“Give me that old-time feeling”
Review of Atlantic Hotel

Atlantic Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Berlin
Reviewed 1 September 2013

What a lovely hotel. As soon as you enter Berlin you fell like you've gone back in time but once you get to The Hotel Atlantic you really feel the ambiance and charm that's so hard to find today. Actually, you don't even have to enter - it starts n the porch, 1/2 for just "settin" and 1/2 that's part of the hotel's restaurant. We enjoyed a lovely dinner sitting outside there. Of course, we ate crabs - soft shell that night.

Our room was large and spacious and comfortable though no vanity in the bathroom, remember, it's old fashioned. The only drawback was that breakfast isn't served but we got coffee and breakfast from a little shop around the corner and sat on the porch eating it.

There was a technical problem with the room our second night - the fire alarm announced it needed new batteries in the middle of the night and it took a while till we figured how to get the battery out so it would stop yelling at us. The hotel refunded the entire night's stay for this inconvenience. More than I thought was necessary. The Chef at the restaurant was also very accommodating supplying us with snacks to go with the bottle of wine of wine we brought along and filling our water bottles before our bike rides with ice and cold water.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 31 August 2013

It is a charming alternative to chain motels in nearby Ocean City. Picturesque, historic, and well worth visiting, even if you don't spend the night. Recently spent several nights here and loved the old-fashioned charm of the hotel and nearby town. Toiletries in the rooms are first-class. Rooms are very, very small by today's standards and quite pricey. Do NOT believe that the two room suite (Anna Suite) sleeps four. No way! The sofabed in the living room is very, very uncomfortable. The other couple sharing the room with us actually removed the thin mattress and laid it on the floor and still were miserable. The queen bed in the suite was wonderful but the sofabed is strictly for sitting not sleeping! Looking for a romantic couples getaway, pick this place for a weekend if you have the money. Coming here with a family (or more than two people in a room), stay elsewhere.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Atlantic Hotel during the end of July 2013. The hotel is a beautiful, Victorian hotel with so much character. The staff at the hotel were extremely pleasant and friendly. The hotel itself is kept so clean. It was constantly being cleaned and painted and the area rugs were shampooed while we were there. Our room was kept very clean at all times, also.
The restaurant in the hotel has a delicious menu. We loved everything we tried. We ate most evenings either outside, which was lovely or inside in the screened-in porch. On Monday evening, there was a charming piano player for entertainment. The bar staff were extremely friendly, too. While sitting and having a drink, we were chatting with the bar tender. I felt like we've known him all of our lives.
There was a ton of stuff to do, too. There are tons of shops in the center of Berlin all around the hotel. The Globe restaurant next door was awesome with outstanding food and drinks. The hotel is about 10 to 15 minutes from Ocean City, so you can go to the beach and boardwalk. We also went to Assateague, another beach which is minutes from the hotel. Also while staying in Berlin, we went on a horse and buggy tour.
Just note that we brought our own coffee pot, milk, sugar etc. which we learned to do from reading other reviews on Trip Advisor. If you are an early morning coffee person, this is the thing to do.
I guess if I had to say a negative, it would be that our room, room 15 was super tiny. That was okay, because we only used the room for sleeping and dressing but the room was literally a bed inside a room with a decent size bathroom. We had the opportunity to see a few of the other unoccupied rooms while staying. Rooms 12, 18 and 20 were large, spacious and beautiful. They looked like a place where royalty would stay! Overall, we had a wonderful experience. We are definitely going back later this year.

Room Tip: Keep in mind when booking that room 15 is extremely tiny. Its a bed in room with a decent sized bath...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AnessaPerry
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed at the Atlantic Hotel for the last two years in a row, and we absolutely love it. I hate the cheap feel of Ocean City, MD, and this place offers a beautiful, romantic alternative. As another reviewer mentioned, this place has an old-world charm that you don't find often. You do feel like you are stepping back in time while you are here, but in a good way. The rooms are beautiful (be sure to ask for one in the front, facing the street. The ones on the third floor in the back are a bit small and lack the charm of the larger rooms). Drummers Cafe is great for late-night drinks (try the Orange Crushes!), and the food is excellent. Dinner is worth every penny. Although they do not serve breakfast, there is a breakfast diner across the street and a great brunch place next door that serves Mimosas and has live music (It is called The Globe). There is also a coffee shop behind the hotel. Grab a coffee and relax on the beautiful porch.

