“Great place!”

Under Canvas Moab
Ranked #3 of 34 Speciality Lodging in Moab
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed in the Deluxe tent and had a giant bed to share. Being out in Moab, you're supposed to spend the day taking in all of the amazing sights, which is exactly what we did. We stayed for two nights, and each evening came home after a long day of hiking/paddling to a hot shower and a comfy bed.

Real showers/flushing toilets/sinks were great and clean as well!

Keep in mind that you are still camping, so when it's windy outside the tent does blow around a bit! Still got a great nights' sleep every night!

2  Thank Lauren J
Darencole28, General Manager at Under Canvas Moab, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Lauren

I’m so happy to hear we were able to deliver a truly unique and memorable backdrop for your Moab adventure. Thank you for the kind words and overview on your experience.

You got to experience every aspect of our resort as intended!

The combination of the beds and the clean desert air make for a great night’s sleep.

I hope we see you on your next visit to eastern Utah.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed in a tipi for one night (not cheap, but unique and well worth the price). The tipi was extremely hot when we arrived and the heat did not subside until the sun went down. The battery operated fan was dead, but they replaced the battery upon request. The staff is very friendly. The cots are as comfortable as can be expected. The bathrooms are as good as can be expected for camping, but the smell is intense. The sunset and stars were worth it as was the fresh air and tranquil setting. While I did not sleep a wink due to the heat, I would do it again for the views. Cooking out tipi-side was awesome too:).

Room Tip: I asked to be relatively close to the bathroom. We were a short walk away which was perfect. I fear...
2  Thank Dana S

Dana

Thank you so much for providing your feedback regarding you stay with us! I’m glad to hear you got to experience the natural wonder that we are located in, it is truly amazing.

Moab does tend to get a wee bit warm during this time of the year. We have just installed a mister system throughout the resort in our Safari and Deluxe/Suite units which makes a huge difference.

We are also upgrading our rest room facilities this week which we are extremely excited about.
I hope you will revisit us during your next trip to Moab and provide your feedback on our upgrades and changes.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

The Romance - glowing white teepees under the starry desert sky. A unique experience sleeping in a teepee, surrounded by beautiful scenery and only a short drive from Lovely Arches National Park and nifty downtown Moab. Evening campfires are a nice place to meet and chat with fellow teepee-ers.

The Reality - tiny cots with sleeping bags, inside a teepee made of canvas that flaps noisily in the wind. The restrooms are tiny stalls inside of a modified trailer. Pull-chain showers only dispense water while you're actively pulling on the chain (if you let go, no water), and Winnebago-style toilets. We've done quite a bit of tent camping,and these restrooms were not nearly as nice as most bath houses you would find in a state park.

Do I recommend Moab Under Canvas? A qualified yes. It's a unique experience in an interesting place with nice people running the establishment. It's a bit pricey -- I think you're paying a premium for the novelty of it. If you're expecting a tent camping experience with less than fabulous bathing facilities, you won't be disappointed. If you're expecting glamour and posh, better check into the Hilton.

5  Thank KHillm

Thank you for your feedback and comments.

You will be happy to know that we are in process of upgrading our rest rooms and will have standard toilets in every stall this week! We do go with the pull chain showers specifically from a water conversation perspective. We are also exploring some very creative and unique options for our shower facilities.

I would love to have you visit us on your next trip to Moab and try out one of our Safari our deluxe units where we have queen size beds that are extremely comfortable and very fun to sleep in surrounded by the red rock vistas.

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed the fire pit and got to experience the true communal interaction that we strive to create to meet new people and share your Moab stories!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I have not been a camper for 40 years and was never much of one in the first place, but Moab Under Canvas just might have changed that! What a great experience. We had a hotel room with canvas walls, great views, starry skies and fresh air. It was a perfect evening. My only regret is that we hadn't planned to stay longer!

Our deluxe safari tent had two twin beds and they were as comfortable as anything I have at home, (and I am fussy about the beds at home.) The tent had a raised wooden floor which extended beyond the tent to provide a patio out front. We had a bathroom, complete with shower inside the tent as well. We didn't use the wood burning stove, but it was there if we had needed it complete with firewood. The tent was spacious enough to also include a dresser, a small table, a couple of chairs and a nightstand. Lanterns and a fan were battery operated as there is not electricity.

