“Survivors - Assateague Island: I survived 9 days with wild horses, public bathhouse and a huge thunderstorm”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berlin
Assateague State Park Camping
Reviewed 16 July 2014

This place is recommended for the avid campers alike. If you are experiencing tent camping for the first time...my recommendation is not do it for more than 3 days. As for me...I feel like a constant on the Survivors episodes. There were a few close encounters the horse who likes to get up close and personal.

The newly renovated bathhouse is something to brag about...according to return visitors. The neighboring campers are very friendly and everyone has a unspoken commitment to look out for each other. The rangers are always on patrol...they even secured our campsite for us during a big storm so we would not lose our canopy and tents while we were out for dinner.

In a nutshell...great place to take the family camping. Would I recommend 9 days for the Gucci at heart...no way!!!
Would I do it again...only with an RV!!

• Stayed: July 2014
6  Thank Tippy H

Reviewed 26 May 2014

OMG! This is our first time here, and it was AWESOME!!! Wild horses poop here / there, they walk about as if they own the place, you can watch them during the sunrise & sunset when they come out. If you're bored, going to the beach is definitely awesome! Firewood can be purchased at the front office or at nearby spots. I would definitely come back again and it's definitely a wonderful experience. We even got rained on throughout the night, water came into our tent and it was a big storm, but still the overall experience is absolutely wonderful. Waves are pretty medium, 2-3ft swells. Very friendly hosts, staff, and wonderful gated access to the beach. I LOVE it!

Room Tip: Watch out for mosquitoes & there is no shade, so bring your own, or just go when it is cooler ou...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pijiotoe
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Been here twice, and loved it. Have stayed at many Oceanside campgrounds, and this one is the best. This is one of those campgrounds where if you are lucky enough to get a site (book early) there is no need to take a cooler with snacks and drinks to the beach; you are that close. And not crowded. Only the people camped in your loop use your beach.
The beach itself is beautiful, the ocean has a gradual slope, but still good waves, and the horses that roam freely through the campground, and even on the beach sometimes, are a beautiful sight. All the guide books say go to Chincateague to see wild horses, but if you want up close and personal, Assateague is the place to be. Lots of easy bike riding on paved roads and is within easy driving distance of the hustle and bustle of Ocean City if you need a break from peace and quiet. Loops b and c are the best.

• Stayed: August 2013
26  Thank fourcamperz
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Assateague state park is a great camping for those who want's the wild side of the camping. It's not the fancy grass site with all the aminities. You go there to enjoy the beach from dawn to dusk and even more. Beach all the way, barefoot all day long if your site is near from the beach. It's clean and everybudy freindly. Be aware on each loop there is an Asseateague friend , he act as a kind of a guardian and he will remember you gently the rules of the park.He is on a site and stay there all day and night so be advise, not a party campground. Otherwise it's great at assateague to live closer to the ocean that you will ear at high tide. On high season reserve there is no place at all the week-ends.

Room Tip: The closest to the beach on small loop.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Alain H
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I camped at the State Park for about half a miserable day last week, after a few days of camping in the National Park. I've camped there before, and enjoyed it very much, but last week, the beach was swarming with biting black flies (completely immune to my 40% deet bug spray), and the camp site wasn't much better. It's probably just a matter of the direction the wind was blowing, but I can't help thinking it wouldn't be so bad if the vegitation in the camp ground were cut back a bit.

If you're planning on camping on Assateague, and aren't sure if you should stay in the National Park, or the Maryland State Park, my advise is go to for the National Park, but here are the pros and cons, so you can decide for yourself...

