“Great value retro place!”
Review of Apache Motel

Apache Motel
Ranked #35 of 37 Hotels in Moab
Reviewed 28 September 2011

We were recommended to stay here and will recommend others to do the same. Very charming retro feel in and out. Room good sized and clean. Nice quiet spot but within reach of central Moab. Breakfast a bit meagre. Don't stay here if you don't like old slightly odd places. If you do then you'll love it!

• Stayed: September 2011

Reviewed 27 July 2011

On a week long camping excursion we finally broke down and got a room at the Apache. Staying at a hotel that is a landmark due to among others, John Wayne, was pretty neat but the hotel did show its age. the rooms were large and clean. The breakfast was free so I can't complain but it did leave you wanting more. A big perk for us was the fact we could walk from our room out to the main street in the evening for a few drinks.

Room Tip: You can bring your bikes into the rooms but its easier if you're on the first floor since there...
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lindsyrox
Reviewed 23 July 2011

The other reviews on here show a lack of knowledge, no offense intended. The Apche Motel is officially listed on the national register of historic place so for them to "update" or do "remodeling" is not as easy as it is for other hotels/motels in the area. We found the price to be less than other hotels in town. With free WIFI, a nice clean pool, spacious rooms and a friendly helpful staff. It is under new management.. maybe that helped but we had a great stay. I was even lucky enough to meet the woman who cooks the "goodies" for breakfast, I really enjoyed the pumpkin bread. The motel is "out of date" but what do you want from a historic place.. if you are looking for an upscale high class place then this historic motel is not for you. We will be visiting Moab and the Apache Motel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a new bed..
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank lovinit27
Reviewed 20 June 2011

This is one of the less expensive motels in Moab. It is able to charge a bit more than some others because it has a small outdoor pool. This is a 1950's motel that has not been updated at all, except for some paint inside. I was afraid to go barefoot on the carpet. Bathroom functional but inadequate for space. Patio furniture broken. Pool was very small and when people were in it all the furniture got splashed so you couldn't just go sit out there without getting wet. Air conditioner froze up and did not work all night. This motel would be considered acceptable in a third world country, but not for an upscale tourist location such as Moab. There are MANY better options, especially at the price.

Room Tip: Call and shop around. Check reviews, they help!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 April 2011

We stayed at the Apache during jeep safari week so it was the only vacancy we could find. Breakfast is make your own waffles and not very tasty pastries. The shower had mildew all over it and towels were clean but sort of a dingy grey. Rooms need to be updated. Was way overpriced for what we got.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Every time our family goes to Moab we stay at The Apache Motel. It's a quaint place off the beaten track with nice rooms, a great swimming pool, complementary breakfasts and very reasonable prices. What more could we ask for?

Actually the bonus for us is all the film history around it. Every time John Wayne filmed a western in the vicinity, he stayed at the Apache. We are real "Duke" fans, so imagine our kids delight when we got to stay in the John Wayne suite?! We were very pleased with the western decor and roomy comfort, and were interested to note it's where he brought his family to stay when he was shooting.

Fun memories to add to our unfor0gettable family reunion.vacation!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GinaHarsh
Reviewed 16 November 2010

I had never expereince bed bugs till I visited Moab Utah and the
Apache Motel on the Labor Day weekend. I stayed in both the family suite and the John Wayne Room - n$90 and $120 a night. I woke up to a nightmare that has conti9nued and I now have massive scarring from the Apache Motel's bed bugs. On Oct. 6, when I notified the Apache Motel staff, The staff seem confused, and didn't know what to do other than say over and over - "We haven't had any bugs all summer." This was an expensive and well-known motel. I had woke up in the night and put my hand on my back - splattt! I turned on the light and my hand was covered in blood. My friend found over two dozen bites, plus three living bugs sucking me. Needless to say I was horrified. The next night they put us in the best suite. Again bed bugs. The staff never offered medical attention, free rooms, or advice to get rid of them. There was no mention about washing our stuff. Unfortunately the staff also told us that bed bugs never travel in luggage or on clothing, nor could bed bugs go from room to room. Dispute out best efforts to clean everything, my apartment is infested just two weeks later. My car has had to be fumigated, I have over 400 bites now, my beautiful organic natural home and clothing has been ruined with pesticides and hot water, plus I am sick from all the chemicals. A few simple things like offering us a complimentary future stay, and most importantly offering medical assistance (I immediately had reactions, and I am going to have lifetime scarring), plus offered laundry service I don't think my apartmnent would be infested. I use to love this wonderful motel. Historic, quiet neigbhorhood, and friendly staff. I use to brag to friends about it. Now I am anger, hurt, and traumized beyond words. I have considered contacting an attorney. All because someone brought in bed bugs. Oh - the best part of the expereince was the staff's comment that it "was them Europeans. They are a dirty people." Not the kind of thing that encourages visitors. When I returned the clerk;s story changed and it was "Italians have bugs on them. They are dirty."
Then implied I probably had bed bugs already in my home. I am angry and veing very voacl. There was no hint of concern for me or the bed bugs on the part of the staff. I am working on a short contract in Moab right now and in a bueatiful motel, and yes - I tell people about my nightmare at the Apache Motel. What should have been wonderful memories is now nightmares and scars I will have for life.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends