“Great Location, Poor Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Badlands Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Interior
Badlands Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Interior B&B and Inns
Mobile
“Great Location, Poor Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We stayed at the Badlands Inn only because of the location - in the Badlands. The hotel is a very old building which has seen better days.

The check-in was friendly and courteous and our hotel staff member was super accomodating.
But, when we arrived at the hotel, just one mile away, we noticed a very strong foul odor in the room which we immediately tried to clear out of the room by opening windows and the door. The smell was strong enough during the night to wake me up several times.

The beds had new mattresses and bedding, the rest of the room was very plain, not very appealing,done on the cheap and not up to the quality expected of a room of that price ($120). The floor needs to be redone in each room and the carpet definitely needs to be replaced.

We did not stay for the breakfast because we left very early the next morning to be in place for the sunrise over the Badlands. But, the clerk nicely gave us a credit for the cost of the breakfast.

I would not stay at this notel again unless I was confident it had been brought up to decent standards.

Everyone at the Cedar Pass Lodge, office for the Badlands Motel, was nice, courteous, and friendly. Dinner at the Lodge restaurant was surprisingly good and service very fast and efficient.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Stafford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

The appearance of the Badlands Inn from the outside does look dated, however what makes this motel special is its position. Located just outside the Badlands N.P. it is perfect for anyone visiting the Badlands. The views at any time of the day are good but at sunset and sunrise they are stunning. On arrival we were given a very warm welcome, our room was very clean and comfortable and had everything we needed. Some chairs to sit outside on the veranda would have been nice. Breakfast was good and the coffee had flavour and a bit of strength to it which I find unusual for an American motel/hotel. Price might seem a bit steep at first but you're paying for its position and the fact that there are no other motels this close to the park. I can certainly recommend the Badlands Inn as a place to stay if visiting the Badlands.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Great room very spacious and nice tohave a fridge in the room. Great location to park and the view out our windows is amazing despite the powerlines lol.room was clean, has microwave,TV and wifi but the signal does drop in and out.Access to the park is great but we were disappointed not to be told that the cedar lodge operating hours changed in the middle of our stay. It would be worth asking about hours when you check in. overall exacting what we were looking for.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Nebraska, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

We spent 1 night at this hotel and found it to be very adequate for what we were needing. Yes, the room was small, the bathroom was small, the carpet is old and the A/C is noisy. But, they are currently undergoing renovations. Our room had new paint, new mattress, new bedding. The bathroom was clean (although I could do without the squishy toilet seat), the A/C was cold, and breakfast was adequate. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. They're trying to make the place nicer. I just hope they don't plan to increase the prices after all the renovations are finished. It's expensive enough as it is. One other thing to note...I booked the room using their online reservation system. I needed to request a lower level room at the last minute and the request was correctly passed on to the staff at the inn. They had a lower level room waiting for us, just as we had requested.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

Location is the biggest factor this hotel has going for it as it is about one mile from the Cedar Pass Lodge/Restaurant/Gift Shop and the park's visitor's center. Not finding a vacancy at the lodge's cabins for my planned stay time, I made reservations at the Badlands Inn. My understanding is that both the lodge and the inn are operated by the same company. It appears that management is trying to update the Badlands Inn as I heard something about new AC units and that the mattresses were replaced recently. While I was there, some maintenance/upgrade work was underway on the exterior of the inn. Everything was fairly basic and the room was clean. The breakfast is advertised as continental and it is definitely that with no hot dishes (unless you count a microwaved muffin). The only issues I experienced while there was the AC unit and the Wi-Fi. Although loud, the AC worked well when I first arrived but overnight the cold air output decreased and the noise increased. I reported the problem the next morning and by the time I got back to the room later in the day the output was greatly increased and the noise was decreased, somewhat. When I reported the issue, the unit was described as an "older unit" so I assume that not all of the rooms have this potential issue. Although it was easy to connect to the Wi-Fi, online results were not very forthcoming. I even went to the office where the signal showed to be fairly strong but still was able to accomplish little online. I wish more reviews would contain specifics about the quality of Wi-Fi at hotels as many establishments seem to acquire some quality of Wi-Fi signal, throw it out there and then they're able to advertise "We have Wi-Fi" ignoring what the usability might be.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ironwood, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

Our stay was OK, I guess it is a typical motel - overpriced due to it's location and lack of other lodging competition. The staff is VERY friendly and helpful, the AC works very well. Our bathroom door would not shut at all, which was a bit awkward with 4 people in the room. The linens on the bed were torn and the carpet in the room was a bit gross, but overall it is probably the best choice in the area. We ate at 1 of the 2 choices to eat dinner at - Cedar Lodge Restaurant. Again, no real competition for them, so the food and service was pretty basic. It think if I did this trip all over again, I would plan to drive through the badlands, hike around for the day & head into another town to spend the night. BUT if you didn't mind the desolation and just needed a comfortable bed to rest your head for the night at a bit of a price, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Interior hotels

Long Valley, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

The best thing about Badlands Inn is its location. The room and bathroom was clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfast area is a little small for the number of guests they have but it is well stocked and the lady working at the desk was very friendly. We had issues trying to connect to wifi with our mobile devices a result of their network's limited bandwidth. Can't beat the location though!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Interior
Best Western Plains Motel
America's Best Value Inn
Econo Lodge Wall
Econo Lodge Wall
#8 of 11 in Wall

Been to Badlands Inn? Share your experiences!