“Good, pretty, friendly, well-located, not perfect”

Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 15 Moab B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This is a very pleasant B&B with a beautiful garden and extremely friendly and helpful innkeepers who really go out of their way to make you feel at home. The location is excellent, walking distance to lots of restaurants on the main drag of Moab. My only complaints are that our bed was way too soft and a bit lumpy, and there were a few tiny things about the room that could be improved - there is a very helpful info sheet near the kitchen but there should be one in every room; the room could use at least one more light; the clock shouldn't turn off when the light switches go off. These are small things (although the bed might have become a problem if I'd slept o it for more than one night.

Room Tip: One of the reviewers complained about traffic noise but a room on the side away from town won't...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank andnobodyknows
CaliCochittaBandB, Owner at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Cali Cochitta B&B. We appreciate it and you. I wanted to address a few of your concerns: We do have the information sheets in each of the rooms and so I checked the room and the it is in the armoire. I am sorry that you missed it. Also the bed has a tempur-pedic topper and most people love it. I am sorry that it felt uncomfortable and lumpy. I have not heard that but will make sure to address it. I will definitely add an additional lamp in the room. We have not had anyone comment that the 3 lights are not enough. Unfortunately due to the old historic nature of the home (built in the 1870's) the light switch controls all of the outlets. We are going to bring in an electrician to look at it to see if there is anything we can do to fix the problem with the alarm clock. This issue is usually resolved by turning off the lights at the source and not turning off the light switch but I can understand how this could be cumbersome. All of your concerns are appreciated as it only helps us to improve. Thank you again for coming to stay with us and we hope that you will come back and stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 16 May 2013

Place is located on a side street about four blocks from the Main drag. The room I stayed in was very nice but did not sleep a wink because of the traffic that was heard especially the motorcycles in town. I was suppose to stay three nights but cancelled because of the traffic noise. The AC was somewhat noisy (July). Didn't even stay for breakfast just wanted to leave. Seemed rather conjested but very clean. Kim is a very lovely woman. She was very helpful recommending which activity center to try. She also recommended the best eateries. If you are not sensitive to traffic noise like I am you would probably like the place.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Evan B
CaliCochittaBandB, Owner at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and we are sorry that you felt that you had a less than a perfect stay with us back in July of 2012. We are usually told how quiet and relaxing our property is. Once again we appologize.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

six of us arrived from the UK for an 11 night stay here whilst mountain biking, hiking etc. We absolutely love Moab and wanted to show it to our friends. This is our third visit and the second stay at the Cali Cochitta. We love this place- it really feels like being in a little English garden. The house is historic and a little quirky but that all adds to its charm. Kim and Dave were wonderful and the breakfasts as good as i remeber them from the last time. The bedrooms are full of charm and very different from the typical american chain hotel. The garden is a little oasis and we took full advantage, sitting in the evenings with beer and wine . I think we will be back in Moab and would definitely stay again. Eleven nights is a long time to stay and be able to say- IT IS WONDERFUL.

Room Tip: we stayed in the two cottages and the cane room. The cottages are more private but the cane room was...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank jacsMaryland
1funinthesun, Owner at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

As always...it is our pleasure to host your stay and we look forward to seeing you again very soon. We will definitely take you up on your offer to come and visit. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate you!
(and Melissa too!)

Reviewed 23 April 2013

I'm not sure what to think of this place. It's very picturesque and in a great location in town. It seems like they struggled to make the place work as a B&B (appears to be an old house). The breakfasts are excellent with one sitting at 8:00AM. There is a pretty steep learning curve figuring out the dish TV, heating and A/C, WiFi password, etc. The bathroom was horribly small but at least it was not in the upstairs hallway. We found the owners somewhat detached and a bit on the rude side if you bothered them with questions. We probably would not stay there again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeeperguy
CaliCochittaBandB, Owner at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. You are correct that this is an old house. It is historic and was built in the late 1800's. We love that about the B&B and it was one of our requirements when deciding what to buy. During your tour upon arrival we went over all of the items of concern that you listed. I understand that in the rush of check in that it is alot of information and that sometimes guests may forget the things we told them about the TV, Wi-fi etc. For this reason we have the information laminated and available in each room. I'm sorry that you felt like we were stand off-ish or rude. We would never want you to feel uncomfortable. We absolutely love what we do and hope you will come back and give us another chance.
Kim & David

Reviewed 14 April 2013

Everything about this B&B is fantastic. From the rooms, breakfast, location, garden, hot tub and the absolutely most accommodating, friendly and gracious owners Kim and David. Their new innkeeper Melissa is fantastic and makes sure all your needs are met. DO NOT MISS Cali Cochitta!

