“Adequate accommodations”
Review of Badlands Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Interior
Badlands Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Interior B&B and Inns
Nebraska, United States
“Adequate accommodations”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We spent 1 night at this hotel and found it to be very adequate for what we were needing. Yes, the room was small, the bathroom was small, the carpet is old and the A/C is noisy. But, they are currently undergoing renovations. Our room had new paint, new mattress, new bedding. The bathroom was clean (although I could do without the squishy toilet seat), the A/C was cold, and breakfast was adequate. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They're trying to make the place nicer. I just hope they don't plan to increase the prices after all the renovations are finished. It's expensive enough as it is. One other thing to note...I booked the room using their online reservation system. I needed to request a lower level room at the last minute and the request was correctly passed on to the staff at the inn. They had a lower level room waiting for us, just as we had requested.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Location is the biggest factor this hotel has going for it as it is about one mile from the Cedar Pass Lodge/Restaurant/Gift Shop and the park's visitor's center. Not finding a vacancy at the lodge's cabins for my planned stay time, I made reservations at the Badlands Inn. My understanding is that both the lodge and the inn are operated by the same company. It appears that management is trying to update the Badlands Inn as I heard something about new AC units and that the mattresses were replaced recently. While I was there, some maintenance/upgrade work was underway on the exterior of the inn. Everything was fairly basic and the room was clean. The breakfast is advertised as continental and it is definitely that with no hot dishes (unless you count a microwaved muffin). The only issues I experienced while there was the AC unit and the Wi-Fi. Although loud, the AC worked well when I first arrived but overnight the cold air output decreased and the noise increased. I reported the problem the next morning and by the time I got back to the room later in the day the output was greatly increased and the noise was decreased, somewhat. When I reported the issue, the unit was described as an "older unit" so I assume that not all of the rooms have this potential issue. Although it was easy to connect to the Wi-Fi, online results were not very forthcoming. I even went to the office where the signal showed to be fairly strong but still was able to accomplish little online. I wish more reviews would contain specifics about the quality of Wi-Fi at hotels as many establishments seem to acquire some quality of Wi-Fi signal, throw it out there and then they're able to advertise "We have Wi-Fi" ignoring what the usability might be.

Ironwood, Michigan
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Our stay was OK, I guess it is a typical motel - overpriced due to it's location and lack of other lodging competition. The staff is VERY friendly and helpful, the AC works very well. Our bathroom door would not shut at all, which was a bit awkward with 4 people in the room. The linens on the bed were torn and the carpet in the room was a bit gross, but overall it is probably the best choice in the area. We ate at 1 of the 2 choices to eat dinner at - Cedar Lodge Restaurant. Again, no real competition for them, so the food and service was pretty basic. It think if I did this trip all over again, I would plan to drive through the badlands, hike around for the day & head into another town to spend the night. BUT if you didn't mind the desolation and just needed a comfortable bed to rest your head for the night at a bit of a price, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Interior hotels

Long Valley, New Jersey
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The best thing about Badlands Inn is its location. The room and bathroom was clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfast area is a little small for the number of guests they have but it is well stocked and the lady working at the desk was very friendly. We had issues trying to connect to wifi with our mobile devices a result of their network's limited bandwidth. Can't beat the location though!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had an OK stay here. The best thing about it was its location; there are very few other lodging options this within the Badlands. Of course, you pay quite a bit more for the location, which budget-conscious folks such as myself seldom like to do. However, the view is quite impressive, as you are right next to the wall of the Badlands and sunrise and sunset are quite spectacular to see from here. The staff was professional and friendly.

The room was adequate. Overall, it was clean and odor-free, and had good climate control. There were a couple of flies that were very annoying and tough to get rid of though. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean and odor-free. There was a TV, but I did not watch it. There was free Wi-Fi, which was dependable. There was a small continental breakfast, which was mainly cold items with toast-able items.

The one negative was that I had difficulty getting into my room. I had to walk back down stairs from the second floor to the front desk with my baggage to tell the front desk that I could not get in. The front desk staff though was prompt and went back up to find a solution, and found that you had to turn the door handle quite a bit forcefully to open the latch. After this I had no further problems, but I always find it annoying when I have to walk back to the front desk with all my baggage, and it doesn't set a good first impression.

Folks that like lodging in comfort within the convenient premises may find the $140 price reasonable. I, on the other hand would not stay here again because of it's low overall value; the overall star quality is more like a $50 to $80 inn, but you pay for location. In the future I would pay less at a different location further away, or camp if I wanted to stay on site.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bandurriaman
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed 1 August 2013

This inn is no Marriott, but it is well worth the price. The lady at the front desk is extra warm and helpful. The rooms are clean and updated (as I gather, some are renovated and others are in the process). The beds and bathrooms look good. There is an amazing view of the Badlands since it is located right outside of the Interior gate. The scene is peaceful, calm, and very family friendly. Almost all the visitors we have seen have children. There are no pool, gym, laundry, or other amenities, but we aren't looking for them, so it doesn't effect the rating. We have not had the continental breakfast yet, but the list of options looks decent: bagels, oatmeal, fruit, coffee, etc.... no eggs and bacon, but it will surely suffice. Microwave, mini-fridge, and coffee are all found in the rooms. Overall, I am very happy with our choice to stay here and would definitely recommend it to someone just needing a place to stay for the night.

Room Tip: All rooms have a view. Be prepared for very few choices of nearby restaurants.