National Park:
Pros: Bigger park, bigger camp sites, nice beach, really nice bay beach too, 2 beautiful clamming/crabbing areas, more places to see the horses, less rules (alcohol is allowed, the dogs are allowed anywhere in th park, longer leashes ok, camp fires on beach ok), well maintained.
Cons: No hot water in the showers, no flushing toilets (all pit toilets, but well maintained), $15 fee per car to get into the park, even if you've already paid for camping (only have to pay the fee once)

Maryland State Park:
Pros: Nicer beach, longer quiet hours, bath houses with hot showers, and flushing toilets, nice playground for kids, no fee to enter the park.
Cons: Smaller camp sites, costs more per night than National park, a lot of rules (dogs are only allowed in very limited areas and have to be on short leashes, no alcohol allowed, no fires allowed on beach), no clamming/crabbing spots.

Room Tip: Get a spot as close to the ocean as possible. When the wind is blowing in from the ocean, the bugs a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Amanda K
Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

I should begin by saying that I am not a fair weather camper, nor am I a rookie. I have been camping with my family in every type of weather since before I can remember. Before taking this trip I have never bailed on a camping trip before...

The pros:
The campground was clean and the staff/ rangers very nice. The beach was very close with a beautiful view. Seeing and watching the ponies were cool!

The cons:
However, when I booked the campsite the web did not say anything about the campground being entirely sand. If I had known that I would have brought the proper stakes to keep my tent anchored and it wouldn't have blown over...in the middle of the night. Also, when reserving the site, the web said the site was partial shade. It neglected to say the shade was from whatever shade your tent cast. I would have brought a shade tent so my husband, daughter and I would not have had heat exhaustion. Then there was the black flies...3 different bug repellents were like sugar water!

If we would have talked to the rangers in the first place instead of the web we would have been better prepared.

In short...a good day trip for someone who has never seen the ponies...but I won't be returning!

• Stayed: August 2013
10  Thank Maria S
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My girlfriend and I put together a last minute trip a few days before the 4th of July and we were extremely satisfied with our first camping on the beach experience. Unfortunately even at the end of June/beginning of July it had not warmed the ocean up to a comfortable temperature for swimming but it wasn't a big deal.

The registration office is easily accessible and the staff was friendly and informative and strictly advised staying away from the horses which some people didn't seem to take very seriously. They sell firewood at the office but my biggest complaint was that it was soaked when I bought it. It's in a little wooden shed that obviously leaks so given that it had rained a lot I was not able to get it to light so we went the first night without a fire. I had to lay all the wood out on the picnic table to dry the next day and the other nights were fine.

The campground itself is huge. There are several loops but the majority of the sites are a good size and spaced out well from your neighbors. We stayed in a tent only site and there was room for our tent and a canopy without a problem. It was also very flat which is something I'm not used to when camping so that was a big bonus. A fire ring and picnic table were standard among all the sites.

The bath houses are large and can accommodate several people at a time and they were fairly clean and a little dated, but no sense in complaining as you're supposed to be roughing it anyway.

The beach was only about 100 yards from our site and had access through the dunes and it was a wonderful site. You look both ways and there isn't a hotel in sight and it was awesome. The sand is clean and white, unlike most East coast beaches.

The wild horses were great also. They were more active in the morning so we were able to get some great pictures of them. They seem very territorial so the same ones can be seen in the same areas throughout the day. They can create traffic jams if you're driving because people don't follow directions and they stop on the road to take pictures. I wish the rules were more strictly enforced on that matter as it frequently occurred.

There are long, paved sidewalks that are perfect for jogging, walking, and biking that lead all the way to the national side of the island but we never made it that far unfortunately.

In the same area as the registration/ranger office there is a little store and restaurant that sells random beach supplies and they serve fried foods. The prices weren't terrible but they weren't WalMart prices either. They accept debit/credit cards which was convenient.

Overall it was a great trip and we are already talking about going back in the next year or two, but we'll wait until later in July so we can see the horses swim across the bay and so that the water will hopefully be warm enough to swim in. It is a great experience and I would highly recommend it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank razorguy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ocean City
#1 of 1 in Berlin
Waystead Inn
Waystead Inn
#2 of 2 in Berlin

Been to Assateague State Park Camping? Share your experiences!