Thank you Kim and David for a great place to stay.

Pat & Linda

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Pat H
1funinthesun, Owner at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to write this very complimentary review. We appreciate you and your business and we look forward to many return visits from you. Please come back soon!

Reviewed 12 April 2013

We had the privilege of staying for two nights at the Cali Cochita (end of Feb., beginning of March). We had never been to Moab, the Arches, Canyonlands, etc. but had heard so much about them from our kids who routinely go there to mountain bike. What amazing country and we only wish there had been more time......will have to come back again! Staying at Cali Cochita could not have been more comfortable, pampering, relaxing, and we felt so at home! Dave and Kim are excellent hosts and they have made their home into an absolute traveler's oasis. In our short time there I believe they are lovely people inside and out as that is reflected in Cali Cochita. Everything from the hospitable environment, furnishings, comfortable beds, the delicious and very ample breakfasts could not have been better. The Utah coffee was the best! We so enjoyed visiting with the other guests who were also staying there. We were there in what is considered the "off season" so Moab was quieter, there were not crowds in the parks and, in spite of a little cooler temperatures, we would go at the same time again. Coming from the cold cloudy northwest (we left behind a fair amount of snow at home), the brilliant blue sky we encountered added to the joy of this trip. Dave and Kim were so good about suggestions and we followed up on several of them. Dead Horse Point was especially beautiful and we would not have had any idea about that had it not been from their personal direction (and think it is a favorite spot). So...thank you to the hosts. If we have the opportunity to go to Moab again we will make a beeline for this wonderful spot to rest our heads.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cenca room. Very comfortable, with queen size bed, private bath, couch. Nice!
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank svenska4
CaliCochittaBandB, Owner at Cali Cochitta Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2013

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We appreciate it and you and we are so happy that you enjoyed your time here with us. We hope that you will come back and see us again very soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

My husband and I received a gift certificate for Cali Cochitta as a wedding gift. We'd been eager to use it and planned our trip to Moab around when there was an open night in one of the rooms we desired.

Kim greeted us warmly, saying I looked familiar. We proceeded into the office to handle payment, at which point I handed her our gift certificate. It was at that time her whole demeanor changed and our experience went sour...

As she looked over the gift certificate, she frowned, clearly looking irritated. I then had to step out briefly to get something out of the car.

When I returned a minute later, she was walking out with my husband. She was quite brusque and stated that we hadn't told her we'd be using a gift certificate. I apologized if that was the case; I truly thought I'd included it in the comments on the reservation form (and apparently missed on the GC that I was supposed to call).

She then moved right into her intro/tour of the B&B. It felt rushed, cold and perfunctory. Any positive feedback or questions I attempted to speak were talked over. She didn't ask a single question about us. Upon entering our room, I asked about a WiFi code and she snapped "it's in the information packet in the room, like I told you". (I don't think she'd previously mentioned the wifi code; I think she was referring to having mentioned there was an information packet).

We were essentially made to feel as another guest commented they felt upon arriving late to breakfast - like "naughty school children" - so much so that we contemplated leaving immediately and would have had it not been an incredibly busy weekend in Moab for Jeep Safari. As it was, we snuck out early before breakfast, not wanting to sit family-style at a table where we clearly weren't welcome.

Lots of folks seem to have a wonderful experience at Cali Cochitta. But of the negative reviews, it seems those guests had a similar experience to us, getting on the host's bad side in some way and then being treated poorly. Many of those reviews are followed by a note from the host/owner indicating she "wishes they'd have brought this up while they were at the B&B." All I can say is that if she truly meant that, her demeanor would be more welcoming of interaction. We were intensely uncomfortable. I'm not sure how you'd even address that issue - "Excuse me, I'm feeling like I've upset you and am now very unwelcome by you"?

Although I can appreciate being surprised by the gift certificate, I can't imagine why it warranted the response we got.

The B&B and grounds themselves were lovely: I gave 2 stars for this reason only; otherwise it would have been 1 star. Had the host been at all gracious, we would have happily returned for another visit and recommended it to friends. After our less than warm reception, we will not be doing so.

You can certainly take your chances, although if you do, I highly recommend doing whatever possible not to make any mistakes or get on the host's bad side.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Wanderlust0123

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Things that you wrote were not quite as I remember them. I am sorry you felt sensitive to my responses. It is true I was surprised when you came for check in and you presented a gift certificate to pay for your stay. The gift certificate (as I explained in detail to you) requires you to call us and make a reservation and not make one online as you did because there are fees that are charged that we can not refund to you. I don't remember ever being rude or unkind to you and I am sorry that you felt like I was. I love what I do and taking care of my guests is my priority.