“Ordinary Hotel”

Moab Valley Inn
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Moab
Reviewed 20 May 2008

We stayed at the Moab Valley Inn from May 13-15, 2008

I have to agree that this is just an average hotel.

Too be honest, when we first drove up, I was a little frightened. It looked like a very run down old hotel (not like the picture here). Though, after going to our room, I found the room had been nicely renovated and there was LOTS of space.

We booked a suite room, which was a nice size. We had 3 tv's as promised (one by the bed, one in the sitting area and one in the bathroom). It was nice to have a tv in the sitting area, so we could check the weather while eating breakfast in our room.

I was disappointed with the breakfast as well. When they said hot breakfast, I expected more than making my own waffles. Maybe I was spoiled from my previous hotel, but it was quite disappointing. Their breakfast included: hard boiled eggs, cold cereal, waffles (make your own), coffee, juice, milk, bread, and yogurt. It was much less than I expected. There was not enough room to sit down and eat. Though, they did provide trays and encouraged you to take your breakfast to your room.

I did not use any of the other facilities, but was fairly happy with the location and overall hotel. It was nothing spectacular, but it was pleasant.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 May 2008

I've been on the road for 4 weeks, and it's disappointing to have to write my first negative review.

First the good points: it's a decent enough property, in a nice setting, albeit on the main road - but set a little back, with a decent pool. The room was well equipped and clean, and everything worked well.

I had 3 issues: the wifi didn't work, and despite regularly drawing this to the attention of the staff, their only response was to promise to reboot the modem. And it wasn't just my own laptop at fault, as their own pc for guest use was also down. Fair enough - I understand that technology sometimes fails. But the staff response was weak.

2ndly, that evening an intense rumbling and vibration started in my bedroom (220). I went to front desk and asked them to investigate, and the clerk said "Oh, that must be our housekeeper using our laundry room which is directly below your room. I'll make sure she turns it off before too long.(!)"

The 3rd point is my real complaint: at just after 6am, this noise starts up again. I ask the front desk to send the duty manager to my room, and they send me 2 ladies from housekeeping: they work out that it is the hotel drying machines, and undertake to go and stop them. The machines stop and start many times over the next hour. Meanwhile, I am running up phone bills that should not be necessary, but the wifi doesn't work: so by this time I am pretty cheesed off.

I complain to the front desk again on checking out, and there is no real interest - just a lukewarm "sorry that you are disappointed, sir." I expect a bit more - the staff really should give a bit more priority to the sleeping experience of their guests!

I understand that problems happen, but It is the failure of the staff - several times - to address these issues that leads me to give a low score to what should be a good experience. They charge a premium rate - $100 - and should make a bit more effort to justify it.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 May 2008

This is your average decent, ordinary motel. The room was clean, comfortable, modern, and of decent size. The common areas were likewise fine. The only thing I was less than pleased with was the free breakfast, which was pretty basic. Maybe the previous reviewers who praised the breakfast were content with hardboiled eggs, waffles, and toast, but it's nice to have more than that.

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 27 April 2008

I had a very good experience in my recent 6 night stay at the Moab Valley Inn. I thought the breakfast was excellent, the room was very spacious, and the price was very reasonable for the area. The staff was excellent and always friendly. It's true that some of the furnishings are a little dated, but it's nothing that detracts from the experience. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 December 2007

Reviewed this hotel in 2005 and despite dislike of the breakfast returned in 2007. Stayed in suite this time & as before found the room facilities highly satisfactory in terms of comfort & cleanliness. For the few extra dollars the suite facilites were excellent value for money and would recommend unless you are on a budget.

Front desk was helpful & friendly again. Breakfast just the same as 2005 - free but poor. There is an excellent new mid-sized supermarket across the road with all you could want so with the suite facility we were able to make our own healthy breakfasts!

Moab seemed to be much less busy this year & in the Moab Brewery was told that town had been quieter this year. Can't really understand why because the things that draw us to Moab are still the same.

Stayed 4 nights this time visiting Arches, Canyonlands & rafted the Colorado with Canyon Voyage Adventure Co who were excellent.

All in all highly satisfactory - just don't expect much of the breakfast. Would again be happy to return there next time.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2007

A recent two night stay was pleasant. I always enjoy a quiet, clean hotel room.

To avoid the pool crowd, get a room away from the pool.

*Pixie*

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PixieC
Reviewed 2 October 2007

This hotel is across from the Moab brewery, which has decent food and a good beer selection.The hotel itself is ok. It's clean but a little dated.The a.c.'s don't work well, they shut by themselves and never quite get to that desired temp.There is a laundry on premises.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends