Stayed in a King room that turned out to be handicap accessible; though not needed for us, we kept it. The property is relatively new (built within ~ the last 4 years), yet we discovered flaws in security, workmanship, maintenance, & service that were note-worthy. Here is the list:
1. Front desk agent left desk unattended and two stacks of guest hotel folios (receipts) on the front desk right next to a sign that says they are away and to dial 401 for assistance. Were I being criminal, I could have walked out the door with any of them, seen who was there, gotten their booking addresses, seen their bills, noted their room numbers and what was charged, how long they stayed--a total lapse in security. I shared this event with the hotel desk staff.
2. In our room were several issues in bath mostly, and a few in room.
a. Bath: there was a vent over the toilet, but no operable fan.
b. Bath: the sink center-set faucet was off its mount.
c. Bath: the tub spout was loose and spun around; caulking was already broken * needs repair.
d. Bath: tub stopper did not function & removed even while hotel staff said it was not supposed to remove. Had to purchase a stopper at a local store to take a bath. No adjustments to bill offered.
e. Bath: in particular for a handicap accessible room, the shower head is located ~7 feet off the floor, requiring people who cannot reach that high to climb for adjustments to spray pattern and direction of water flow. Recommended slide-rail hand-showers.
f. Bath: the shower curtain did not secure to the shower wall at grab bar location between the faucet handle and shower head, and water sprayed onto floor, creating a mini-flood, time sopping up, and soaking wet towels for housekeeping to face.
g. Bath: the hot water was not hot; at 9A it was warm with the handle set to the hottest position. If you expect a little more than warm for bathing, you will be disappointed.
h. Bath: space is available on wall behind door and next to shower for robe/towel hooks, yet none are there, and one is found across the room, between the toilet & sink. This requires travel and navigation across the room from the shower and around the toilet to get to what's on the hook. Recommended adding hook(s) next to shower.
i. Room: one of the bedside table lamps did not work. Upon close inspection, the unit was unplugged from the wall. Attempted to plug in, and didn't work. Front desk said that is because the outlets have a protection mechanism on them that is difficult to operate, but can be done with force. Recommended housekeeping ensure room was fully ready prior to arrival.
j: Room: the curtains are located directly over the air handling unit. The result is that when using a/c or heat, the air blows behind the curtains and into the window sill area rather than into the room. The workaround is to have the curtains open or, since they have some weight in them, sit them up onto the sill and out of the vent-flow area.
k: Room: the wall switches at entry are confusing. 2 are on the wall next to the door as usual, and one marked "Master Switch" was on the wall a foot away. We turned the two next to door and nothing happened; then we tried the master on the next wall since it was off. Then we saw an alarm light go off; so we turned all off except the master and started again. Great fun. Took overnight to learn that 1 of the 2 switches at the door is for an alarm called a "sympathy" system that is presumably for calling for help. What would have made a difference was to have this switch marked, so alarms would not be going off at the front desk unless actually help was requested.
3. Worthy of a submission to the Tonight Show with Jay Leno, someone removed letters from a notice on the door to the Pool. It would otherwise say, "No food or glass in pool area. No exceptions!!!" but actually says, "No food or a s s in pool area. No exceptions." This will be worth a chuckle, perhaps, and at least a few conversations if you are or have a young person along. I shared this with the hotel front desk staff, and they said they were aware but did not have a plan for making repairs on the message.
I also shared most of these issues with the front desk and they said they would communicate them to the manager. They also said the manager was not there and had called to say she would not be coming in that day. Sounded like flaky management.
On the positive side, the room was spacious and quiet, had nicely appointed furnishings, and breakfast was pleasant and fulfilling for typical hotel breakfasts. But be prepared for the housekeeping staff to show up to start their morning shift and hit the breakfast buffet before they work, and mope around as a gang in the dining area like children resisting going to school, gossiping in Spanish. And if you happen to walk down the hallway that has the laundry room, they'll likely all be in there together with the door propped open, talking loudly--yes this actually happened--as if we all could join in, fold towels, and catch up on the latest "news" of northern New Mexico.
In short, some hits and some big misses that would cause me to think twice about staying at this property again until they bring the level of maintenance, workable features, and service up. And certainly not worth $120, $115, or even $87 a night. At least this time they had a phone at the front desk with a note to call for help when the desk attendant was away, and help came immediately. Last time I was at this hotel, there was no such way to reach anyone, and a person could stand for a long while at the front desk, call into a back room and get no service.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Alamos Entrada Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites Los Alamos Entrada Park