I could go on and on, documenting the miserable experience in my first 24 hours at the property. Suffice to say, I will NOT stay here again - and certainly cannot recommend it to any but the least discriminating traveler. I got a $40 room for $99 plus tax.

Again, CAVEAT EMPTOR!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mylon S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
East Midlands
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This hotel is convenient for downtown Moab and the areas attractions. There are shops, restaurants and gas stations nearby. It's easy to find as its on the main road through the town. We had chosen it because it said it was built in a local style. The hotel/motel is built of wood, but this gave the rooms and corridors a strange smell - not musty I couldn't work out what it was. The room was clean, but very small for an American hotel. As we were touring for several weeks we had lots of luggage and no where to store cases out of our way. The bathroom was small. The kitchenette was useful for brewing coffee, but we'd probably have preferred a larger room. The fan on the air-con was very noisy, making sleep difficult. There was adequate parking and the BBQ area was somewhere to sit out. There's no swimming pool, but you can use the one at the hotel across the road. There is no restaurant, but we had a voucher for the one across the road. But its a 5-lane road, so not ideal to cross at busy times of the day, but there are crossings a short distance away. The reception staff were delightful and very helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Moab hotels

Alamogordo, New Mexico
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The rooms are tiny, with a strange odor. The kitchenette was NOT. Location right downtown and noisy. The staff was clueless. I would sleep in my car before staying here again! The town of Moab has a lot of nice places to stay...sorry I booked online before seeing it.

Room Tip: Avoid this place by all means
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Robert B
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We thought Red Stone Inn was great, we had a small kitchen with fridge/microwave. Coffee was available in the mornings, and the laundrette was open all day.
The staff were very helpful with maps and directions. We enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank 144couple000
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 8 July 2013

We stayed at the Red Stone Inn for two nights with our little dog. It was clean, retro looking, and felt like I was staying at camp! Their pet policy was very threatening so we ended up keeping our dog with us while we were out and about. Their pet policy allows you to keep your dog in the room but if your dog barks they will call you. If no answer; they have the "right" to escort your dog out and give it up to the Moab dog pound at your own expense. We had to keep our pup with us because the national parks do not get cell phone service, that to me was not worth risking my dog being taken away. Other than their pet policy, we had a comfortable stay!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lisa C
Florida
Reviewed 4 July 2013

This rustic-styled interior corridor motel is located on Main Street in Moab, on the south end of town. There was adequate free parking. Check-in was quick and easy. The Red Stone Inn is all non-smoking, a trend I’d love to see become universal.

The Red Stone Inn appeals to the adventure traveler and can provide information about tours and adventures in the Moab area. The Red Stone Inn is also popular with movie crews when filming in Moab. There are posters on the lobby wall for some of those movies. It is a good idea to reserve in advance because many nights are sold out in season. I booked two months in advance.

The small queen room had pine tongue and groove paneled walls decorated with framed pictures of the Moab area. The furnishings included one queen bed, a chest of drawers supporting a 25” TV, a small table with two chairs, an iron and ironing board, and a closet. The kitchenette contained a sink, refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker and shelves above for storing your gear. The Wi-Fi connected easily and speeds were fine.

I noticed that the mini-blinds were not wide enough to fully cover the window opening, leaving a gap on the side allowing outsiders to see into our room. This seems to be a problem with many rooms. You can see what I mean on the virtual tour on their website as of the date of this review. I was able to get privacy by sliding the blinds to move the gap to the side where the kitchenette is. You may want to hang a towel or belt over the gap.

The bathroom was an all-in-one which is not as convenient as a separate vanity area if someone wants to use the bathroom or take a shower while someone else is using the vanity. The vanity was about 4 feet wide, so space was somewhat limited, but cabinet space underneath helped offset that. A hair dryer is included. There is just a shower, no tub.

The air conditioner kept the fan on continuously as the compressor cycled. This is much better than the usual setup where the fan goes off with the compressor making an abrupt change in the noise level, which can awaken occupants.

There is no continental breakfast offered, but there are nearby restaurants serving breakfast, including a Subway just a few blocks north.

Other amenities included a hot tub, picnic patio with grill and a coin laundry.

Overall, The Red Stone Inn was quiet and comfortable and represented a good value for the Moab area.

Room Tip: Book well in advance. Moab has many events and motels sell out. Also, read the warning on the door a...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank anoviv
APACHE JUNCTION
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We were very impressed with the Red Stone Inn, rooms were clean, had a mircowave, small frig just perfect for our 4 nite stay. Beds were comfy,I loved the natural wood look . Close to dinning and groceries, I would stay here again anytime.....

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends