“Excellent Museum with friendly, helpful staff!”

Bradbury Science Museum
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Los Alamos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Approximately 60 interactive exhibits trace the history of the WWII Manhattan Project, highlight Los Alamos National Laboratory's current and historic research projects related to defense and technology, and focus on Laboratory research related to energy, environment, infrastructure, health and global security concerns. These exhibits together with extensive educational and community programs draw nearly 80,000 visitors a year. Admission is FREE and open to the public. We are open every day except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day. Hours: Tuesday through Saturday: 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Sunday & Monday: 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM
Phoenix
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Excellent Museum with friendly, helpful staff!”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is a great museum for learning all about the Manhattan Project. Admittedly, my husband and adult son enjoyed it more than I did, but I still found it interesting and I learned a lot. The short films that are shown are very informative and interesting, especially the one that details the history of the project. The staff members at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. They warmly greet everyone who enters and explain a little about the museum. They are also great with answering questions and, just like a previous poster had done, we too asked if we could drive by where the National Laboratory is and were cheerfully provided with a map and directions on how to get there and then continue on back to Santa Fe.
One thing to be aware of, they do not open until 1:00 on Sundays and Mondays. They open at 10:00 on all other days.

1 Thank KT2723

Houston, Texas
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Interesting and Informative for All”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We made a special trip to Los Alamos from Angel Fire to see this museum. I thought it would give my son a more in-depth look at the history of nuclear weapons. The museum didn't disappoint with a film about the development of the first atomic bomb, information on the individuals involved and more. I recommend this for both older children, teens and adults.

1 Thank dcrossfromtexas
Dallas Texas
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Very Informative and Interesting!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We planned our route from Colorado to Texas so that we could make a stop here to see where the atomic bomb was invented and to learn more about the Manhattan Project. Our schedule was only going to allow us 45 minutes in the museum since the website said they would close at 5pm. We were greeted warmly by the attendant at the front desk and she gave us a brief over view of the museum and suggested we choose between the 2 films about to be shown for the last time that day. While we were perusing the exhibits she came running over to tell us the museum was staying open late until 7pm that night! We were excited that this would allow us to be able to see both films and spend time studying everything of interest.

The museum is small but PACKED with lots of information and many exhibits using multi-media and modern technology. There are full sized replicas of the Little Boy and Fat Man bombs with full details of how they were engineered. There are also exhibits explaining modern day advances in cancer research and nano technology that take place at the Los Alamos National Laboratory today.
This museum is a GEM and well worth the visit!

1 Thank ATexasMom
Port Ludlow, Washington
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Good for young and old alike”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Great free attraction in Los Alamos. Excellent exhibits detailing the history of nuclear weapons along with a great variety of other science based exhibits and activities. We took our 11 year old daughter and she didn't want to leave.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank pmwentling
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Some people will love it; I didn't”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Although I like science, I found this museum to be a strange combination of slightly boring and slightly creepy (because of the subtly propaganda-ish tone of all of the material about nuclear weapons). It was sort of like "Wow, you sure can learn some really cool stuff in the process of developing horrible weapons that can kill tens of thousands of people!" And yes, I'm well aware of the argument that dropping the atomic bomb saved many civilian and military lives--but we could still be quite a bit more conflicted and sad about it all than this museum seemed to me to be. The film about the history of Los Alamos was pretty engaging, though hokey in places. Looking at the reviews, it's clear that most people (including my husband) have enjoyed the museum very much and didn't experience it the way I did. If you find yourself feeling like me, though, there's an ice cream shop nearby that you can escape to.

1 Thank Squeakycats