“Home away from home”
Review of North Road Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Los Alamos
North Road Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Los Alamos B&B and Inns
Arvada Colorado
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 1 April 2009

My family and I stayed one night at the North Road Inn. In the end, we wished we could have stayed longer. We had a weekend breakfast, which they bill as "continental" but that is an understatement. Although there was nothing "hot", the breakfast choices were still varied and plentiful. Many of the people in the dining room are "regulars" who are open and friendly, making for good breakfast conversation if you want to partake.

The "room" we had is more of a condominium. It was not elegant, but comfortable and sunny. The kitchen was well-stocked with needed pans, dishes and utensils.

For less than the price of many smaller and less pleasant hotel rooms, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank AidanSineadsMom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 21 March 2009

I stayed at the NRI in March 2009 based on reviews from Tripadvisor and I was very disappointed. I was travelling with my son on a father/son road trip during spring break and thought a two bedroom suite would be nice.

Pros: Cathy, the manager, was very nice and knowledgeable of the area. I could not get my son up by the end of breakfast service (8:30am) but I'm sure it is a fine meal.
The room rate was reasonable at $85.
The location was fine, in a residential neighborhood, a bit of a drive to shopping and restaurants (of which there is little choice in Los Alamos).
There is a kitchenette with a stove and microwave and sink so you could do some simple cooking.

Cons: Cathy seems a little overwhelmed by running this Inn and is a bit disorganized. Expect to leave a message on the phone and hope she calls you back.
The room was very tired and dated. It felt like a time warp back to the 1950's. Old blue carpet, old stained and scratched furnishings and woodwork. It would take a handy man a while to fix all the little things in disrepair in this suite. The bed was old but reasonably comfortable. Random cheap decorations sort of placed willy nilly. The room looked like it had been painted by a high school kid. There were a bunch of rotten wood chips that leaked into the bathtub where the tile was missing caulk when I took a shower. Be aware this place is not air conditioned and the only fresh air comes from two sliding glass doors. Two fans were provided. Although this was March, the room felt stuffy with the doors closed. The two back bedrooms were very dark and had no windows. I don't know how anyone can stay here in the Summer. You would have to leave your doors open and then still be miserable, I imagine. If you leave your doors open, besides the security concern, cars drive by about 30 feet away and people are walking up and down the walkway right next to your doors, talking to each other at a very early hour.
Los Alamos seems like a very safe town but there is very little to do here. It is about 40 minutes drive to Santa Fe and I would recommend staying there if you are just touring the area. I booked a infinitely nicer room in Santa Fe using Hotwire for $61, tax and fees included.
I would only recommend NRI in cool weather for a family on a budget who needs temporary accomodations in Los Alamos who would like a kitchenette.

• Stayed March 2009
Minnesota
Reviewed 18 February 2009

My husband and I were delighted with the extraordinary breakfast at this B & B. The atmosphere was casually elelgant and the selection provided anything you could possibly desire. Even though we arrived near to the end of the breakfast hour, Catherine cooked us a full meal with eggs and pancakes. Great coffee! I would recommend the North Road Inn to anyone staying in Los Alamos. Wonderful.
Linda and Don

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lindagrounds
Austin
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I was a little hesitant to bring my 3 sons to an Inn - but Kathy the innkeeper said it would be OK. It was more than OK. The park across the street is fantastic for parents and kids alike. The town has much to do but is idyllic for a city dweller who wants to unwind. Bandelier Nat'l Park is but a brief 20 minute drive (and well worth it). Breakfast prepared by Kathy is more than adequate and we didn't want for anything - OK, a fan (which we promptly received) as far as our accommodations. I would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank theloneyoni
Arlington TX
Reviewed 10 September 2006

I travel a lot. This was by far the best place I have stayed in years. The 4 room suite was imaculate and nicely decorated. My brother and I stayed in the Eagle room.

The breakfast and company was just as wonderful.

• Liked — The friendliness of the owner
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Find this place!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MarkVT
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 May 2005

I absolutely loved the North Road Inn bed & breakfast. I have stayed at three of the local hotels and the B&B had much better food, a more comfortable bed, and better living arrangements. It was very comfortable & friendly, & the kitchenette really helped, since Los Alamos restaurants close by 8 pm. It was also MUCH quieter than the hotels I had stayed in. It's the first time I've been able to sleep normally on a business trip. All that, and it had high-speed internet access in the room and cost less than the chain hotels. I'll be staying there whenever possible in the future.

• Stayed February 2003, travelled on business
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 February 2004

I came here for an interview trip and wanted to pick some place that would help give me a feeling of what the area was like. I was not disappointed in the North Road Inn. The proprietress, Cathy, is a congenial and very helpful hostess and, having lived here many years, is able to tell one much about the place. In addition, she makes very good breakfasts!I was offered a job at the Lab and decided we would stay at the North Road Inn while we house-hunted. Our house-hunting and stay at the Inn lasted 46 days. We are now friends with Cathy and stop by to visit with her.I wholeheartedly recomment the North Road Inn.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
#52 of 60 in Santa Fe
Hilton Santa Fe Buffalo Thunder

Been to North Road Inn? Share your experiences!