“OMG! Misrepresentation!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berlin
Assateague State Park Camping
Buffalo, New York, United States
“OMG! Misrepresentation!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I should begin by saying that I am not a fair weather camper, nor am I a rookie. I have been camping with my family in every type of weather since before I can remember. Before taking this trip I have never bailed on a camping trip before...

The pros:
The campground was clean and the staff/ rangers very nice. The beach was very close with a beautiful view. Seeing and watching the ponies were cool!

The cons:
However, when I booked the campsite the web did not say anything about the campground being entirely sand. If I had known that I would have brought the proper stakes to keep my tent anchored and it wouldn't have blown over...in the middle of the night. Also, when reserving the site, the web said the site was partial shade. It neglected to say the shade was from whatever shade your tent cast. I would have brought a shade tent so my husband, daughter and I would not have had heat exhaustion. Then there was the black flies...3 different bug repellents were like sugar water!

If we would have talked to the rangers in the first place instead of the web we would have been better prepared.

In short...a good day trip for someone who has never seen the ponies...but I won't be returning!

• Stayed August 2013
8 Thank Maria S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Barboursville, West Virginia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My girlfriend and I put together a last minute trip a few days before the 4th of July and we were extremely satisfied with our first camping on the beach experience. Unfortunately even at the end of June/beginning of July it had not warmed the ocean up to a comfortable temperature for swimming but it wasn't a big deal.

The registration office is easily accessible and the staff was friendly and informative and strictly advised staying away from the horses which some people didn't seem to take very seriously. They sell firewood at the office but my biggest complaint was that it was soaked when I bought it. It's in a little wooden shed that obviously leaks so given that it had rained a lot I was not able to get it to light so we went the first night without a fire. I had to lay all the wood out on the picnic table to dry the next day and the other nights were fine.

The campground itself is huge. There are several loops but the majority of the sites are a good size and spaced out well from your neighbors. We stayed in a tent only site and there was room for our tent and a canopy without a problem. It was also very flat which is something I'm not used to when camping so that was a big bonus. A fire ring and picnic table were standard among all the sites.

The bath houses are large and can accommodate several people at a time and they were fairly clean and a little dated, but no sense in complaining as you're supposed to be roughing it anyway.

The beach was only about 100 yards from our site and had access through the dunes and it was a wonderful site. You look both ways and there isn't a hotel in sight and it was awesome. The sand is clean and white, unlike most East coast beaches.

The wild horses were great also. They were more active in the morning so we were able to get some great pictures of them. They seem very territorial so the same ones can be seen in the same areas throughout the day. They can create traffic jams if you're driving because people don't follow directions and they stop on the road to take pictures. I wish the rules were more strictly enforced on that matter as it frequently occurred.

There are long, paved sidewalks that are perfect for jogging, walking, and biking that lead all the way to the national side of the island but we never made it that far unfortunately.

In the same area as the registration/ranger office there is a little store and restaurant that sells random beach supplies and they serve fried foods. The prices weren't terrible but they weren't WalMart prices either. They accept debit/credit cards which was convenient.

Overall it was a great trip and we are already talking about going back in the next year or two, but we'll wait until later in July so we can see the horses swim across the bay and so that the water will hopefully be warm enough to swim in. It is a great experience and I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank razorguy
Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 August 2013

camping here is great. having sand all over the place does get to be old :), but that's about it. make sure to reserve well in advance, bring bug stuff & BUY THE LONG TENT PINS!!! (10 to 12 inch). the bugs aren't bad on the beach, but the bug stuff is needed around the campsites. the closer your site is to the beach the better off you are. in the fall the place is empty and you have it to yourself. at night if your site is close to the dunes you can literally fall asleep to the sound of the waves. planning your trip when there is a full moon is also very pretty. the lights of ocean city are visible if you look up the coast but they are not close enough to ruin the view of the lit up skies. Due to the unique experience it is a rather expensive campground, around $30 a night for just tent camping.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jonathan K
Dracut, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2013

As an avid camper in northern New Hampshire, these sites were much too close for my style. Most of the people there have large campers. The beach was nice and very close to the campsites. For those who love the beach and don't mind being so close to your nieghbors I would recommend this place, for those camping, not so much.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tj V
Lovettsville, Virginia
Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

Main complaint... No privacy bc of the beach setting. But thats what you will get with a beach setting. No electric hookups so you do get to hear the generators. Service was nice. Campstore is limited so try to bring what you need. Bathhouses were pretty decent. What can beat going to bed and listening to the ocean? Its nice that the beach is limited to campers only. Keeps it from getting overcrowded.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank rowdies
Reviewed 21 June 2013

The best of this campground is that you are Two steps from the beach! Plus that you can hang out with horses all day long, for real! Another positive thing is that there is hot water in the bath house and that everyone is very respectful at night. The problem is that there are fire grills in the sites but no grills, so either you bring one from home or you kindly exchange it from another site which is empty. It was a good experience but if I go back to assateague I will go to the national campground cause there are more recreational options to do during the day - rent kayaks, bikes, etc.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank JackSchnauzer
Dover, Delaware
Reviewed 5 May 2013

This was our first time camping at the state park. The park staff were very friendly. The sites are all paved and fairly level. The "H" loop has 30 amp electric and the sites are all pretty large. We were camping with our 30' TT and had lots of room with the truck in front of it. The dump/fill station is next to the "H" loop which was very convenient. The bathhouses are large, but not much hot water. Of course, what makes this place so special are the ponies, wildlife, and beaches. All were spectacular. The ponies are easy to find and in fact one morning they were just hanging out right outside our camper. I would recommend this place to anyone, but maybe not in the late summer as there is no shade anywhere. We will go back again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 741Brad
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
Atlantic Hotel
Waterside Inn
#5 of 19 in Chincoteague Island
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ocean City
Castaways RV Resort & Campground

Been to Assateague State Park Camping? Share your experiences!