“Don't expect much...even though it cost a bunch.”
Review of Apache Motel

Apache Motel
Ranked #34 of 35 Hotels in Moab
Reviewed 30 May 2013

You won't find any cheap deals in Moab Utah, at least in late May! Even the OLD motels/hotels from the 1950's charge $95 to $110! Not what I'd expect. The room was dated, by far, and need some TLC. The pool ended up being fine, again some TLC and some new chairs and paint would help a lot. Friendly kind staff and the place got quiet early enough. They say John Wayne stayed here while doing filming as did other actors. Cool old sign outside, its off the main drag on the 'old' highway.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Apache Motel

Reviewed 29 May 2013

The romantic notion of staying where John Wayne stayed...pass on it. Only update to this place since Duke camped out here is the AC/Heat unit, which was good. Worn, dirty orange(!) carpet, queen headboard on king bed, mismatched furniture made to provide chest of drawers. Expensive also, although I suspect Moab properties offer no value.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank enondoug
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Maybe this motel wouldn't be for everyone, but we loved it. Yes, it is an older motel but the room was large with everything we needed, including microwave, refrigerator, and a clean comfortable bed. The location was within two bocks of the main street but on a quiet side street. We would definitely return. Our only complaint is that coffee isn't available until 7:00 and there was no coffee pot in the room.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed here with my husband for one night while doing a road-trip, and though we had read the previous reviews, we really wanted to live the John Wayne experience... And it was fun!
Yes, the place and the furniture are very old, and the TV could be black and white... but that's it! It is comfortable and clean, the wi-fi works well, and the staff is nice and friendly. Breakfast is just OK, but no worse than what we found in most of the motels we stayed in. I just considered it a bit pricey for what it is, but it's the cheapest you can find in the area. It's just and old place!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SaraWalnut
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We just took our Youth group to Moab for a week of Biking and Hiking. We found our stay to be quit pleasant. It was a great Home away from Home. The Staff was very accommodating, helping us find medical attention, pointing us in the right direction to get to our destination and lettings us park our trailer of bikes. Yes, the rooms are old but Hey John Wayne call it home when he made is movies there.

This is a perfect location you can Bike to Slick Rock, You are off the main drag and it is quite.

Room Tip: The front is on the road with the morning sun, The back catches the evening sun and quieter. The Tr...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank 2day4memories
Reviewed 2 May 2013

The first thing you notice about your room is, well, you can't get into your room. My buddy and I spent five minutes trying each of our cards before returning to the desk. "You have to (blah blah blah, stand on your head and squawk like a chicken)". Back to the room, or at least the door. Another guest walks past, yeah, mine doesn't work either. Zip, green light, yank, damn. Repeat over and over. Finally, it randomly works.

The second thing you notice about your room is the musty smell, quickly followed by the big hole in the carpet, followed by the running sound from the toilet. Does the toilet even work? No, it doesn't. Pull off the tank lid, empty. Call the front desk - the toilet doesn't work. "Well, I can call the manager, but she'll have to come all the way across town". Well holy expletive, we wouldn't want the manager to have to drive ALL THE WAY ACROSS TOWN just because an $85 room doesn't have a functioning toilet (keep in mind this is Moab, and "across town" is about a mile at the most).

So you mess around with the toilet and finally get the flapper to settle in enough to fill up the tank, and flush. Then your buddy notices that the toilet is loose. You investigate, and laugh. Only two of the four bolts are used. Then you notice that the faucet in the shower is mounted about an inch away from the tile, and the tub actually squishes under your feet.

At one point, trying to get back in the room after dinner, the door handle comes off. I actually bruised my hand trying to get in the room, because I would not accept defeat in the regular "can we get back in our room" challenge. I got my card to work exactly once. So OK, I never mastered the trick of the quarter-second green light slam the handle down to get in your $85 smelly room thing, so it's probably my fault.

When you read that this motel is "off the main street", they don't tell you that it's ON the main street that everyone else uses to get through Moab. But that's not a big deal. It has a lovely view of the La Sal mountains, shimmering above the trailer park (which is for sale - buy your dream!). Our room had pictures of cowboys and Indians. The refrigerator kept the beer below room temperature. The bed didn't cripple me. I'm trying to be positive.

I was going to give this place two stars, just to not be nasty, but then I thought, what motel have I stayed at that was worse? and I couldn't think of any. But the bigger issue is, with all this tourist money literally flooding into Moab, why is it such a craphole?

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank kbbpll
Reviewed 1 May 2013

We stayed in the "Family Suite" (Room #47.) It was much less expensive than any other comparable room available at Moab for the very busy "Car Show" weekend. We paid $95/night for 3 of the nights, and $115 for the two Car Show nights.
The Highlights:
-Two HUGE rooms. The bed room had two queen beds and room for two roll away beds. (We didn't need to use the rollaways. But, they were stored right there with the Suite in a huge coat/gear closet.) I slept well on the beds every night. Bedroom had a large dresser and a big closet.
--Large, full size dining table, plus a "bar" with two barstools. Adequate kitchen with a small fridge (bigger than a dorm fridge, smaller than a standard fridge.)
--Large bathroom with a tub/shower combination. There was a large counter/cabinet/drawer unit for stashing lots of bathroom essentials. The sink was in the same room.
--New big-screen Sony TV and a DVD player. (We enjoyed the DVD player a lot.)
--Two new air conditioner/heater units, one in the bedroom & one in the dining/kitchen room. Both worked well and quickly and were relatively quiet. We actually needed both heat and air conditioning at different times during our stay.
--Great maid service. They found my daughter's tiny post earrings somehow!!!
--Large windows in both rooms.
--Off the main drag, so even on the NOISY Car Show weekend, we had peace and quiet at night.
--We saw several families enjoying the pool every evening. It looked clean and well kept. We didn't swim ourselves.
--We also saw families using the grill and picnic tables near the pool for a simple, tasty & economical dinner. (We just ate out at night.)
Drawbacks:
--Carpet was old and ready to be replaced soon.
--Breakfast was to be eaten back in the room-- not a problem for us since we had the big dining table. But, it would have been a little bit of a nuisance if I had to eat it sitting on my bed. (Crumbs!!!)
--Although the breakfast was not super duper, I was grateful that it was included because it was adequate and saved us time we would rather spend playing outdoors at Moab than going to a restaurant for breakfast. It included: waffles, danishes, and an assortment of dry cereal. Also, hot coffee, but we're not coffee drinkers, so I can't say about that....

All in all...I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: The Family Suite is perfect if you don't want to eat out all the time. And the rollaway beds ma...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family