“Ran in and ran out. Great night. ”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moab
Base Camp Adventure Lodge
Ranked #20 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Moab
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

3 of us ran in on the trails and had a perfect night at the lodge. Clean, nice rooms, and spectacular location off the grid. The owner is a character, and we absolutely enjoyed his stories and thoughtful hospitality. The pet tortoise named Koebe is also a character, and greeted us before saying enough of all the noise and retreating to the laundry room. We will repeat for sure. Highly recommend if you want to get away.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I took my son and daughter for a spring break trip to southern Utah and we spent two nights here. We had a great time but there's so much to do we'll have to go back! The owner, Tom, knows the area like the back of his hand. Just tell him what you like to do and he'll point you in the right direction. We went fossil hunting, rock collecting, geocaching, cave exploring, hiked up the Amasa Back, looked at petroglyphs and took the side by side to Chicken Corners. All that in just two days and there was so much more we didn't have time for. We even got to see Kobae the security tortoise intimidate a pit bull. (Kobae considers himself THE alpha dog.)

Room Tip: Any room will do. You're not going to spend much time in it.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This was a beyond awesome lodging experience. Keep in mind - we are backpackers & backcountry campers so we have a unique perspective. Our family of 4 stayed in the hogan closest to the lodge and had the time of our lives just exploring the area on our own with helpful advice from Tom, the owner. The trip over Hurrah Pass at sunset with red rocks glowing in the evening light was just magical.

Hogan was very large - we could have fit a dozen people or more in here to sleep. Loved the view of the sky out the rooftop opening when lying in my sleeping bag at night. We were extremely comfortable here with our sleeping bags and pads. We did bring a few tarps along to spread out our sleeping bags on and give us some area free from red sand. Firepit right in the center of the hogan where we did make a fire but didn't master the fine art of how to get the right draft out the rooftop vent so things got a bit smoky. There was another outdoor fire ring overlooking the Colorado river and beautiful rock cliffs right outside the hogan so we cooked and hung out there for meals.

Our 2 herding breed dogs were welcomed by Tom and they loved hiking around Base Camp and the adjoining areas with us.

Tom is a congenial and entertaining host. We loved watching his desert tortoise sidekick, Kobae, eat massive quantities of lettuce and cucumbers. Tom recommended a mountain bike ride to the wind caves which turned out to be a perfect adventure for our family. We spent several hours exploring the caves and picnicking. Stayed 2 nights and had the time of our lives! Highly recommend.

I hiked from Base Camp to top of Hurrah Pass when headed back to Moab - rest of the family drove up. Beautiful hike with incredible views all around.

Hope you have a chance to stay with Tom and Kobae. You won't forget the beauty of the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 February 2014

4x4 drive and loving sense of adventure strongly recommended. This is possibly the most magical vacation I have ever taken, and 5 months later I still find myself thinking of it almost daily. Tom is a unique, lively, accommodating and generous host who if you're lucky, will offer to take you up to the wind caves. His friends (aka "critters") run all about the property and make for a fun morning looking out the windows while enjoying breakfast. Honestly, his property and the surrounding vistas were more beautiful (and offered more solitude) than Arches, or Canyonlands NP as they felt "untouched," albeit those parks are still worth the visit! Tom is an incredibly generous host, offering to us his ATV's to explore the beautiful canyons. This was hands down the most beautiful, exhilarating, and amazing part of the trip. Truly cannot wait to return. Tom, if you're reading this THANK YOU for offering to us such an unforgettable memory.

- Anna (& Bradford)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Your adventure at Base Camp begins with an unforgettable ride in over Hurrah Pass, and the awesomeness continues from there: if you're into hiking, kayaking, atv-ing, disc-golf, critter-watching, awesome views, geocaching, stargazing, geology, fossils, or just getting off the beaten path, Base Camp has it all. Tom is a consummate story-teller and is intimately acquainted with the area; his passion for creating a safe, fun, educational and interesting environment made for an outstanding trip. I've been a lot of amazing and unique places, but none have resonated the way Base Camp and the Canyonlands park it abuts have done - it was an unforgettable experience. The lodge itself is furnished with a full kitchen, gas grills, dining and living spaces - rooms have a bathroom, mini-fridge, microwave and fan/a.c./some sort of heating unit (we were there in Sept., so we didn't need heat!) I'd go back this minute!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Periculam
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Base Camp provided us with a wonderful experience for us and our children. Tom is a very generous host, friendly and open. We took a trip on ATVs, and went swimming in the river. The landscape is beautiful, and unique. Tortoise was also fun to watch, and we had a great disc golf game. We were there at the end of July and it is *hot*, so be prepared. Even indoors, you can't really beat the heat. It's not a luxury resort, it's an experience, that I would highly recommend, but don't look to be pampered! The trail that you take to get to the lodge is rough, very rough. We ripped out part of the exhaust system of our minivan...probably need an SUV to make that trip reliably. All part of the fun.

Room Tip: If the A/C seems like it's not working, it's probably frozen up. Turn it off and let it defr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Tom H, Owner at Base Camp Adventure Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2013

I have no problem with any of the reviews except the one that's eight or nine years old and had nothing to do with me, was a bed and breakfast and did camel tours, but the geniuses at Tripadvisor won't delete.

Reading through the others they are what they are but if you don't like your pillow, say something, I have ten more sitting in the offices of various shapes and sizes. If you have an air conditioner that has an issue, say something. I've had a brand new one sitting in a box for two years in case one ever went out. If two go out I'll take one out of the office. Everybody is just too nice. Anybody that ever had a problem I solved it. Anybody that ever needed something I bought what they needed next time I went to town so I have it now, but you have to tell me. Ok, I didn't buy seat belts for dogs but everything else.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

Definitely NOT your typical stay at a lodge. The scenic but challenging ride to Tom's lodge is only the start of a grand, off-the-beaten-track, unusual, exhilarating yet relaxing, educational (if you like), and FUN adventure. Tom's hospitality and his story telling will make you wish you had more time to spend at this near-Shangri-La by the Colorado River.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family