“Clean and Comofrtable.”
Review of The Western Motel

The Western Motel
Ranked #2 of 5 Gunnison B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This place met our clean and comfortable standards. We have asthma and allergies and did not experience any challenges here. It was the perfect location to access the various attractions in the area. Breakfast waffles are a must eat! I would gladly trade this casual and relaxed atmosphere for the over priced chain hotels. The hotel keepers were very helpful and gladly gave us our requested room preview. The visitor's center is a stones throw form the hotel. We liked this town!

Room Tip: Our room was near the back of the hotel and we frequently sat at the picnic table located on the sm...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 July 2012

This was the worst place we stayed on our vacation. First upon arrival the man at the front desk was not nice, very rough speaking toward us. The room was clean and roomy but drop cords everywhere. The TV was a nice flat screen but so fuzzy you couldn't hardly see it. We didn't even try the hot tub, there was a lock on the door. This could have been a very nice

place to but the "owner" was not polite. When I'm spending nearly $100 per night people should be nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lisa W
Reviewed 11 July 2012

I stopped in for a quick one night stay at The Western Motel on a May solo trip to Colorado. The outside appearance looked a bit dodgy as I pulled in, but I figured in the quaint town of Gunnison there would be no worries.

The bed was uncomfortable (very firm) and the television mounted in the most odd position, as it sat high on the wall directly to the right side of the bed. It's budget lodging, though, and quirks are to be expected. In any case it was a quick stay and, having another long drive the next morning, I awoke early and left the room at 5AM, neatly placing the room key beside the television remote. I generally trust this as an acceptable method of check-out. As always, I left the room in excellent condition - I can empathize with housekeepers and their dealings, and always try to do what I can to make their job as easy as possible.

When I arrived home and received my credit card statement, I had a $10 surcharge from the Western Motel. I called and spoke to a female at the desk who advised the surcharge was for the room key not being accounted for; however, she also commented that the motel had experienced trouble in the past from housekeepers losing keys and suggested I call back and speak to a manager to further discuss. Consequently I called back and spoke to a male manager who insisted I had stolen his key. I eloquently explained my side of the story and asked that he take action to make things right... I was told tough luck.

I will be the first to give someone the benefit of a doubt, especially if only $10 is on the line. BUT to be called a thief for stealing a room key when it is most certainly the fault of the motel property is too much. I will never stay in this motel again and strongly suggest others avoid.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank James W
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The lady working at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. She was the best thing about the motel. The room was ok - pretty large, even with a closet, but definitely older. The beds were the least comfortable of any place on our 8 day vacation, although they certainly weren't the worst I've ever slept on. The continental breakfast area was small and crowded. The waffles stuck to the waffle maker no matter how much spray you sprayed on it. The biggest disappointment was the hot tub. It was in a separate structure kind of like a green house and there was a $25 deposit to use it. We arrived at the motel only half an hour before it closed and it wasn't worth messing with the deposit, even though we were very tired after a long day's drive and it would have been very relaxing.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2012

pros:big room,clean, great price,great location, safe,liked all the different color towels in the bathroom, water pressure in shower was great, pillow/ beds comfortable, functioning refridgerator/coffee maker/microwave, lots of closet space, wifi, Friendly staff
cons: odd parking, small bathroom, only two pillows per bed, tv picture had static, odd paint color for hotel room,
if price was right would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I chose the Western Motel because of several positive reviews but I could not disagree more. The room was really small and everything seemed to be falling off the wall. The carpet was very scuzzy and there was no service whatsoever. Was glad to get out of there and move on to nicer digs.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ross112
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Stayed one night on a Southern Colorado Tour. Came with my wife and daughter. Clean and comfortable. Reasonably priced. Conveniently located. Would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family