We enjoyed our time on the patio so much! From the time we checked in to the time we checked out, we hated to leave our patio. We had to run into Moab for a few items and hurried to get back to the patio - feeling we were wasting precious time with our view of the desert and Arches. Toward dusk, a pronghorn wandered past us, just a short distance away. As the sun set and sky darkened, we enjoyed a starry, starry night!

The desert wind reminded us that we were indeed camping - lest we forget with all of the amenities - and rattled the tent walls a bit as we drifted off to sleep. But it was not enough to keep us from sleeping and we had a very peaceful night of restful sleep.

Breakfast in the morning, on our patio of course, was delicious. Just one more nice touch - room service in the desert. I can't say enough how much we enjoyed that night Under Canvas. We will look for 'Under Canvas' opportunities everywhere we go from now on and will encourage friends to do the same.

As I said, we weren't campers - until now.

Room Tip: Go for the deluxe - you have more privacy and better views.
4  Thank JWminnesota

Thank you so much for your kind words and I’m so happy to hear that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations!

You truly got the Under Canvas experience in every aspect of your stay.

As you ease back into your new found camping, or should I say Glamping, lifestyle be sure to check out our sister locations in Glacier and Yellowstone!

We look forward to your next visit and thank you again for the kind words!

Take care,

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Moab Under Canvas is a great choice if you're looking to camp in Moab, but don't want to deal with the hassle of bringing all the gear and setting it up. We stayed in one of the teepees and it was a great experience. The cots and sleeping bags that were provided were surprisingly comfortable. The bathrooms consist of a trailer with 6 stalls, so it can get pretty busy at bedtime and in the morning, when everyone's trying to shower and brush their teeth, but it was more than accommodating. It was a windy night when we stayed (I hear that's typical for summers in Moab), so it definitely shook the tent, but we were comfortable and plenty warm in the sleeping bags. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. We opted not to purchase any of the meals, since it's only a 5-10 minute drive in to town and, at the price they ask for breakfast and lunch ($12-15), it's much cheaper to go get it yourself in Moab. The location of the campsite is beautiful - really nice sunrise/sunset views and views of the stars at night. We would definitely visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Darencole28, General Manager at Under Canvas Moab, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Thank you for the kind words and overview on your stay.

I’m glad to hear that the Tipi’s worked out well and we were able to be the perfect backdrop for your Moab adventure!

On your next visit you will have to try one of Safari or Deluxe units!

Take care and thanks again,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

First and foremost, this is camping in the high desert with some really nice amenities. The desert (in June) is hot and can be windy. You have to know that going in. The evenings were perfect with a cool night and great sleeping. They offer a truly pretty campsite with amenities that beat any camp site that I have been to. The bathroom trailer works well and is by far better than any campsite bathroom that I have used. (Side note: The handicap accessible bathroom also doubles as a great family bathroom). When it is windy, you can notice it. Once again, it is to be expected in the location that has that kind of landscape. I found the staff accommodating and a lot of fun to talk to. They offer whatever they can make it work. I hope this helps.

Room Tip: Safari Tent with a Tipi for the kids. A GREAT way to enjoy the site. Also, the accessible bathroom...
1  Thank Erik I

Erik

I’m happy to hear that we provided a great experience during your visit to Moab Under Canvas and the Moab area.

I appreciate the kind words and overview of your experience and what to expect while on site.
I hope we see you again on your next trip to Moab!

Take care and thanks again,

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in a "DELUX" tent, and we were very happy. The bed was super comfortable, the little bathroom & shower were all we needed, and the views were beyond belief! The attached porch with super comfy chairs was worth the price alone! And if you get cold at all, the little wood stove warms the whole place up really fast. I was a little disappointed that we didn't get our own campfire, but when I realized they weren't allowed to give each tent their own, I happily went to the communal campfire and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was to chat with everyone and make s'mores and sip drinks together. The staff is really friendly, and super willing to hear suggestions since they've been open such a short time. Also love that the tents are not too close together - the privacy is lovely. We stayed in tent #7 - fantastic location & views!

Room Tip: If you're willing to pay the price, I would suggest any of the deluxe tents or suites. They hav...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I appreciate the overview and I’m happy that we were able to provide a truly unique and memorable experience during your time in Moab!

I also appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I know you have some experience in Glamping and all of your suggestions were fantastic.

I can’t wait for you to visit us in the future as we have time to implement some of your great ideas!

Take care and thank you again,