“Travels with Sammy (my Bichon)”

Island Acres Resort Motel
Ranked #1 of 5 Gunnison B&B and Inns
Tempe, Arizona, United States
“Travels with Sammy (my Bichon)”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I had been traveling with my dog Sampson from Ouray to Gunnison. We had been staying at KOA's, during our previous nights travels. When I arrived at the KAO in Gunnison, it was at the conclusion of the 24-hour Mountain Bike event and the grounds were crazy. The manager kindly suggested I try Island Acres Resort just across the highway. I took his advice and was so glad that I did. Pam, the owner, was very gracious and offered me a couple of different pet friendly rooms to look at. The little efficiency units were immaculate and reminded me of décor from my parent's home in Pittsburgh, while we were growing up. What impressed me the most was the comfort of the bed AND the freshness of the sheets and towels. They were so soft and smelled so fresh that I had to compliment Pam upon my leaving the next day. The kitchenette was fully stocked too. So you can safe additional monies by having such features for meal planning. Another nice feature is the location of this hotel to the Gunnison River. It is so easy to walk to this soothing and relaxing river. If you like Trout fishing, this is the place to stay.

Well done Tim & Pam and I guarantee that I will stay here again, upon my next visit to Gunnison or Crested Butte.

Dave Amrhein
Tempe, AZ

Room Tip: The grounds are very quiet and I believe any room would be good. I also LOVED the fact that this hot...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Mesa, Idaho
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We stayed in cabin 2 and the place was perfect! Clean, comfy bed and such friendly owners/operators! The cabin had everything we needed, fridge, stove, microwave and again, did I say clean!! Pam and Tim are good, honest and very friendly people! The grounds are very well kept and we had deer visitors every evening!! Nice outside porch area as well!! Great place to stay and very reasonably priced as well!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Boerne, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2013

My husband and I, along with our family dog, had a wonderful stay here. The room, with its mid-century decor, was fun, comfortable, clean and had everything we needed for our overnight stay.We walked the neighborhood and along the Gunnison River which has river access just across the street. We also very much enjoyed the front porch, yard swing and flower garden. Another wonderful thing was being able to open the windows to allow that wonderful Colorado air into our room. We plan to return again and stay longer.
Well Done!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
San Marcos, Texas
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Our room was great - had kitchenette (stove, microwave, sink, full fridge) with everything we could need, dining table, sitting area with a nice big flat screen tv and comfy couch. Bedroom area was separated from kitchen, so anyone sleeping late wasn't disturbed (same for bathroom). Great front porch - could sit outside and enjoy the surroundings even when raining. Everything was super clean. We have stayed at this location 2 years in a row and is the only spot we would consider when we go to Gunnison. Very Clean, Very Comfortable, Very Quiet, Very Affordable!!

Room Tip: Many room configurations and bed arrangements to choose from - couples definitely would want Room #2...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Denton, Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at Island Acres for 3 nights with our 2 small dogs. It was exactly what we needed--- a clean place with a comfy bed, wifi, and a tv. As for the outside, the surroundings were perfect for our dogs as the motel is located within a quiet neighborhood. Directly behind the immediate neighborhood, a road continues that provides access to beautiful views of the river. Across the highway from the hotel is a walking trail along the river. The location of Island Acres is ideal as it's situated on the edge of town but only takes 5 minutes to get to the center of Gunnison and 35 minutes to Crested Butte. We should have opted for a 2-bed cabin as suggested when traveling with more than one pet as our space was a little tight, but the price still made it a good value.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We recently spent a week at this relaxing gem of a motel. Lovely setting, very comfy beds & rooms, extremely clean, and complete in-room kitchens with everything you need to make a meal. Also provided - outdoor grills and a place for evening s'mores in the center island campfire. The proprietors are very knowledgeable about activities in the area - hiking, biking, boating, arts activities, exploring the fantastic Gunnison / Crested Butte area. Also, great spot for a family gathering, such as a family reunion, birthday gathering, club gathering, etc. We'll be back, often! Note, we've stayed at the Island several times in the last seven years and it just keeps getting better!

Room Tip: At the west end of town, across from the white water park and turn to Hartman's, a great hiking...
Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Missouri
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This is a great place to stay and was quiet! We stayed in a king room with a kitchen. There was plenty of room, and the bed was comfortable. The kitchen was sufficient to prepare our meals. We parked in front of our door. The location was good for several day trips in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family