Instead of the cheap chain stores that one finds in Ocean City and on the boardwalk, Berlin features a variety of interesting little shops on the same street as the hotel--there is a wine bar, some craft shops, and a WONDERFUL Jewelry/Chocolate shop (What a combination! Buy specialty truffles and a few necklaces. Great prices!)

When we stay in Berlin, we usually go to Assateague, which is only 10 minutes down the road. Not only does this beach have the wild horses (we have seen them on every trip there), it also charges a small fee to use the beach, so this keeps the crowds away.

If you want a memorable, romantic beach vacation that doesn't involve huge crowds, junk stores, and dirty hotels, then this is the place for you. We will stay here every time we visit Maryland.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Adi314
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We stayed here for two night recently. This place is about 10 minutes or so from seeing the wild ponies on the island. It is located in the heart of Berlin, which goes for like 2 blocks in all directions-small town. We had one of the two smaller rooms so it did seem a little pricey for the room, but none the less it is a beautiful hotel.
But like other reviews state, the staff does not stay over night. We had a power outage at 1-2 am and it woke all the rooms up and the local police and fire dept I think since it was the hotel among other parts of the town were out, sorted it all out and we got power back in an hour. We didn't eat here so I can't review the place to eat on the main floor, but it smelled good. So if you need a place to crash and have it located in the heart of a cool little town complete with antique stores, cafe's and the such then this is the place for you, as this i think is really the only hotel to choose from anyway.

Room Tip: Room 15 is very small, but it is a corner room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We were just passing through and stayed only one night, but it was a great stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful when we arrived, and set us up in a nice little room overlooking the front of the hotel. The room was cute - a good amount of victorian antique feeling, but not that cluttered, dusty and grandmotherly feel that I am not a fan of. We had a little bit of trouble figuring out the AC, but otherwise everything in the room was exactly as advertised and it was an uncomplicated night. Like other guests I would have liked a coffee maker or something in the room - they have these fantastic porches that would have been wonderful to sit on in the early morning with a cup of coffee.

We didn't eat in the hotel but had great meals at an italian restaurant down the road and the diner just across the street.

All in all I'd highly recommend the Atlantic and would be happy to spend more time there myself.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I planned a trip to historic Berlin with some girlfriends for the last weekend in April. We decide to stay at the Atlantic Hotel for the full Berlin experience. Everyone was excited. While enjoyed the weekend, I wish I had known a few things about the Atlantic Hotel before checking in. It would have made the stay much more enjoyable.

HERE'S WHAT WAS GREAT:

STAFF and ROOMS - The staff was excellent. Everyone was kind and respectful, from the time we made the reservations, to check-in and check-out. The housekeeping staff was courteous and friendly, and the restaurant staff was attentive and professional. The rooms were small (to be expected in a historic hotel) and clean. The the linens new and crisp. The rooms decorated with period furnishings yet each had a flat screen television. 2 bathrobes were hung in the bathrooms for the guests to use. The antique beds were comfortable, and extra pillows and blankets / quilts were provided.

HOTEL WAS CLEAN - All the areas of the hotel were clean, dusted and vacuumed - including the porch, the lobby, public restrooms, stairs, hallways and guest rooms. There is elevator access in case the grand staircase is too much for guests to maneuver with luggage, and there is designated parking behind the hotel. The Atlantic has succeeded in keeping its historic integrity while providing modern conveniences and a clean environment.

HERE'S WHAT WAS CHALLENGING:
The Atlantic Hotel doesn't provide some of the personal service people expect when staying at a hotel.

