“Truely a Beer Lover's Spot”

Burley Oak Brewing Company
Ranked #3 of 19 things to do in Berlin
Bishopville, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Truely a Beer Lover's Spot”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Come for the wonderful varieties of very local beer. Many of the ingredients are from farms I know. You can get a root beer here too. You'll need to BYOF - Bring your own food, but it is not a problem. I've been a customer since they opened and it only gets better.

Visited August 2014

Boston fan stuck in NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Great Micro Brew”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great place for a rainy afternoon great wait staff. Brain has a hit on his hands as you can find his brews in most local establishments.

Visited July 2014
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Excellent beer, great variety, friendly staff”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I was in the vicinity, I had read about the Burley Oak on a beer Web site and decided to stop in. I sampled five different beers from a wide variety of choices. All were excellent and fine examples of their respective styles. The bartender who served me was friendly and knowledgeable. When I complemented the owner/brewmaster, he was very appreciative. Too bad I live so far away or I would be a regular.

Visited June 2014
Ocean City, Maryland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Even better than you expect!!”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

A lot of craft beer bars and breweries can have a very elitist feel if you're not a regular or you don't rate beers based on things like "headiness" or "mouth feel."

However, if you sit at the bar at Burley Oak you will be comfortable and impressed. I go to Burley Oak once every few months, but I wish I could go once a week. The staff is extremely friendly. Teddy, the bartender, was such a friendly, welcoming person while I was there. I could tell she was working for passion more than a paycheck.

On to the main event, the BEER! Which is incredible! I tried most of the beers they offered that day and they were all so great and so different. I'm not a beer expert, but a lot of breweries seem to have a specific aftertaste that transcends their beers. Not Burley.

If you're in OC/Berlin, go to Burley Oak. You'll thank yourself.

Visited May 2014
Berlin, Maryland
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Super friendly scene with sublime beer!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

It there's a place in heaven serving craft beer, it's probably modeled after Burley Oak. Set in an historic cooperage in the "Coolest Small Town in America" has a great ambiance as well as the welcoming kind vibe that immediately makes you feel at home, no matter if you're a regular or first time visitor. Of course the most compelling reason to visit is their always delicious craft beer. Bunker C, Rude Boy, Locale and anything on the nitro tap are my usual favorites, but they're all good in their own right.

A trip to Berlin isn't complete without stopping into Burley Oak to check-in with the crew and check-out what's newly brewed. There's frequently live music in the evenings courtesy of a variety of local bands (and some pretty good musicians passing through). Watching our sports teams play one of our favorite the "offseason" (Labor Day - Memorial Day) activities.

Burley Oak does not serve food, but they welcome their guests bringing their own food or having a pizza delivered to the bar. While having a kitchen on site would be convenient, I prefer the BYO policy. As a rule, we will bring food that's better than the typical bar food fare and in the offseason there's frequently an pot luck feast that appears on any given weekend (while watching a Redskins or Ravens game).

Visited May 2014