“Awesome at night”
Review of Emory Peak

Emory Peak
More attraction details
Owner description: The highest peak in the park at 7,835 feet.
Reviewed 30 June 2013

To avoid the heat we hiked up in the evening and saw the sunset from the top, highly recomended. We camped out over night, there camp sites are secluded and unexpectedly well kept. We hiked back down the next morning. It was such an awesome experience, can't wait to do it again.

1  Thank Ryan C

Reviewed 15 June 2013

The trail was well-marked and clean. It's a strenuous hike to the top but the view was magnificent. The climb to the peak was confusing and scary since you need to climb rocks with no clear path. We eventually managed and saw a tree full of ladybugs while up there. We saw antenna and some panels. The view of the mountains surrounding the peak with the green trees was remarkable. A blue bird followed us while we were walking down the trail. Other hikers must've been feeding them that's why they're not scared of people. It was so nice to see cactii, plants and animals while hiking.

Before you resume to the top, a locker is provided if you need to leave some heavy stuff (at your own risk). A stinky toilet (what do you expect) is accessible at that stop too.

Don't forget to bring lots of water, trail food, sun protection (sunscreen, cap) insect repellent and of course, your camera. Expect about 7 hours to complete the hike.

Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

This turned into a huge disappointment due to the massive swarm of small flying insects that I have no idea what they were that seem to only live exactly at the summit of Emory peak. The trail to the summit was the most strenuous hiking we did in the park and actually reaching the summit requires climbing about 20 feet of rock with good hand and foot holds. I don't even remember the view since I spent the whole 5 minutes on the summit spinning in circles and waving my arms. Bugs are gone as soon as you're off the summit and never encountered anything like it anywhere else. Still worth it though to be able to say we reached the summit

Reviewed 1 May 2013

This hike is kind of a rite of passage for Big Bend hikers, if your capable, you just kinda gotta do it cause everyone will be asking about it when you start talking about this park. It’s long, hot (most of the year), and this is what you get to climb at the end of it. That really was the kicker, anyone in shape can get to this point but climbing this thing ups the pucker factor a little. All that being said I’m glad I did it but once is enough for me. Leave early take lots of water and a lunch, trail is pretty easy to fallow, maps will give you varying distances but my GPS said it was all of 10.4 round trip miles and we took the most direct route possible (I think).

1  Thank Jeff M
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Takes 2 to 2.5 hours up, and less down. Have to scramble up some bare rock to get to the top but that is easy enough. It's the highest peak in the Chisos! A must do! The views are spectacular. Why? Because it's there!

1  Thank VillaTerlingua