NO STAFF ON SITE AFTER 9:30 PM - The hotel has no staff on site from about 9:30 pm to 8:00 am the next morning. I didn't realize this and arrived unexpectedly late Friday night. I nearly got shut out for check-in. My group had all checked in, and I had spoken earlier in the day to hotel staff confirming my reservation so I assumed all was fine for my check in that night even though I was late. It never occurred to me that no one would be staffing the hotel when I arrived. Thank God one of my friends suggested I call to tell them. So while in a kayak on Ayers Creek participating in a sunset paddle excursion, I pulled out my cell phone and called the Atlantic Hotel to say I'd be arriving around 9 or 10 pm. Sure enough, staff was leaving by 9:30. The evening desk clerk (who was very nice and helpful) gave me directions on how to get my key out of a lock box by the back door.

NO MORNING COFFEE - Coffee is one of those things you figure will always be there in the morning at any hotel. It's in the coffee-drinkers' subconscious. In Berlin there is NO coffee in the town before the coffee shop opens at 8:00 am. So if you're up early like we are - you'll look all around the hotel checking the lobby for complimentary coffee tankards, then you'll search the halls and porches for a vending machine, then you'll start walking around town knowing there just HAS to be one place for coffee drinkers. You'll find that the diner opens at 8 am. The coffee shop opens at 8 am. The bakeries open at 10 (!?!). The final option once you realize there REALLY IS NO COFFEE in the town is to drive the short distance to a convenience store.

This was my experience. It was really no trouble at all to drive out for coffee. I just wish I'd known that's what I had to do before getting so frustrated. As I sat out on the porch drinking my coffee, I counted twelve people strolling the downtown in the course of about an hour. Six of them (3 couples) asked where I got my coffee. Around 8:00 am I got something out of my car and noticed two cyclists sitting on the steps of the coffee shop waiting for it to open.

The owner of the coffee shop explained things to me. She said the hotel owner feels it's too costly to staff the hotel at night and still be profitable, that also goes for staff making morning coffee for early risers. The rooms are full of antiques that could be destroyed by in-room coffee makers. I get that - really, I do. But a simple, no-cost solution would be to offer each guest a welcome package that explains this. "Coffee is available in town only after 8:00 am. Before that, it's just a short 3 minute drive out of town. Here are the directions." When a guest knows these things in advance and has a solution in hand, there's no frustration.

NO PUBLIC SPACE FOR GROUPS - There is no real public space for 5 to 7 people to relax and have conversation in the Atlantic hotel. No problem for a single traveler or couples, but if you're traveling in a group this is important to know There is a small room on the second floor furnished with a few antique chairs and there are odd clusters of 2 to 3 seats in the hallways - 2 rockers on the upper porches. The hotel's public spaces accommodate no more than 2 or 3 at a time. Even the deluxe room two of our guests had was too small for six people to gather comfortably. The restaurant and bar are for patrons. The rooms off of the lobby are locked. Relaxing as a group together after day is done is difficult in this hotel.

BREAKFAST ON SUNDAY - The last morning of our stay (Sunday) we'd planned to go to the The Globe Theater for their Sunday Brunch but found out that morning (note on the door) that it was closed for a wedding. Evidently the Globe is the only option for breakfast downtown on Sunday. We asked the hotel staff for suggestions of other places outside the downtown. They wanted to be helpful but had no ideas or suggestions of where to go. They admitted that breakfast on Sunday in town was a problem for guests. This was disappointing.

MORE LIKE A CONDO THAN A HOTEL
I think public perception about Hotels - even historic hotels - is that there is a certain hospitality that comes with the hotel experience. Staying in the Atlantic Hotel was more like staying in rented condo. .. nice digs, but you're on your own if want more than what's provided in the room.

OVERALL EXPERIENCE WAS GOOD - All in all, the hotel is beautiful, well kept, clean and has friendly staff. As long as a guest knows what to expect, the stay should be fine. I would encourage the Atlantic Hotel management to develop better communication with its patrons about available services, and work with the staff to present solutions that fill in the gaps. That wouldn't cost anything extra in the way of overhead or profits, and may make more people willing to return for a second visit.

Room Tip: Chat with the person making your reservation. The staff is very knowledgeable and the rooms are view...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank mindieburgoyne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berlin
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Ocean City
Castaways RV Resort & Campground
Waystead Inn
Waystead Inn
#2 of 2 in Berlin

Been to Atlantic Hotel? Share your experiences!